My Ravin Z33 is an awesome system

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2000 | 05:45 PM
|
Thumbs up My Ravin Z33 is an awesome system

Had the system installed this afternoon and the sound is awesome, a DEEEEEP tone, no pops, just power. It has already stepped up the performance of the truck. I went straight out the back with Ravin tips (stainless chrome and about 24" long). Fit perfectly and the guys at Midas were very impressed when we started that puppy up. There is a very small amount of resonance inside the cab when on the throttle but now when cruising. Really glad I got this system. Very nice, thick pipes, the muffler is very heavy and well built. Thanks to gogo for putting me on to it.

Just got my K & N filter injection kit delivered by UPS and hope to have it on by tomorrow to open up both ends.

hut

------------------
2001 XLT, Flareside,SuperCab, 4x4, loaded, off road package, 4.6 with standard transmissom, Ravin Z33 exhaust system (one into two, out the back) island blue,Going to install Superchip (Once the program is written), K & N Filter Charger Kit, has factory bars (tubular), adding Mantis Brush Guards (front and rear), Lund Interceptor Bug Shield, inside mount vent visors (Weather Tech, an easy installation), Arma Coat bed (black). Have clear corner lenses. Daylight running lights (from Ford).

Old 10-05-2000 | 06:06 PM
Question

Awesome!!! Glad you like it. I'm a little jealous of you guys...I LOVE the feeling of getting a new exhaust put on, and I wish I could do it once a month. I had a FM 40 put on, and I wish it were a little louder in the cab. Sounds nice outside though. I still stand by Flowmaster, even though their numbers aren't as good. (According to Ravin.) I don't think that amount of flow is that important to these new engines though, but I could be wrong. I wanted loud and agressive, so I went with what I knew. Hopefully I'll get to hear a Ravin soon.

BTW, you spelled transmission wrong in your profile.

-AR

------------------
2001 F-150 XLT 4X4 Off-Road, S/C, FS, Black
- 4.6L Triton V8 (Romeo, 20 HP Increase)
- 5 Speed / 3:55 Reg. Axle
- Keyless
- Premium Audio CD
Mods.
- K&N Cold Airbox / Throttle Body Mod.
- Flowmaster 40 (Stock Setup with 3 1/2" x 10" Gibson Tip)
- Cranked Torsion Bars
- Bugshield
- Bedliner
- Ventshades
Build Date: 8/23/00 (Kansas City Plant)

arobbins@mail.liberty.k12.mo.us

Old 10-05-2000 | 06:10 PM
Exclamation

Hey man, I just noticed we have the same truck, but mine's black. What computer code are you running? Mine is VZR1. When do they plan on having the program ready? Why did you decide to go with the chip? I haven't decided to yet, because I have the 5 speed, and I can't easily get 92 octane gas around here. (Nor do I want to spend the money.) Anyway, thanks.

-AR

Old 10-05-2000 | 08:13 PM
Smile

Hey africanhut,

Just got a Ravin Z-55 put on today, I have to agree with you on the sound. I was really impressed with the quality of the sound, a nice deep tone, No pops or inconsistent sounds. Even though I went with the z-55 instead of the louder z-33, I still am very impressed. Considering I have the V-6, I was very pleased to find the system to enhance the sound of the truck, producing a nice deep tone. After researching all the available options, I am very pleased with the system I decided on. I'd recommend anyone looking for a quality product look into this setup.

--------------------------------------------
1998 F-150 Black & Silverfrost;
extended cab, short bed;
4.2 L V-6;
5 speed, 3.55;
Ravin Z55 performance exhaust system;
Extang snap bedcover;

Old 10-05-2000 | 09:38 PM
Africanhut,
Any particular reason you went with the 33 vs the 55? Was it at the salesman suggestion?
Did you hear both? Printed Dyno numbers?
I'm looking into changing my exhaust too and would appreciate the info.

Old 10-05-2000 | 09:48 PM
africanhut glad to hear you like it. I still enjoy cranking my truck up just to hear her.

Did you hear the Z33 compared to the Z55? The Z55 is similar to the FM DF 40. How much more louder is the Z33 and what model FM does it compete with?

------------------
2001 F150 SuperCrew, 5.4 V8, 4X4, Amazon Green, loaded to the max, K&N Cold Air Induction, Ravin Z55 Performance Exhaust, Line-X.

Old 10-05-2000 | 11:25 PM
africanhut: how much did you pay for your set-up out the door? I am looking for practically the same system, but most likely the 55 instead of the 33, w/ pipes straight out the back... well, now I am wondering how loud the 33 really is. If the 55 sounds like the FM40, then how loud is this 33? choices choices...

-Matt

Old 10-05-2000 | 11:55 PM
|
All these questions LOL I just got done putting a K & N Generation II system on and took it out and whoa, more power and more sound. This sucker hauls serious butt now!!

As for the numbers, the 33 is not only the loudest but produces the most hp and torque of the 3. I looked at comparisons on a chevy 350 and it put out about 8 more hp than the 55 and about 15 more than the 77. It is also the least expensive since it is the smallest.

I have not heard the FM so I cannot compare it. I did hear a 55 on a V8 and there is a noticable difference in the volume and quality of the sound produced. With the Gen II it is really awesomer (if there is such a word which I doubt). Kind of proud of myself for installing the Gen II. No mechanical aptitude here but it started and is running fine so I must have done it right. The instructions leave a lot to be desired. I was just lucky doing a few things.

I paid just over $300 out the door with the extra long tips. I think the 55 is about $20 more (at least around here). Another Midas shop wanted over $550.

As for the code, yep I have the same one. Mike has no time line on when the program will be done but he did tell me they do the Ford trucks first so I am hoping a few weeks. I want the extra hp since I had to get the 4.6 to get a stick.

I hope I answered all the questions. If not, let me know. Oh yeah, the literature I was reading said the 33 is suitable for racing if that helps. With that and the Gen II there is already a tremendous change in power and I am sure it will get even better.

BTW, anyone know a place online where I can get a Ford Truck or F-150 hat?? If so, please send me the url.

hut

I will fix the mis-spelled word. Thanks for pointing it out.

------------------
2001 XLT, Flareside,SuperCab, 4x4, loaded, off road package, 4.6 with standard transmissom, Ravin Z33 exhaust system (one into two, out the back) island blue,Going to install Superchip (Once the program is written), K & N Filter Charger Kit, has factory bars (tubular), adding Mantis Brush Guards (front and rear), Lund Interceptor Bug Shield, inside mount vent visors (Weather Tech, an easy installation), Arma Coat bed (black). Have clear corner lenses. Daylight running lights (from Ford).

Old 10-06-2000 | 04:26 AM
Hey hut,
have you or anyone heard the comparison of the Ravin 33 vs. glasspacks? Im running dual
packs straight out the back right now and am looking into a new exhaust setup. So far im kinda leaning over to the ravin but wanted to hear opinions on the ravin,glsspacks. And whats the difference with the kn filter charger and just the kn filter? I have the filter installed but not the entire filtercharger system. About a ford hat, try the nearest ford dealer with a parts store.They usually carry a good variety.
Thanks- VIC

---------------------------
97F150 4x4 Lariat ext.cab shortbed
Black/silver trim
4.6L V8, KN filter
Billet grille,head/tail light covers
Lighted ford emblem on grille
dual glass packs exhaust

Old 10-06-2000 | 09:35 AM
theclear55, the Z55 is like the Flowmaster DELTA FLOW 40. But without the gurggle, and also has a deeper tone too it.

------------------
2001 F150 SuperCrew, 5.4 V8, 4X4, Amazon Green, loaded to the max, K&N Cold Air Induction, Ravin Z55 Performance Exhaust, Line-X.

Old 10-06-2000 | 01:17 PM
|
Question

to 150agogo,

do you have the K & N Gen II kit on your truck or another model?? The reason I ask is that I now have the engine service light on and K & N says they have never tested it on a 2000 or 2001. I don't know if I damaged a sensor during the install of if the computer (or engine God forbid) cannot handle the air??? Please let me know ASAP since I have to travel tonight and really don't have time to put the stock system back on (plus I put a cut in the housing while trying to get one of the sensors out).

I am going to disconnect the battery again for a few hours and see what happens. It runs fantastic but there is an intermitent problem when idling. It will just seem to be sucking (or trying to suck) more air than it is getting and the rpms flucuate up and down between 600 and a grand. Again, not all the time.

Please let me know which system you used and if you had problems similar to mine. Everything is tight and hooked up right. Am worried about blowing up an engine!!

As for the Ravin and glass packs, I have no experience with them and I don't know if the literature I read on the Ravin systems had a glass pack comparison. You could check their web site and see or give them a call. I think it is www.goRavin.com

hut

------------------
2001 XLT, Flareside,SuperCab, 4x4, loaded, off road package, 4.6 with standard transmission, Ravin Z33 exhaust system (one into two, out the back) island blue,Going to install Superchip (Once the program is written), K & N Filter Charger Kit, has factory bars (tubular), adding Mantis Brush Guards (front and rear), Lund Interceptor Bug Shield, inside mount vent visors (Weather Tech, an easy installation), Arma Coat bed (black). Have clear corner lenses. Daylight running lights (from Ford).

Old 10-06-2000 | 01:21 PM
|
Question

150agogo,

I forgot to ask, what is your computer code? Mine is VZR1.

Thanks,

hut

------------------
2001 XLT, Flareside,SuperCab, 4x4, loaded, off road package, 4.6 with standard transmission, Ravin Z33 exhaust system (one into two, out the back) island blue,Going to install Superchip (Once the program is written), K & N Filter Charger Kit, has factory bars (tubular), adding Mantis Brush Guards (front and rear), Lund Interceptor Bug Shield, inside mount vent visors (Weather Tech, an easy installation), Arma Coat bed (black). Have clear corner lenses. Daylight running lights (from Ford).

Old 10-06-2000 | 03:03 PM
africanhut I am not sure what Gen II is. I have the K&N cold air induction ordered online from here. Is this the same?

I have heard of your problem before. Try cleaning some of the oil off of the filter and reinstlling, also clean the sensor. Hope you didn't break it.

How do I check my computer code? I'll check for you.

------------------

Old 10-06-2000 | 03:19 PM
Thumbs up

F150agogo, if you open your passenger side door, the little white sticker is in between there where the the door connects to the truck. Where it pivots. You'll seeit right off.

Hut, mine did the same thing. I took the air silencers off my truck the day I got it, and popped in the K&N. I also added a 3" to 3" coupler to the fender for cold air. The next day, on my way to get the exhaust done, the check engine light came on, and I too had speratic idling. They put the muffler on, and it was still on, so I went home. At this point I had 70 miles on it. When I got home I disconnected the battery, and re-checked ALL my connections from the sensors, to the vaccume tubes that connect to the intake. Everything was cool, so I rebuilt it, and hooked the battery back up. This solved my problem until about 600 miles. Then it came back on...I left it alone, and let it set over night. The next morning, it was gone, and I haven't seen it since. Now I have 2,000 miles. I think the computer has to get use to getting that much air. It thinks something is wrong with the intake. LEt it learn the setting for about 100 miles before panicking. Good luck. (I'm sure your fine. Just try to ignore that light. I know, it's hard.)

-AR

Old 10-06-2000 | 03:46 PM
|
Cool

Thanks jackel and gogo, I appreciate the help. I am wondering if I could have damaged the temp sensor getting it out of the old housing. I really had a hard time.

Just got off the phone with K & N and they say it could be because the main sensor is plastic now instead of aluminum. I think it is plastic yes?

I was thinking of taking it into the dealer and having them check the code to see what it says is wrong. If it comes up as the temp sensor, then I may need to buy a new one.

Like I said, with the exhaust system and the K&N system, it is running great. Glad to hear that someone else had the same problem and did not lose the engine.

Gogo, it is the same system sold here. I guess you use different terminology. They only make the one kit.

Finally, have any of you put on the Pre-charger Wrap that they sell? K&N said it help keep the filter cleaner and you cannot tell a difference in performance.

Well, have another hour to go until I reconnect the battery. I will keep you posted. Please feel free to e-mail me if you want and we can get further into this.

africanhut@cisnet.com

Thanks again for getting back to me so fast, I really appreciate it.

hut

------------------

Quick Reply: My Ravin Z33 is an awesome system