Need help from All exhaust People

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003 | 07:41 PM
|
Question Need help from All exhaust People

I have 2002 with a 5.4, ext cab long bed.

I am going to be getting my tax return soon and I want to put a new exhaust system on my truck.

I know that people have dicussed various systems before, but I just wanted to post what I am looking for and see what people think would be best.

I want it to sound good of couse, but I don't want my passenger do shoot me.

I am kind of shooting for SI/DO. I would like rear exit but I would also use side exit.

I would like to gain some performance, but obviously with the size of my truck going fast is not first.

What CAT back system should I get?

Should I add any other things to the system like a y-pipe or other?

Where is a good place to get these things online or do one of the members sell these things?

Thanks in advanced

Old 02-04-2003 | 07:51 AM
APT
Do you want a system or kit or do you want to make a custom setup? Stainless or aluminized? how much do you want to spend? It will be cheaper to go custom with a SIDO muffler, tail pipe, and tips. I highly recommend the Magnaflow pre-bent tail pipes. They are rather cheap compared to what some exhaust shop charge to custom bend the pipes. They have mandrel bends which most people think are superior, and are a perfect fit while keeping the spare. Some systems such as the Gibson dual kit requires taking the spare down.

www.bigexhaust.com is has great prices and a variety of brands. Mike T. the Superchips distributer on this forum also sells a few brands at good prices and will work with you to figure out what is best for you. I have a feeling he will say if you want performance, stick to a 3" single system over a dual. The people that choose dual exits put looks over performance.

Old 02-04-2003 | 10:05 AM
well like just about everyone in here reccomends i Magnaflow catback. Nice deep subtle sound for a decent cost. My Full-boar catback is very throaty and growls really nice but has a little too much cab drone. Ill fix that this summmer with straight pipes

Old 02-04-2003 | 10:05 AM
|
Well I would like to use Stainless.

I would rather have a system, but I guess it depends what would be the end setup.

I kind of am going for looks and some performance, so I would like to have a dual out.

I am willing to spend some money on this I just want to end up with the best solution. If I would take it to someone in town here I would do that, but I do't want to get screwed. I got one quote from a friends's dad that has a custom shop and it was like 700+ for a cat back.

If anyone is in ohio that does that work that is on this board let me know.

I will get in touch with Mike T. about this.

Old 02-04-2003 | 11:39 AM
Thumbs up

Try Flowmaster!! Recently purchased dual outlet side catback
system for my Screw. Force 2 system has a lower tone interior wise but plenty of noise under accelleration. Got inf o from Flowmaster web. Install not bad either, great fit and sound.

www.flowmastermufflers.com

Last edited by phines; 02-04-2003 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-04-2003 | 11:45 AM
rbjones---theres a guy on here from Ohio that im buddies with (on here i dont know him personally) but he works at an exhaust shop in ohio. His name is 'F-150-91' but me might have changed it to RangerMike or somethin cause he just recently got a Ranger.

In my opinion I would never spend 700 bucks on a stainless system. You can get a great system for around 350 or so (hell mine was 215 installed and I LOVE it!) I would go with magnaflow if i were you with stainless tips. Cause if you fork out alot for exhaust, one day, you may want to change it. Never know.

Stay in touch wiht this thread and ill hook you up with the guy i know that works in Ohio.

Old 02-04-2003 | 11:54 AM
APT
The only muffler-back full stainless system I can think of is Borla. I generally like the Borla sound, but never heard one on an F-150. I can say I dont like how the tips look on trucks.

You may also consider the Lightning or Harley Davidson true dual setups. They run about $650-675 shipped, but exit before the rear axle, not split rear like I think you want.

Otherwise, you are left with either aluminized split rear systems, or you have to make it custom. For a custom effort, a 3" SI/dual 2.5" out stainless muffer costs about $125 or less. Two 7' 2.5" stainless pipes should be about $150-200, plus custom bending. Then add your favorite tips at $50-100/pair. Hangers and labor should run about $100-150 from a decent shop.

If you want to save a little money, the aluminized pipes I recommended earlier would cut at least $100 off the total in materials and labor.

Old 02-04-2003 | 12:31 PM
|
I thought that Magnaflow made a good cat back Stainless system?

I think the one that I mentioned earlier that was 700+ plus was Borla, but I was on their page and I didn't see a system for my truck.

Would it be better to add other things like a y-pipe or other such things?

am I correct in thinking that the major benifit to stainless is just it would last longer?

I could also Side exit I just figured that a dual side exit might look odd on a bigger truck.

Green_98, let me know if you get in contact with a guy. I am up in NE Ohio, but I can make a trip if we can do it in a day which I assume is possible.

Old 02-04-2003 | 12:53 PM
ron--dual side exits look good on any truck. I will be in touch with him soon ive got him on messenger and ill get him to post in this thread.
A stainless system will last longer but i dont see the point. Keep your tips waxed with chrome polish all the time and your tips will shine for a long time. My chrome tips have seen 3 winters here in mid-missouri and no rust yet. Plus if you want to change/replace the exhaust in the future you wont feel bad about cutting the stainless off. plus it'll cost less.
Just my .02

Old 02-04-2003 | 03:02 PM
APT
You are correct - stainless will just last longer. I highly recommend it for the muffler which holds more heat and the tips for looks, but the pipes I don't think are necessary. Obviously, IMHO.

The Borla I linked is $580 plus shipping at Exhaustprosinc.com.

Magnaflow makes an excellent cat-back system, but it is a single 3" muffler-back repalcement. Search the forums for Magnaflow 15609 and I'm sure you will get links to pictures. It is one of the best systems for performance, sound, and looks with the 4" tip is you want single. Magnaflow does not offer a kit or system for any kind of dual setup, just universal parts to help you build a custom setup.

With all my research I have collected on these boards and at Ford Truck World, this is what I think would provide the best performance for a mostly stock 5.4L F-150. Magnaflow 15609 system and replace the factory y-pipe with mandrel 90deg bend and a 2.5" dual in/3" single out y-pipe than a 3" pipe to the 15609 system.

There are sound clips of the Magnaflow 15609 system which most people describe as mellow at idle and mild throttle angles, and moderate at aggressive throttle angles. It is not a very loud system compared to what many people put on.

Hopefully you can get in touch with a local guy to help you out. I still recommend calling Mike T. in the superchips forum. He has a lot of experience installing different systems and actualy testing them on dynos.

Old 02-04-2003 | 03:27 PM
|
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info.

Well the Borla system is out. I looked and they don't have anything for a longbed or longbox. That is what I why I thought that they didn't make anything. I had looked into them before.

I am going to get in touch with Mike T, but he is out untill the 10th. I saw on another post he is doing testing for the 2003 L.

Last edited by rbjones21; 02-04-2003 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-04-2003 | 11:43 PM
check GIBSON exaust I have the super truck exhaust and I love the sound and just today they hook me with a free exhaust for my 2003 expedition some of my friend put flowmaster that they hed to change because they were too loud

Old 02-05-2003 | 12:57 PM
|
I looked at the gibson setup and it doesn't seem to bad.

Has anyone else had experience with them?

Anyone have sound clips?

Old 02-05-2003 | 01:49 PM
IMO Gibson is a bit overrated. It may give a slight torque gain but its not that much louder then a stock exhaust. For about the same price maybe a little more you could get a Magnaflow, which sound great!

Im still waiting for the guy from Ohio to sign on ill come back here when he does

Old 02-05-2003 | 05:09 PM
APT
And the Gibson tail pipes for the split rear say you have to remove the spare tire. I don't know if people had have shops correct it, but do it yourselfers complain about having to remove that.

Also, see the post about the Gibson baffle possibly breaking. I had a baffle type muffler before and I didn't think it was worth anything but sound.

Quick Reply: Need help from All exhaust People