4.9L header

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2000 | 09:04 AM
|
Post 4.9L header

Wondering if it is practical to install a header on a 4.9I6.
I was told that the stock manifold opening is virtually the same as a header so no power is gained. Not sure if that is true.
I would enjoy even a couple of HP and a better sound if it was worth the hassle of installing one.
Thanks Randy

------------------
95 F150 4.9 I6 MT

Old 03-03-2000 | 09:43 AM
Banned
The last several years that the 4.9L/300 c.i.d. was manufactured it had a nice dual outlet exhaust manifold very similar to Clifford's header setup. I don't think you would get any significant gain, if any, by replacing it. A good cat back system will help.

Old 03-03-2000 | 09:28 PM
Cool

I have a 1990 F 150 with the inline six-cylinder engine. I installed a K&N filter and removed when the truck was new muffler and ran duel tailpipes from the catalytic converter out the back of the truck. I also advanced the ignition timing about three degrees above factory and a truck runs great and sounds even better. Most people don't even believe that I don't have in the muffler on the truck. I have no problems ever passing the smog test either.

My 2¢,

Jeff

------------------
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

Old 08-05-2007 | 06:54 PM
Thumbs up

Hey i Have a 1996 F-150 with a 4.9 and i installed headman long tube headers witch have 2 separte collectors into dual 2 1/4 exhaust with two cats and single flowmaster dual inlet and outlet 40 series muffler. it made a huge diffrence in performance i was running 33" tires and stock you notice the load now it feels like the motor came out of a coma and will do burn outs all day long with ease. two thing though it is difficult to run two 2 1/4" pipes over the cross member and you must take intake off to get headers off to change starter

Old 09-16-2007 | 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by Madigan
Hey i Have a 1996 F-150 with a 4.9 and i installed headman long tube headers witch have 2 separte collectors into dual 2 1/4 exhaust with two cats and single flowmaster dual inlet and outlet 40 series muffler. it made a huge diffrence in performance i was running 33" tires and stock you notice the load now it feels like the motor came out of a coma and will do burn outs all day long with ease. two thing though it is difficult to run two 2 1/4" pipes over the cross member and you must take intake off to get headers off to change starter

where did u get the headers from?

Quick Reply: 4.9L header