Just Got My Gibson Super Truck Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003 | 11:43 AM
|
Just Got My Gibson Super Truck Installed

I just got my Gibson Super Truck catback exhaust installed. I like it a lot. It has passed the *wife* test too

It's not too loud but sounds really nice.

One note on installation. I had a local muffler shop install mine because when I got it the box was beat up by UPS. The hangers were bent and the two exhaust pipes had to be bent upon installation so they were also both horizontally even for a nicer fit and finish. I didn't want to mess up my $260 Gibson so it was worth it to me to get it done and not have to crawl under there.

The review and installation instructions on this site at

https://www.f150online.com/reviews/gibson.html

is different from the instruction that come in the box. The kit comes with a 4 inch insert pipe for the do-it yourself person. Cut your existing pipe per the instructions in the box and use the 4" extension pipe. If a muffler shop does the job he can heat up the old pipe and get it off without cutting and can bolt up the new Gibson catback but in the pro installation case YOU DO NOT NEED THE 4" INSERT. Believe me on this and save yourself some frustration because it wont line up right.

Old 01-07-2003 | 08:28 PM
How much did you spend to have the ST installed? I want to know just in case I decide to have it done at the pro shop. Was the price reasonable? I just dont want to get ripped off.
Morever, I have some Westin platinum nerfbars on, you think it will interfere with the Gibson ST installation?

Old 01-07-2003 | 08:38 PM
|
I had it put on Saturday afternoon because I was *anxious* heh
so I didn't shop the install price. They charged me $70 bucks but if it was a weekday and I wanted to shop the install I probably could have got it for $35 to $50. It takes less than an hour to do the job. I went to my local Meineke.

I shopped the Gibson Super Truck online and got a good deal so the money I saved on the unit more than made up for the install price. $260 + $70 = $330. Not too bad I figure.

Post a picture of your nerf bars and maybe I can tell you if they would clear.

The wife has been driving it for 2 days now and is not complaining so that's a good sign.

PM me if you want to know where I got the Gibson.

Old 01-07-2003 | 09:46 PM
Sweet!

You got a good deal on the muffler ...and congratulations. I cant wait to get mine! Here is a picture of my screw with the nerf bars on... You think I should order my Gibson ST now?

Last edited by kaliscrew2k2; 01-07-2003 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2003 | 01:05 AM
If you like it thats all that matters, I hated my Flow setup, I have my Magnaflow now, and I couldnt be happier.

Old 01-08-2003 | 02:09 AM
|
Re: Sweet!

Originally posted by kaliscrew2k2
You got a good deal on the muffler ...and congratulations. I cant wait to get mine! Here is a picture of my screw with the nerf bars on... You think I should order my Gibson ST now?
Oh Yeah!

Should be no problem!

It exits right in front of the tire. Here's a pic from the site. I don't have apic of mine yet.

email hapynzap@yahoo.com

Last edited by hapynzap; 01-08-2003 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-08-2003 | 08:24 PM
Ordering ST exhaust

I am in the process of searching for a good price on the Gibson ST exhaust. Where did you get yours if you don't mind me asking.

Old 01-08-2003 | 10:23 PM
|
I got mine thru Summit Racing. $289 less 10% discount code M26100 (at least it worked last week). I'd call them to make sure you are getting the discount, PLUS you have to order a minimum of $300 to get the 10% off discount which should be no problem. I'm sure you can find some sort of accesory to buy for at least $11 to put you over the $300 price break, heh. Free shipping and I think they have an order charge of $7.95. I also bought a bunch of other stuff and it also qualified for the 10% off like a Flex-a-lite 270 electric fan kit.

Old 01-08-2003 | 11:15 PM
I have a 97 F159 with the 4.6L I hope I am as pleased with the sound of the exhaust as you are. I heard the sound clip on the Gibson website and I like the way it sounds. Have you done anything else to your truck.

Old 01-09-2003 | 01:12 AM
|
I just got a WMS ceramic coated Velocity tube (intake) but I didn't get it put on yet since it rained today, heh. Plus a K&N filter.
If I had it to do over I would have got the black powder coated one.

http://www.wmsracing.com/pgi-ProductSpec?WMS-VEL97F

My Flex-a-lite 270 electric fan set up is on back order and should be here in a couple weeks from Summit

I got a 6 CD changer, amp and couple rockford fossgate box speakers behind the seat. That's about it. It's my work truck but I really like it, especially now that it's paid off, heh

Old 01-18-2003 | 04:02 PM
|
Well it's been two weeks now and I really like the sound of this Gibson Super Truck. It's not too loud and it has a nice deep sound.

I kept my old mufler but now I'm thinking of just taking it over to Meineke and throwing it on their recycle pile. There's no way I'm gonna put that thing back on my truck so that it sounds like a station wagon again, heh

Last weekend I got the WMS intake put on with K&N but I haven't run a whole tank thru to check the milage.

My Flex-A-Lite 270 electric fan kit will be here first of the week and once I get that on the real milage test will begin.

Next mods I think will be some new Rancho shocks and I'm looking at a new air dam with fog lights.

Old 01-20-2003 | 07:12 PM
I have a Gibson Dual Sport cat-back system on my 97 F-150 Supercab 4x4 (4.6L) and I'm also pleased with the tone. Although in my opinion, it's on the quiet side for the street, it's just about right on the highway so you wouldn't be annoyed after driving for a lengh of time. I think the muffler is the same as the "super truck", but my system is perhaps somewhat quieter since the dual-tips exits past the right rear tire instead of in front of it.

Warren.

Old 01-20-2003 | 07:19 PM
|
Yes it's probably quiter than a magnaflow, heh

But I like it like that!

Like I said in my first post it had to pass the *wife* test and it did.

She drives the truck more than me lately.

UPS brought my Flex-A-Lite 270 electric fan kit today. Now I got another project to get busy on. Might not be till Saturday though. I can't afford to have the truck off line so to speak right now.

Old 01-20-2003 | 07:40 PM
It past my wife test too.

Is the reason why some owners, mainly 4x4 owners, don't put the electric fan kit is because the fan motor will short out if submerged in water? Not that I'm going to do any serious river crossings in my 4x4. Thanks in advance.

Warren.

Last edited by Warren S; 01-20-2003 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2003 | 10:33 PM
|
Yes I've heard that claim to about the fans shorting out on a 4x4 if it that deep of water but i've also heard you can rig a switch in the cab to shut the fans off for short periods of time to accomodate water crossings.

It's going to be interesting to me to see how well these fans work this summer both in performance of the AC and how it affects my gas milage.

Quick Reply: Just Got My Gibson Super Truck Installed