which exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2000 | 11:22 PM
|
Post which exhaust?

hey...i'm trying to decide which cat back exhaust sys. to purchase...Flowmaster, gibson, or borla....the major deciding factor would be HP gains...i'm also installing a superchip and K&N filter assembly at the same time as the exhaust. Any input and/or wav's would be beneficial. by the way...i own a 2000 F-150 w/4.6 auto

Old 01-25-2000 | 07:56 AM
Hi ieatdrt
Welcome to F150 online
I see you also live in Massachusetts.If I were you I would look for a system that is made out of stainless steel.The only one of the 3 you mentioned that is ss is the borla.
I am running a Bassani cat back, which is stainless
If your looking for HP gains, the first mod I would do is a Superchip.Of all the mods I have done on my 1999 4.6V8 the chip was the one that gave me the most power for the buck.
If you want to do the exhaust, do it for the sound, not the power.It seams that these engines do not benifit from exhaust as well as the 302/351's did.
If you have any questions look at my profile has a link to my web page, you can e-mail me with a way to contact you, and I can answer your questions, and maybee even show you the Bassani exhaust.
the web page for Bassani is http://www.bassani.com

Old 01-25-2000 | 10:14 PM
I am going to agree with Don C. If you want an exhaust, buy for the sound, not HP gains. I got a little better gas mileage with my Gibson, a gain in towing, and my transmission works better especially during highway driving (it shifts in and out of OD better). Gibson is supposed to be the best for towing, and that may be true (I have only owned a Gibson). However, HP gains is going to be virtually the same in all of the exhaust systems you mentioned. Gibson DOES make a stainless steel system, though, and I imagine Flowmaster does as well.

------------------
'97 F150 4x4 Off-Road Extended Cab Lariat Flareside white/tan, tan leather, 4.6

bedliner
single-lid toolbox
Gibson split-rear exit cat-back exhaust
K&N Air Filter

Many more modifications to come

Old 01-25-2000 | 10:28 PM
Do it for the sound! Here's a bitchin' Flowmaster wave file: http://home.columbus.rr.com/selva1/flow.wav
Best thing is, you can buy a flowmaster cat-back right here on the online store.

------------------
2000 XLT Black Sport, Flareside, 2WD, Ext. Cab, 5.4L Auto. Other factory options: 3.55 LS, Class III tow, 6-way Captains chairs w/CD changer, Remote entry , and Slider window.
Mods: Undercoat, window tint, headlight & tail light covers, removed "Sport" decals, upgraded Triton tailgate emblem, Linex spray-in bedliner, and an ARE LSII lid.
Wish list: Flowmaster duals, K&N FIPK or Velocity Tube, and a Belltech 3/4 drop.
Check it out at: http://home.columbus.rr.com/selva1/f150.html

Quick Reply: which exhaust?