Vortech Supercharger and Stock Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2000 | 02:31 PM
|
Question Vortech Supercharger and Stock Exhaust?

Yup, I ordered a 2000 F150 XLT with the 5.4 Liter V8 engine and have decided to supercharge it after about 5 thousand miles. I want the engine broken in a bit before i charge it. Anyway on to my question. Seeing as the blower system is going to cost about 3 thousand dollars, I was wondering if I could use it with the stock exhaust system. (I chose the Vortech centrifugal S-Trim supercharger) In other words, will the blower cause any damage to my engine or other parts if i run it with the stock exhaust? Reason for me not replacing the exhaust first is that I found the blower real cheap and cut a deal with the guy that sells them. So all the truck funds are going into the charger until I save some cash for a cat-back exhaust. I didn't ask him this question because I figured he would try and make the sale and use of it on my new truck sound good to me so I would buy. I want some good honest answers so I turn to you. Thanks again!

Old 05-07-2000 | 02:44 PM
I supercharged my '99 Expidition with the Kenne Bell supercharger after installing JBA headers and a dual in-out flowmaster muffler. Left the stock cats ontact. The stock Ford exhaust system is tuned so well that there are fue benefits from aftermarket exhaust systems. You do get improved performance at high RPM (and a sound definately not stock) but, performance for day to day and normal driving actually suffers. These findings have been confirmed by use of the Kenne Bell dyno.

Quick Reply: Vortech Supercharger and Stock Exhaust?