Glasspacks, Straights, 40s, and 50s

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2000, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Glasspacks, Straights, 40s, and 50s

Opinions on Glasspacks, Straight Pipes, and FM 40 and 50 series? I want to put a cost efficient exhaust system on my 97 4.6L that is fairly loud with a deep rumble but not obnoxious. I might also add legal for state inspection in Texas. Does anyone have WAV files of any of these? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-11-2000, 11:41 PM
I've got a wav of a glasspack and straight pipes, you could probably find them with a search, but since I haven't posted them in awhile I'll save you the trouble and post them again.

No muffler/straight pipe.
<A HREF="http://tnet.dyndns.org/open.wav" TARGET=_blank>http://tnet.dyndns.org/open.wav
</A>

18" glasspack
<A HREF="http://tnet.dyndns.org/glasspack1.wav" TARGET=_blank>http://tnet.dyndns.org/glasspack1.wav
</A>

This is just a single glasspack, split into duals that exit out the back. Same for the straight pipe. I'm not satisfied with this setup currently. I think my problem lies with the splitter pipe after the glasspack. I hear a noise from the exhaust at and around WOT that is best described as air flowing through a restriction. Anyway the moral is, I'll probably go with a Flowmaster 40 delta single in/dual out pretty soon, if nothing else to experiment some more...

------------------
1997 F150 XLT Flareside
4.6, Auto, 3.55, custom catback
Pioneer DEH-305, Alpine 3547 on Pioneer 5x7s, Punch 60 bridged to 2 ohm mono on 2 10" MTX 5000s.

[This message has been edited by Tiron (edited 09-11-2000).]

Old 09-12-2000, 05:01 AM
Tiron, I listened to the straight pipes wav file and liked the sound of it. However, if I chose to run straights would I lose power or gas mileage? right now im running dual glasspacks with resonated tips and its not as loud as i want it. I know the resonated tips quiet it down, would it make a difference if I was to replace them with "3 chromes? Off road guy, If you want it loud, I wouldnt go with the glasspacks I hear the flowmaster 40 series has a good sound.
thanks for any help

Old 09-12-2000, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't think you'd see too much difference between the glasspacks and straight pipes, maybe a little more HP on the top end and a little less torque on the low end. Plus a tad more mileage. Read on the Lightning forum guys were picking up 2/10ths in the 1/4 just with straight pipes. They've got alot more exhaust to expel though.

Word or warning, straight pipe really barks around 2000-3000 RPMS, so if you're every planning to pull anything not in overdrive it will be pretty loud.

As for the tips, I don't have any idea there. I just have 2.5" chrome tips on my 2.25" tailpipes.

Good luck...

Old 09-12-2000, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I think i might go with Glasspacks because of the low cost. Does anyone know the best size and setup to run on a 97 f-150? (exhaust in front of rear wheel). With what size and length can you get the best sound? Thanks again for the help.

Old 09-12-2000, 08:38 PM
is running a straight pipe legal in wv

Old 09-13-2000, 06:50 AM
Talking

Matt I live in WV and it doesn't seem to matter. I have almost the loudest exhaust I ever heard on my harley (porker brand) and as long as you are not acting like a fool there seems to be no problem. I have seen several f-150 trucks with straight pipes and no tickets for them either. As for inspection all they ever check is registration anyway---------where in WV do you live?

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT, SC, 5.4, 4X4, 355 LS, ORP, Black/Silver, class III, single CD, sliding glass, med. gray, keyless, elect. shift, engine date 8-18-99, Superchip. '93 Harley Fatboy Black & tons of chrome

Old 09-18-2000, 03:12 PM
greenbrier county. U?

Old 09-19-2000, 07:53 PM
Cool

Offroad guy,
The shorter the glass pack the louder it will be. I have 24" and am very happy. Not too loud, but gets noticed. If I did it again I'd probably go with 18" just cause I like it.

Old 09-22-2000, 05:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Wish I had louder mufflers now;-( I have
what I think are 24 inch packs now but it's
really pretty quiet still. I'm thinking about
two aerochambers mounted vertically where the packs are now. I have one on my van with a 21/2" single exhaust and it
has that underwater burble sound that I
LOVE! should've done it that way to begin
with. Come to think of it,I haven't heard any of those mustangs with that sound in
a long time. That high performance head,
tuned header, free flowing muffler sound!!!!!!Too cool!

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order
Hoping for deliverance from door crack hell.

Old 09-23-2000, 05:15 AM
98SCREAMER,
You might try 18inch glasspacks for a louder
sound, I just installed dual 18inch glasspacks, 3" going in and 2 1/2 out with some bazooka tips and it sounds loud enough to have ppl asking what I have for exhaust.
I tried straight pipes for a while, however I was losing mpg and with these glasspacks, im gaining mpg now. Off subject, I noticed you have a superchip and I was thinkin about getting one. Is it worth it? And around how much do they cost? Thanks alot

----------------------------
97f150 lariat 4x4 ext. cab shortbed BLACK
4.6L V8
KN filter
dual exhaust
billet grill
(thinkin about superchip)

Old 10-17-2000, 03:51 PM
If you go to gibson, flowmaster, or magnaflow's web sites they all have wave files on their exaust. I chose the Magnaflow because Dale at Enochs' muffler in Burbank,ca. recomended it, did the job on a Friday before Labor day at 3pm and only charged me $250 installed fresh bent pipe. Just had to deal with the new smell when I got out of the truck at the campground.

------------------
'97 F150 4.6L XL WHITE,FLEETSIDE R/C L/B, LEER SHELL W/FISHING POLE RACK, BED MAT,LIMMITED SLIP,245/75/16 DESERT DOGS ON POLISHED ALUM, WHEELS.
AIRAID, 3" CAT BACK OUT THE SIDE w/MAGNAFLOW MUFFER

Quick Reply: Glasspacks, Straights, 40s, and 50s