Pros and Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Pros and Cons?

What would be the good and bad of cutting off your catalytic converters?

Old 02-06-2003, 10:36 AM
In New Jersey,

The good - awesome sound !!!

The bad - $2,500 fine per Cat and vehicle impounded !!!!

Trust me, I learned the hard ways years ago.

Old 02-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Good--sound out the roof!!!

bad--o2 sensors, fines and possibly more

Old 02-06-2003, 05:53 PM
Will a 40 series flowmaster still sound good with the stock cats on them?

Old 02-18-2003, 03:09 PM
I work at an exhaust shop here in town, I hear flows and Mags everyday in and out, on the newer Fords with the 4.6, the magnaflow, to my ears, sound better than the Flowmaster. Does the 40 series sound good on them, yes they do. Lemme share my experiences when I took my cat off my old F-150. I had a 91 F-150 with the 300 6 in it, I took the rear car off of it before I traded it, it goes alittle something like this:

I was the proud owner of 1991 Ford F-150 with the 300 I6 engine. Couple weeks after i had bought it, I immediately wanted to do some mods to it, mods that I will put me through hell and the truck, I didn't know any better that what I have done is going to screw things up and cost me extra money.

Besides screwing around with other things, one of them was messing with the exhaust system. At first, the exhaust was stock, quiet and in good shape. First think I did to it was had get a glasspack on it. So I made an appt at the muffler shop where I work and they put it on for me about $20, just the glasspack, not the pipes. I didn't work there at the time, needless to say.

I then learned alittle bit later down the road that taking the catalytic converter off would give a deeper more aggressive sound, yet, I wasn't aware that it would screw $h!t up for the computer make the gas mileage drop. So I borrowed my uncle's Dewalt Hacksaw and went to town on it. I fill in where the cat was, I went down to Autozone and got some 2 1/4" pipe and some clamps.

I got the converter off in less than a minute. For the hell of it, I started the truck up like that, I was literally rolling laughing my a$$ off. I was so so close of keeping the truck like that, I also knew that it was extremely loud and illegal to run around like that.

I went to put on the pipes and clamps I got from Autozone to attach it to the glasspack that I had put on. the inlet pipe where the conveter was was not 2 1/4" like I expected it would be but rather 3 1/2"!!! So I'm laying there on the ground, trying to figure out how to get the exhaust bolted back up

I went back down to Autozone to get some pipe reducers, They didn;t have what I needed in stock and they couldn't order them. I then went down to NAPA and they said they could order some for me. Now here's the funny thing, I needed the reducers to go from 3 1/2" all the way down to 2 1/4" So I had to order 2 of them. One that went from 3 1/2 - 2 1/2 and the other from 2 1/2 - 2 1/4. So they got them in for me and I bought some more clamps, meanwhille all this crap is going on, my truck is running like total crap and harldy wants to start, keep in mind the exhaust is still open. Only that was on the truck or connected to for backpressure was the preheater, and that wasn't really doing anything.

the inlet pipe where the conveter was was so big and corroded, I tried to clamp on the reducers but the pipe was to big to get it to bend and seal. Getting to the bottom of this, I did eventually get the exhaust fixed by the shop and had them put my old converter back on, and then later they put duals on it. Taking the converter off sucks, and it only makes things worse for you, the truck, and mother nature. Just leave it on man or otherwise, if you do want to go that level, put a high flow cat on it. Do yourself a favor and don't try to tamper with the stock cat and then try to put the exhaust back together, I speak from experience man!

Last edited by f-150_91; 02-18-2003 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:44 PM
yeah i kept my cats on the muffler guy i go to went i took my truck in said he didn't know i had that new of a truck and he told me not to do it.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons?