Question about Gibson.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003 | 05:37 PM
|
Question about Gibson.

After I posted to Mike Troyer (A Magnaflow distributor) in the computerchip forum, I found out they don't make a stainless steel Magnaflow catback for the 4.2L V6 yet. So I think I'm going to go with a stainless Gibson sweptside catback. But I have a question to throw out before I make my choice. I was wondering if the stainless sweptside is completely stainless. Which means is the muffler itself, the 3" pipe, and the tip stainless steel? It seems I'm running out of choices here. Borla, Corsa, and Magnaflow do not make a stainless cat back for the 4.2L. Gibson is my last choice. Any help is welcome.

Old 01-20-2003 | 07:02 PM
I have a Gibson Dual Sport cat-back system on my 97 F-150 Supercab 4x4 (4.6L). All stainless. It's the one with the dual tips that exits past the right rear tire.

The muffler is stainless, and it appears so. The tailpipes don't look stainless, looks like just plain steel, but it hasn't corroded/rusted at all after having them a few years. The tips are stainless steel, not chrome. Not a cheap system. I think I paid something like $550, plus another $50 to have a muffler shop weld in each joint.

Warren.

Old 01-20-2003 | 07:13 PM
|
Thanks man. I'm either getting a stainless gibson, or some stainless steel pipe and just run a single exhaust with no muffler. I'm Not sure yet though.

Old 01-20-2003 | 07:24 PM
I think the best "sound" still comes from Flowmaster (40 series). But they unfortunately don't make it in stainless, only aluminumized.

I went for stainless because I want the exhaust system to last for the life of the truck. The only thing is that I'd like a little bit more aggressive sound, but it's just right for the highway for lengthy travels. I'm planning to get a set of shorty headers, have them jet-ceramic coated, perhaps this will open up the sound more.

Warren.

Old 01-20-2003 | 09:03 PM
|
Ya, a set of headers will make it sound a little throatier.

Quick Reply: Question about Gibson.