dual tailpipes and no mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2000 | 08:11 AM
|
Post dual tailpipes and no mufflers?

Is anyone running factory cats, dual tailpipes and no mufflers? How does it sound? I ran across a new Chevy this weekend with this setup, and it sounded excellent. Kinda like my Mustang with an off-road pipe, and some mild mufflers. Not real loud, and not trashy sounding either.

------------------
'97 F-150 EC 4x4, 4.6L

Old 04-18-2000 | 08:55 AM
Smile

topsy- I ran with no muffler and dual pipes out the back with 3" slash tips for about 1 year. The set up was using all factory pipes up to the muffler. Then I cut out the muffler and installed a pipe. The y pipe was close to the rear axle, then duals out the back. This set up sounded awsome to me in the truck. I also got 18 mpg mixed driving. The truck ran well but I lost some low end torque. The noise was tolerable up to 65 mph. Above that it became to much for long trips. Later I had installed 4.10 gears and the rpm difference caused more noise at lower speed say 57 mph. However with this set up the truck would spin the tires on accelleration even after moving up to 15 mph. Push the pedal and turn the tires on demand. Lots of fun...It also ran the best from 0 to 90mph this way. Finally the noise level got the best of me and I installed a 50 series 3 chamber flow master. The truck felt as if it slowed down alot. The tires no longer spun on demand. Kept it this way for 2 months then installed a Velocity tube and tires spin on demand again without the loud noise. Fun all over again. The truck runs better 0 to 90 mph but not as well as with no muffler.It gets 16 mpg average now. Will leave it alone for now but plan on using the perfect muffler system formula I posted to build a better system. Would like the power and mpg of the no muffler system without the high noise level.

------------------
Capt. America..,
1998 F-150 XLTSC...2WD.. . 4.10LS rear...auto E40D... 5.4L...Flairside... Ground effects... Billet Pedals... Billet Grill... Billet Brake lite... Oval Mirror... Bed rails... Bug Deflector... Wood Grain Kit...Fog lites... TPS...Velocity tube... K&N... ss Ford tag.,.Tinted Windows... overhead/floor consoles... Mood lights...Blue bulbs... Alarm...Radar...Dashmat... Fire/Ice rear window tint ...conspicuity reflectors... cd changer...mobil 1... Painted rear Drums... Helwing Sway Bar... Dual Exhaust... Halogen Back-up bulbs... clear corner lens...
Tail lens covers... Leather...Floor Mats... Seat covers...Tow Pkge...
Side window Louvers... Painted Brake calipers... Custom Captian America Paint Job...TRIPLE LED brake lights...Rain guards... Painted throttle body cover...sliding rear window...Superchip...Custom Gas cap holder...2" leveling shackels...Fox tail key chain...Clear turn signal bulbs..

Quick Reply: dual tailpipes and no mufflers?