converters

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2000 | 11:41 AM
|
Question converters

has anyone just taken there converter out of the exhaust system?What were your results?

Old 10-16-2000 | 05:07 AM
there is no benifit removing cats from a vehicle, newer designed cats are so efficent that there is a neglible flow restriction, and by the way any vehicle with OBDII has additonal o2 sensors wich monitor the cats and some pcm strategies will not only turn the check engine light on, but will also drop the engine horsepower output so much as to force people to put the cats back on ( make the vehicle run in failure mode, only drivable in certain gears, etc )

Old 10-16-2000 | 05:15 AM
Just for a little info I have an 89 mustang gt completly stock ( with all 4 cats ) except for 3.27 gears and i raced a mustang lx notchback ( less weight , rebuilt 5.0 with aftermarket headers an H-pipe ( no cats ) and performace exhuast, both manual trans and in approx 1/4 mile I won by about a car length plus. I guess my old rusted out mufflers reduced the backpressure
Basically what I am saying is if you saw the diffence in emmision levels from a vehicle with cats and one without you would see that any neglible performace gains would not be worth it.

Old 10-17-2000 | 07:22 PM
Thumbs down

I read on another post the smog Police tagged this guy in Toronto,Ontario for emitting too many emissions, they have infrared sensors that can tell them if you are putting out too much when you pass by. It wasn't a small fine either. If you think your cats are too restrictive Gibson and other manufacturers make hi-flo cats you can buy, which would probably cost less than the fine.

------------------
'97 F150 4.6L XL WHITE,FLEETSIDE R/C L/B, LEER SHELL W/FISHING POLE RACK, BED MAT,LIMMITED SLIP,245/75/16 DESERT DOGS ON POLISHED ALUM, WHEELS.
AIRAID, 3" CAT BACK OUT THE SIDE w/MAGNAFLOW MUFFER

Quick Reply: converters