What do stock mufflers look like?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2000, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What do stock mufflers look like?

I recently bought a used 98 F-150, and was looking at the exhaust last night. I have no clue if it is factory, but the mufflers are somewhat small tubes, they don't look anything like the flowmasters. I think that they may be glasspacks, but I'm not sure. Is there any place to see what the stock setup looks like on a 98 4x4 flair side? Here is a pic of my truck It has dual pipes out the rear.

Old 09-19-2000, 09:35 PM
Wink

How does the stock muffler looks? Like a 55 galons drum clamped under the truck.

------------------
1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications: K&N FIPK, Stepshield door sill protectors, Performance Accesories 3" body lift and Lift Lips.

See photos at <A HREF="http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

" TARGET=_blank>www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

</A>

Old 09-20-2000, 12:22 AM
Smile

What's up BH...I'd say you have glasspacks. Does it sound like it? Are their 2 of them, or just one? When you get a chance...describe what it looks like, from the manifolds back. On a stock 98, you should have a 2 1/2" pipe coming from both sides of the motor (manifolds) into the pre-cats, then to the cats. (Cats are oval, and look like small mufflers with heat shields on them.) The driver's side pipe that comes out of the cat should cross over to the passenger side and the 2 pipes meet. At this point, you should have a single 2 1/2" pipe that has a bolt-on setup to accept the rest of the exhaust system. (Under the passenger side floor boards.) From this "bolt-on" adapter type deal you should see about 3 - 4 feet of 2 1/2" pipe that goes into LARGE 3 - 4 foot long 12" diameter "bomb" looking deal. This is your stock muffler. You can't miss it because it's so big. You may want to crawl under a new truck at a local dealership too. Just curious though, how did they go about getting the 2 pipes out the back, from the single pipe? If it has 2 glasspacks, it sounds like they went with true duals. Did you ever get your body work taken care of?

-AR

------------------
- 2001 F-150 XLT 4X4 Off-Road, S/C, FS, Black
- 4.6L Triton V8 (20 H.P. Increase)
- 5 Speed / 3:55 Reg. Axle
- Keyless
- Premium Audio CD
- Mods.
- K&N Cold Air mod.
- Flowmaster 40 (Stock Setup with 3 1/2" Gibson Tip)
- Bugshield
- Bedliner
- Ventshades

Old 09-20-2000, 12:23 AM
I'll email you a (crappy) pic of what the stock setup should look like using good ol' Paintbrush.

-AR

Old 09-20-2000, 02:04 PM
Smile

Sounds good man...since we have almost identical trucks. You'll even get to hear my FM 40 setup. It's not loud enough, even though it's not a DeltaFlow. I think it's because I didn't go with duals, but I like it none-the-less. I'd go with the FM 40 too. Get rid of those glasspacks.

-AR

Old 09-21-2000, 12:15 AM
Hey Jackyl,

It is exactly as you described, then there are two what I believe to be glasspacks, one in front of the other. The way they did the dual out the rear, was create a 'Y'in the tail exhaust, after the second muffler, and brought them out the back. I like the sound of the truck, but am thinking of a flowmaster setup if it'll give me more power. Jackyl, Yep, got my truck back last week. It is looking good. A lot better than before the accident! Stop by and see me at the next show, We'll have to go and compare our trucks.

Later,
BH

Quick Reply: What do stock mufflers look like?