Deep Exhaust Burble Sound ??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2000 | 05:42 PM
|
Question Deep Exhaust Burble Sound ??

Can someone recommmend and exhaust or tips that will give my F-150 a deeper exhaust note. I don't won't something real loud like them lowriders, but I would like something to just give it a deeper burble sound.

Old 05-21-2000 | 08:15 PM
Exclamation

Then the Flowmaster 50 series is for you..

------------------
2000 White F-150 Sport 4.2L 5-speed,3.55 gears
MODS: K&N, Flowmaster 50 series.
www.fordvschevy.com Ford vs Chevy
Moderator: Road Kill, Mustang vs F-bodies. We also have a
Ford VS GM/Chevy Truck forum

superstang97@yahoo.com
AIM: fakefvc

Old 05-21-2000 | 08:36 PM
Smile

I've just done some in depth research for an exhaust system for my 2000 F-150 5.4 and found several throaty exhaust mufflers and systems. Many who want sound have recommended the Flowmaster 40 series. I almost bought one until I found Dynomax. I learned that the Flowmaster only flowed approx. 400 cfm., and the factory muffler flowed <200cfm. Dynomax makes several systems: the "Super Turbo" system flows about 400 cfm and is not as loud as the Flowmaster 40's. I bought and installed the "Ultra-flow welded system", it is several decibels quieter than the Flowmaster 40's and flows an unequalled 2200 cfms. It is loud and throaty just the way I wanted it. It sounds like a Z-28 on steroids. I am very pleased with the sound and performance increase. 2 good websites are dynomax.com and a-1performance.com . They are the largest manufacturer of exhaust parts in the world.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification,Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back.

Old 05-21-2000 | 09:40 PM
Cool

...and here's one more vote for the Flowmaster 50 Series. Mine is a 2.5" inlet, 3" outlet exiting behind the wheel through a 3.5" tip. Nice low sound, not annoying but has 'presence'. Get the Delta Technology 50-Series for reduced in-cab noise levels.

Max - you're right about the sound of the Dynomax mufflers. Your posting taked quite a bit about the high flow rate of the Dynomax's. One thing these trucks are sensitive to is reduced back-pressure. When the back-pressure is reduced you gain performance on the high end of the RPM range but at the cost of low end torque. That's not a good thing if you tow a load or are a stop-light bandit....

Tom in Tacoma

------------------
1998 F150 XLT S/C 4.6L Auto, 3.55LS, 4X2, Moonlight Blue, all the factory bells & whistles except for leather seats.
  • Lund Deflector
  • Lund Premier Tonneau Cover
  • K&N Filter
  • Body-color painted Throttle Cover
  • Blue wire-looms
  • Pentaliner S/R
  • Window tint
  • Ford side-steps
  • Infiniti component speakers - front
  • Polk Audio speakers - back
  • Superchip (OH YEAH!!)
  • Flowmaster 50 Series 'Delta-Flow' w/ 3" pipe
  • Clear turn signal lenses
  • Next up - billet grill.

Tom in Tacoma

(Washington not Toyota)
Go check out http://communities.msn.com/SS97FordsPics for the second best website for F150's

Old 05-21-2000 | 10:38 PM
Angry

Yes, the Delta flow mufflers are excellent, and Flowmasters do have a great sound and reputation. I have read many memos on backpressure. All the cat-back systems I have seen still connect to the forward factory 2.5" system behind the Y. Your most forward restriction is always what you are limited by from there back. Dynomax's opinion was that the 4)pre and reg converters and the 2.5" forward pipe after the Y leading to the cat-back system were restrictive and created the most forward backpressure. I am not an expert, I rely on the industry and their dynos. I also think a great inprovement is just leaving the factory 2.5" exhaust front to back and just replace the muffler with the flow and sound of choice. I have lost no low end torque towing or light to light accelerating, and have a dramatic improvement in all rpm ranges.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification,Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back.

Old 05-22-2000 | 01:08 AM
I have had a Flowmaster 40 series 3 inch and a 3 inch Dynamax Race Magnum (an aluminized Ultra Flow muffler) and lost a lot of low end with the Flowmaster and none with the Dynamax. The Dynamax definately performs better.

------------------
2000 F150 SuperCab, Short Bed, 4X4, ORP, 5.4L, Auto Trans, 3.55LS, Captains Chairs with power drivers seat, rear slider, class III towing package, remote entry with alarm and just about everything you can get on this truck. Added a Ford bug deflecter, floor mats, a Dynamax Race magnum muffler and 3" mandrel bent pipes, Superchip, K&N FIPK Gen II, Bilstein shocks and Redline Synthetic oil.

Old 05-22-2000 | 02:08 PM
Cool

Max, your explanation makes a lot of sense. I thought the flowrate you were talking about in your earlier post was for the exhaust system as a whole - not just the muffler. I understand now.

Ron, thanks for sharing that - it's not often someone with experience with more than one system steps forward. How would you compare the two types at the higher rpm range?

Tom in Tacoma

[This message has been edited by TColegrove (edited 05-22-2000).]

Old 05-22-2000 | 08:26 PM
TColgrove - Mid and high end are very good with the Dynamax Race Magnum. Truck will cruise at 90 or 100 without breathing hard at all. I have a K&N Gen II Fipk and mandrel bent 3 inch tubes and the 3 inch in and out Race Magnum. It seems amazing that Dynamax can make their mufflers flow so well and not lose the low end as with the Flowmasters. I believe the Flowmasters are very overrated (advertising pays off though). After doing my truck, the guy who did my installation, took the Flowmaster off his truck and put on a Race Magnum. I tried 3 combinations of exhaust systems on my truck till I found the one that worked best.

------------------
2000 F150 SuperCab, Short Bed, 4X4, ORP, 5.4L, Auto Trans, 3.55LS, Captains Chairs with power drivers seat, rear slider, class III towing package, remote entry with alarm and just about everything you can get on this truck. Added a Ford bug deflecter, floor mats, a Dynamax Race magnum muffler and 3" mandrel bent pipes, Superchip, K&N FIPK Gen II, Bilstein shocks and Redline Synthetic oil.

Old 05-23-2000 | 12:49 AM
Ron,
what is the sound like with the dyno max, I was going to get one on my other truck and thought that the noise was a lot lower.

------------------
  • -1999 Ford F-150 Flareside ORP
  • -Deep Wedgewood Blue
  • -4.6 Liter automatic Tranny 3.55 LS rear
  • -Painted to match Lund Moon Visor
  • -Lund Interceptor Bug Guard (painted)
  • -Manik Grille Guard
  • -Soft Bed Cover
  • -Deflecta-Shield Rain Guards (painted)
  • -Delecta-Shield Slotted Tail Light Covers (painted)
  • -Yellow Under Car Strip Lights
  • -Tinted Windows (5% totally illegal)
  • -Pioneer 7200 CD flip face head unit
  • -Superwhite Bulbs (from Online Store)
  • -K&N Air Filter
  • -Air Box Silencer Removed
  • -In loving Memory Of Craig W. Menth Sr. Maltese Cross Fire Department Sticker
steveo@f150fanatic.com

Old 05-23-2000 | 01:05 PM
I have flowmaster racing series and it has a low tone I have 2.5" back into 5" tips that come out the back (tips came off a L8000 ford)
it is low but not to loud

go with flowmaster od dinomax I think that you will be happy with it

Allan

------------------
1999 F150 Bright Red Extended Cab 4x4 Off Road, With Gray Interior, 5.4L, 3.73 Gears,

Add On's for now!
Access Tunnel Cover
Stainless Steel Nerf Bars
Stainless Steel Rocker Pannels
Putco Bed Rails
Clear Turn Signals
Flowmaster Exhaust
Lund Bug Guard
Painted Vent Shades
Painted Taillight Covers
Painted X-Cab Covers
Superchip
K&N Air Filter W/ Air Box Mod
Airaid FIPK (it is here and putting it in tonight)
Red Stering Wheel Cover
Pionneer CD Deck

Wish List: F1 Ram Air Hood, Tinted Side Windows, Wiper Crawl, Viser, Supercharger, ETC...

[This message has been edited by MN99F150-1 (edited 05-23-2000).]

Old 05-23-2000 | 04:28 PM
Cool

JARDINE,
I would buy it again in a second!
Great sound.
Increase in HP & Torque.
No drone.
Great deep burble at idle, deep growl at wot.
Call John Brooks at the # below.
He will ship it $200. Delivered!
Good Luck,
AHAB

------------------
2000 f150 5.4 4X4
Auto transmission
Supercab
Lariat 139" wb Flareside
Manual 4x4 shift on the floor.
3.55 Limited slip Axle
Class 3 tow group
4x4 Off Road group
17" pizza cutter wheels (arrrh, too narrow )
5 COATS ZANIO POLISH [URL=http://WWW.ZANIOBROS.COM
WWW.ZANIOBROS.COM
AWESOME PRODUCTS!)
Mods:
4-14-00 installed superchip
Thanks Mike T. for all your help!)
Ordered Jardine Exhaust: $200.00 delivered!!
From John Brooks @ Jardine Cat back

installed 5-12-00
1-800 347-8664 ext. 224 (Thanks John)!!
Airaid installed 5-12-00

Done for power mods, now saving for supercharger.

Old 05-23-2000 | 09:25 PM
Steveo - The 3 inch Dynamax Race Magnum with 3 inch pipe has a good healthy sound. A deep low sound. The 2 and 1/2 I tried first was a little quieter. Both performed better that any Flowmaster I had on the truck.

------------------

Old 05-28-2000 | 10:22 PM
i have a delta flow 50 series with the 3" inlet and 2 @ 2 1/2 inch outlets with 2 borla duel intercooled tips exiting the side. nice low sound. a little louder than expected, but when coasting, it seems like the engine quit--- it's that quiet.

------------------
97 f150 xlt named: "locked & lowered",sc,4.6,auto,tow,3.55ls,superchip,k&n,west ern nerf,mpc deflector,helwig,k&n-w/home made filter bracket,belltech 2"/4" drop,flowmaster delta-flow 50, borla quad tips,tekstyle tonneu cover,rhino lining,s&w.

Old 05-29-2000 | 09:45 AM
Thumbs up

two votes for JARDINE ...my truck rips now ,i can't believe how fast and easily i can break the speed limit now.... heh heh heh

------------------
-97 F150 FLARESIDE XLT REG.CAB.4X2 PACIFIC GREEN/GREY INTERIOR
-4.6L AUTO TRANNY 3.55 LS REAR
-MODS-
-ROUSH RACING PERFORMANCE SUSPENSION LOWERED 3 FRONT 3.5 REAR WITH BILSTIEN SHOCKS
-GOODYEAR EAGLE LS TIRES
-4X4 GRILL/BUMPER AND LIGHTS
-PAINT MATCHED SNUG LID BED COVER GREY CARPETED BED KIT
-VENTSHADES
-PAINT MATCHED SLOTTED TAILIGHT ACCENTS CLEAR FRONT CORNERS
-BLUE HALOGEN HEADLIGHTS/BUMPER LIGHTS TOO
-K&N FILTER-CHROMED WMS AIR TUBE-CUSTOM RAM AIR FROM BUMPER OPENING
-SUPERCHIP(THANX MIKE!!) POWERAID(WHISTLE BOX) ACCELL SUPER STOCK PLUG WIRES BOSCH PLATINUM PLUS 4'S
-VALVOLINE FULL SYNTHETIC 10W30
-JARDINE FULL EXHAUST(EXCEPT HEADERS)
-SPEED GLO DASH& CARBON FIBER GAUGE ACCENT HUSKY LINER FLOOR MATS
-STEREO:
-ECLIPSE HEAD UNIT/SONY ADJUSTIBLE CROSSOVER MOUNTED IN DRIVER DOOR MAP POCKET/BOSTON 6.5 SEPERATES/RUN BY PIONEER AMP/2-12"ORION DVC SUBS POWERED BY ORION HCCA AMP/CUSTOM SUB BOX/1 FARAD CAP/WAY TOO MANY CD'S!!!!
CLIFFORD ALARM&REMOTE START.
"#6 STICKER" GO MARTIN!!

Old 05-30-2000 | 09:56 PM
I went with the Gibson Sport truck exhaust. It exits right in front of the rear wheel and has a great throat but not to much at normal speeds.

Good luck

Quick Reply: Deep Exhaust Burble Sound ??