Difference in Mufflers ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003 | 07:27 AM
APT
Sickboy,

A catback or muffler back) system will not help the Lightning system as the stock muffler is a pretty good design for flow. However, the regular F-150's have a very poorly designed y-pipe and a very restrictive muffler. Some systems have provided up to 20hp and 20lb-ft improvements on a dyno.

Old 02-06-2003 | 09:39 AM
I stand corrected...Thanx APT

Old 02-06-2003 | 10:39 AM
hear ya . . .

alright, i'm listening to all this becuz i'm asking the same questions . . . for the performance/money is it better to buy a full catback system or just replace the muffler?? i'm gonna go out on a limb here an say that most of us wouldn't mind paying for the full catback if we knew that data showed the HP/Torque gain was there over a replacement Magnaflow/Gibson muffler. i'm just skeptical that replacing the 2.5" factory pipes to an aftermarket set actually helps that much. the muffler is obvious . . . but does the mandrel bent aftermarket setup of a catback really help over a lonely muffler replacement??

Old 02-06-2003 | 12:22 PM
APT
Spidy,

No one can tell you if the system will perform better than just a muffler replacement. Some people just want it a little louder and replace the muffler. Usually under $100 installed. Those types of people are not going to spend another $60 at a dyno to find out if it made any performance difference.

I don't like the term cat-back as that implies you change everything behind the cats, which none do on the F-150. The companies that sell muffler-back systems have the budget to test many different parts on the dyno and figure out what works best. Then assemble it and sell it as one piece and charge more than what similar parts would if bought individualy. This premium is for the R&D they did to figure out what worked. Can you get similar performance piecing together your own stuff? I think so, but do you think your exhaust shop knows how to? Do they have a dyno they test their customers' vehicles before and after? It is a risk one takes to save money and possibly get good performance. But I know no F-150 owners that have just replaced their muffler, did before/after dyno runs to find out how much it gained, then did the same with a muffler back system to see which worked better for their trucks. You are welcome to be the first, but everyone else relies on seat of the pants which is not accurate.

Here is a picture of the stock exhaust and a Magnaflow #15609 system. There are slight difference between the two in the over the axle section, and the tail pipe is 3". But where did Truckin' Magazine get 20Hp from, the muffler or tail pipe or both? I don't know. Like I said - there is a perfroamnce risk people take when not choosing a system. Many take that risk or don't care about performance.

IMO, the stock y-pipe and muffler are the two big restrictions. For a 5.4", using a better design of both, and using 3" after y-pipe tubing will probably provide the best performance, but the actual design of muffler and tubing is not something I have the budget to explore.

Last edited by APT; 02-07-2003 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-06-2003 | 07:52 PM
WOW

APT you really know you stuff.This is why I love these message boards

Old 02-07-2003 | 11:42 AM
Thanks for the comments . . . I kinda figured that was the case but like you said, if they (Gibson/Magnaflow/etc.) did their R&D, why don't they have this readily accessible to anyone interested in their products? I just the next step is to call each one up and see if they can help with answers. All I liked to see is some justification (dyno results) for their pricing over alternate systems or a local fabricated custom exhaust.

Old 02-18-2003 | 04:43 PM
Spidy,
You can call the Tech support at Magnaflow and obtain a copy of the dyno sheets for your truck. I did it and a buddy of mine got a copy as well.

Magnaflow Tech Support 1-800-990-0905 and ask for Elis or Jim

Joe

Quick Reply: Difference in Mufflers ?