4.2 Engine with a Lightning Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4.2 Engine with a Lightning Exhaust?

i want to add the Lightning exhaust on to my 4.2L regular cab F150 can this be done? im ready to buy it off a seller but i need to know if his exhaust can be used on my car?

Old 01-30-2003, 12:29 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No without a few modifcations, for the physical work part.

You would need to have the factory Y pipe removed, to install a L or HD xhst on a reg F-150.

The other part is do you have a standard cab, short bed, if not the dual dumps in front of the wheel, might exit at a different point, unless you add some pipe to the system.

As for what this would do performance wise, got me on that one....don't have a 4.2 so I cannot even give you a guess.

Just so so know I am upto about 300.00 in 16 gauge 304, SS parts for installing a Bassani kit for an L on a 5.4 SCrew.
This does not cover the 650.00 for the Bassani, and I'm not even to a shop yet to have the factory Y cut out and the system installed.

I don't know how much the L system is costing you, but you might be better off with a Magnaflow system for the 4.2 with a dual SS tip, forward dump.

Just a thought cost wise, unless you are after true duals.

Old 01-30-2003, 07:13 AM
your info is priceless my friend. well this man was selling me his lightning exhaust 2001 for 130$ and i do have a flareside regular cab 4.2 F150. i just wanted to know if it could be done, i guess not. SS can you give me a little more info on that Magnaflow system? as to who makes it and some prices?

Old 01-30-2003, 09:08 AM

SVTErick,

Sorry if I lead you to believe that it cannot be done, it can, but at a cost

MagnaFlow is the brand name of the system and the only reason I brought that up is they have a cat back that is a Sinlge In Dual Out muffler, with the tips similar to the L, if you were going for the look.

You can get it in stainless Steel I do believe ( not 100% sure myself ). http://www.magnaflow.com/03cat-ford.htm would list the cat backs for the systems.

As for Cost, you can try Mike Troyer at Performance Products, or I think others have used bigexhaust.com. I would say to use Mike as he supports the site, and is price compettive. When Mike carries something I want I get it from him.

I currently have a Gibson Super Truck, which the tips dump in the same place, but they are square tips. This is soming off as soon as I get the remainder of the parts for the true dual Bassani system and get a decient shop to put it on, and do the bend work for the factory Y removal. This is an alumiumnized system, not stainless steel. Don't know if you have a preference for either on this. In AL it is about 300.00 for the gibson.

Bassani makes a cat back with the same tips as the L also for your truck, but these are stainless steel, and the cost is up there for the system in general. You can check off of BAssani's web site for the p/n and then check with ChichkenEars Perf & Eng in the suporting vendor list to see if he can get this for you, if you cannot find a Bassani dealer local. I think PSP also carries them, as maybe a few others..I am unsure on the others I got my kit from Chicaken ears.

These are just some shots going with what the exit of the system looked like, if that was the main point. Sound wise the Gibson and Magnaflow both are very similar.

If you do a search on magnaflow you can find ~ 3350 posts to look over to see what others think of it. Gibson ST there are a few threads on this as well.

Supporting Vendor contact info :
https://www.f150online.com/vendors.cfm

Hope this helps with the questions, let me know if you need any other info, or hopefully another member will post in here to give you another view on it.

Old 01-30-2003, 07:15 PM
thanks a ton dude! what do you think ill have to replace and the cost of these replacements if i purchase the L exhaust?

Old 01-30-2003, 08:11 PM

SVTErick,

Beyond the cost of the L exhst system, you could just use a local shop that does the Stainless steel pipe work, and have them bend the stuff needed for removing the factory Y pipe.
The Y pipe is cut, the drivers side is turned so it is runnign the same direction as the pass side, and the pass side is extended to the stock L system. I guess you cannot go too wrong with a system for $130.00, plus the pipe and labor from the local shop.

I would guess from a shop maybe 200.00 or so, depending on the quality of SS pipe they use and the labor charges.
Big swag on my part. if you check locally, this would tell you more on the cost per foot of SS pipe, and labor rates.

Before you do this, check with someone that knows the more then just the 5.4 like myself.
I'd rather you got the straight scoop from a more informed source then me. I am not a 4.2 expert by any means, and I don't want you to find out that the L system causes x or y to happen to engine performance.

The stuff I bought is expensive stuff, but I wanted the SS to match the X pipe and remainder of the system.

That is another thing to think of, when doing a Dual system, is do you add an X pipe to the L system ?? Got me, I don;t know enough about the L stock system to say either way.

Old 01-30-2003, 08:21 PM
good thing dude ill check with my local shop to see what the recommend thanks!

Quick Reply: 4.2 Engine with a Lightning Exhaust?