HELP, Rusting Tips!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003 | 11:27 AM
|
HELP, Rusting Tips!!!

I just got an exhaust system put on my truck. The problem I am having is that the inside the tips are rusting. I know that the water is coming from the engine (ie- when the engine is working right, it's supposed to produce water). I just want to know how I can prevent or at least stop the rusting. When I got home from the muffler shop, I waxed the outside and inside the tips as far as I could reach in. But on the inside where I couldn't reach, it is rusting, and bad. There are usually 2 rust/water spots on the ground under each of my tips.

What are some of the things I can do to prevent the rust. Has anyone tried painting the inside of the tips or other things.

Thanks

Old 01-29-2003 | 11:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

You didn't say if the tips are SS or just the aluminized pipe, so I am going to take a guess that they are AL ( SS woudl just be a rust 'pool' of sort sitting in the pipe ?? ).

On my dads truck quite some time ago, he cleaned them out with a wire brush that looked like a bottle brush, then proceeded to prime and paint the inside and out side if the tips with black high temp xhst paint. You could choose silver or what ever strikes you taste with the color.

This is one way to take care of making sure the rust will not go through the end.

One question is, does this seem to be a low point in tail of the system, where water would collect ? The example above did not have a problem with a low spot, it had a constant down hill slant to it.

Maybe checking to see if the system has a low spot where the rust is, if so, you you might want to have the shop correct this, as it might always be a problem.

Just a few thoughts...see what else posts up by other members...

Good luck.

Old 01-31-2003 | 04:33 PM
When having my SS tips installed, the welder torched the tips before he installed them. From what he said, the high temp. heat treats the metal and raises the resistance to rust. Sometimes, I have a little rust build up, but it disappears when I take a freeway trip and heat up the system.

Quick Reply: HELP, Rusting Tips!!!