Do I need to reset the computer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need to reset the computer?

I had dual exhaust installed on my 5.4 L 2003 F-150. (True duals flowmaster 40's) I called the dealer about resetting the computer and he said it isn't necessary. Is this true? If I do reset it, will it have any other impact on the truck?
Thanks

Old 01-25-2003, 05:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
?I usually do on every mod. This includes the exhst.

might as well start with a clean slate on the new xhst.

I think the new system might be learned over time, but why crap up the new mod with the old data from the adaptive learning process.

I could just be too **** about this, but it cannot hurt to do a reset on every mod.

As for other impacts, I have written down the locations of the radio stations ( haven't need the list yet ) and a clock to reset the time. And the directions to reprogram the homelink visor if you have one ( just in case, I cannot recall if this is needed or not ). I think that is all I have for when I do a reset on the PCM.

Hope this helps, I am sure another will be around to tell me I am full of BS or concure

Old 01-25-2003, 09:00 PM
I reset mine, too. It's probably a good idea...the computer may adapt to the modified exhaust quicker when it scans the system.

Old 01-26-2003, 05:54 AM
How do you reset the computer is like the old days you just unhook the neg on the battery?

Old 01-26-2003, 12:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You got it.

Take off the neg side.

Turn on headlights ( to drain all of voltage out of the electrical compnents like capacitors and the likes ).

Wait 5 to 15 min. I have seen time values all over the range. Myself I disconnect the battery before I start working on the mod.

After you turn off the headlights, and connect the neg, the start the truck and let it idle. You will hear the engine rpm jump around a bit. I think this is a 15 min idle stage.
After the idle part, I take it out for a drive and drive it like I mean it. I run WOT into 3rd gear on the first few. Get a little on highway driving done at ~ 70 mph, then off onto a side street for some 35 to 45 mph driving, with stops in there.

I have found a route that provides all the on and off highway driving, so once you find a route that allows on highway off, highway driving, with stop sin there, that is your mod route to use.

Some take this to be "old school" similar to running a car to blow it out ( from the old carb days ala 70's cars ) but I have had good luck with it so far, maybe I don't know any better though. I got this from the Chip forum, about installing a chip.

Ask / look around and see what others do when resetting a PCM, you might get a similar answer, you might get something completly different ( aka I'm full of it ).

Old 01-26-2003, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the help. I think I'll go reset it today.

Quick Reply: Do I need to reset the computer?