How 'bout NO exhaust - NADA, NILCH, IXNAY

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2000 | 06:49 AM
|
Smile How 'bout NO exhaust - NADA, NILCH, IXNAY

YEP, spent the better part of an hour yesterday trying to get my old stock trash can and sewer pipes out from underneath mine - to make way for the new Dynomax Ultra Flow...only problem is, I don't have the Dynomax pipes yet...so you are probably wondering: 'why the hell did you take your stock system off???' well, the answer is, I wanted to have most of the work done when the Dynomax pipes come in this week. Until then, I am one of the best sounding 4x4's around...maybe not completely legal, but just for a few days...

Actually, everyone is right about the Cats damping the sound - Imean, all I have is a 3 foot intermediate pipe coming out behind the cats and it really is bearable on the highway. The sound is really deep and grumbling, when you downshift into 1st or 2nd and let off you get that crackling sound -

Final answer: I really like it (for a short period of time, no long trips). Performance seems good, I don't know if it's any better than stock because I am too busy listening to the sweet music to pay attention to the performance!!!!!!

------------------
2000 F150 4x4 Lariat SuperCab
5.4L V8, ORP, Tow Pkg, Lthr Captain Chairs
Plain Black w/o trim color
Mobile 1 synthetic user

Mods so far:
-SuperChip from Mike T. (Best $225 ever spent!!!)
-Clear front corner lenses
-Carr Polaris step nerf bars (stainless steel)
-20% tint (drivers/passgrs windows to match factory tint)
-United Welding Service solidlid toolbox w/rails
-Herculiner (love it)
-Huskyliners and Bull Rings

Old 10-09-2000 | 06:26 PM
captain,

you have found the true answer to the exhaust question...straight pipes are the best and cheapest way to go, for me, anyway..you have to love noise, but it is not unbearable by any means...just my thoughts, but i never had any intention of running a muffler on my truck...happy wheelin, Rich

------------------
-1999 F-150 4X4 SC
-4.6, auto
-3.55 gears
-Westin chrome nerf bars
-dual straight pipes
-hikerdadrich@aol.com

Old 10-09-2000 | 08:20 PM
Me too, I just cut the muffler out and put in a Y pip and put duels out the back with chrome 3.5" tips. Gotta love the sound!

------------------
99 black f150 4x2 ext. cab sport w/4.6 V8. external mods. include:
3" body lift, 3.5" fabtech lift, airaid FIPK, JBA headers, Superchip headlight/taillight covers, wiper schroud, shadeblade, ventshade, bug deflector, bed liner, tonno cover, and custom duel exhaust out the sides with 3.5" chrome tips and NO muffler. Tires: Mickey Thompson Baja HP 35 12.50 17 internal mods. include:
Pioneer indash cdplayer, 2 12" subs, 400 watt amp, remote start, and aftermarket alarm http://www.4tssinc.com/truck http://www.mifordtrucks.com

[This message has been edited by christrucker (edited 10-09-2000).]

Old 10-10-2000 | 09:02 AM
Cool

It wont hurt anything. You need to run it out the side or the rear. Those fumes can get pretty heady.

------------------
Y2K EB Expedition 4x4
K&N FIPK
Gibson SS Swept Side cat-back.
It's all good!

Old 10-10-2000 | 03:38 PM
After seeing the positive feedback about the Ravins, I went to my local Midas shop to discuss it with them. Scotty, their custom exhaust guy there does NOT recommend the Ravin.

When I asked, he said a few reasons why. He likes Flowmasters best. He's read about the numbers, but just likes the sound better; his opinion.

Next he said he installed a Ravin on a SuperCrew a short time back, and the customer was not happy with the sound, saying it didn't have the right tone he was looking for; too high pitched, I think he said, not rumbling enough. Again, this guys opinion.

Well, he brought the Screw back and they decided to eliminate the muffler altogether. This guy is happy now, says it's the right sound for him. Scotty, the Midas guy, says because you are pushing exhaust through 4 cats, it's hard to get any good sound out of it. With straight pipe out is the only way to get the good deep rumble he was looking for. This Screw owner was not looking for a cackle like a big muddin' 4x4, but a good deep rumble that announces itself at open throttle. That's what he says he gets with straight pipe; meaning after the second set of cats, the pipe combines to one, then straight back, then spilts to two out the back.

What I'm trying to figure out is what all your systems really sound like before I choose. Everyone has their own opinion on what they want.

Having trouble deciding. Want a deep rumble that's refined, but when tromping on it, you know it. Not looking for a "Redneck Bad@ss 4x4" sound.

Just thought I would throw that into the mix.

------------------
(scheduled to arrive 10/30): '01 SuperCrew XLT 4x2: 5.4L; Limited Slip; Black; 5-Spoke Rims; Dark Graphite Cloth; Captain's Chairs; Power Seat; Cab Steps; Bed Extender; Moonroof.
(now for sale): '93 Ranger XLT SuperCab 4x2: 65K miles; 4.0L; Limited Slip; Black; Alum. Rims; A.C.; Power windows, mirrors, and locks; CD Player; Hard Tonneau; Running Boards.
The GO 4D IT Ranger

Old 10-11-2000 | 09:37 AM
Thumbs up

Mine's wide open and out the back also. Love it! I've been told that I could possibly get a ticket for no muffler/glasspack. But with some of the junk I see on the road I don't think I'll get picked out

------------------
'97 F-150 Lariat Ext. Cab 4X4
  • White/Silver, 4.6L, Auto.
  • Tinted Windows/Bedmat/Toolbox/Lund Bug Deflector
  • 265/75/16 BFGoodrich on polished 16x8 AR-136's
  • Cat-back Dual Exhaust
  • Polar Bear Grille Guard

Old 10-12-2000 | 12:21 AM
|

Go 4D it: There are a couple of good .wav sound clips on the boards here somewhere...do a search for dual exhaust or maybe glasspacks. I cannot remember if it was a 4.6 or 5.4, but they basically sound the same, I think.

Well I am still waiting on my pipes to get here. In the meantime, I am really getting used to the sounds I have coming under my truck. The wife doesn't even complain about it either! She did say it was a little loud at WOT, but that's to be expected when you don't have a muffler and your exhaust pipe is only about 4 ft long!!!

I have been a little curious of the fumes coming out underneath the cab, and what would happen if it stayed that way for a long time.
I used to have that standard carbon build up on the end of my tip until I switched to the SuperChip and High Octane. Now it burns pretty clean.

Boy, I think the Dynomax Ultra Flow will be disappointing after the way I have been sounding for the last few days!!! I'm spoiled

------------------
2000 F150 4x4 Lariat SuperCab
5.4L V8, ORP, Tow Pkg, Lthr Captain Chairs
Plain Black w/o trim color
Mobile 1 synthetic user

Mods so far:
-SuperChip from Mike T. (Best $225 ever spent!!!)
-Clear front corner lenses
-Carr Polaris step nerf bars (stainless steel)
-20% tint (drivers/passgrs windows to match factory tint)
-United Welding Service solidlid toolbox w/rails
-Herculiner (love it)
-Huskyliners and Bull Rings

Quick Reply: How 'bout NO exhaust - NADA, NILCH, IXNAY