Need info about exhaust/muffler

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2000 | 08:00 PM
|
Question Need info about exhaust/muffler

First, let me apologize for the long post but I need some information and need to explain my reasoning about something so that it require some detail.

As some of you may know from my previous post I have added dual Ravin Z-33’s to my 2000 Lightning. It sounds great and I really like it however I wanted to get an expert opinion from someone who knows exhausts.

There are those on the Lightning Board who would say that one should go with three inch pipes and others say 2 1/2" is fine. It was posted that going with 2 1/4" would be unacceptable and that there is a difference and not to let anyone tell you that there isn’t.

After my mufflers were installed, and after reading this I checked my receipt and cross-referenced the part numbers on the Ravin web site. It seems the mufflers installed had 2 1/4" pipes on each end. The pipes on the Lightning are 2 1/2". Frankly I have noticed no difference in power or torque. In fact, it actually accelerates more smoothly, albeit more loudly.

The way I see it, it shouldn’t really matter weather the pipes are 2 1/4 or 2 1/2. Once the airflow is in the muffler it’s going thru chambers that are even smaller than 2 1/2" and even 2 1/4" as far as I can tell from the cutaway views I’ve seen of both the Flowmaster and the Ravins. After that it’s back out the 2 1/4" pipe for a few inches and then thru the 2 1/2" original pipe.

Am I wrong in my assumption? Seems the 1/4" difference in pipe width is negligible at worst compared to the amount the flow is restricted once in the Muffler.

Your opinions are appreciated.

Thank you.

kobiashi

------------------
2000 Silver Lightning
SnugLid
BedRug
dual Ravin Z-33 Exhaust
Valentine 1
Hyper Bright Headlamps and Foglamps
Mobil 1 Tri Synthetic and Mobil1 Filter
Mobil1 FactoryFill Plaque in Engine Bay
Matter/Antimatter Exchange Unit

http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293534625

Old 10-16-2000 | 08:09 PM
when i had my exhaust done the guy said 1/4" isnt going to make a performance differece only a difference in looks. so dont worry bout it cause if there is a difference it will be so slight you wouldnt notice it unless you were drag racin.

------------------
2001 F-150 SuperCab 4x4 Flareside Sport..5.4l auto,vinyl tonneau cover,pendaliner bedliner w/paintsaver, flowmaster delta 40 single in-dual straight out the back

Old 10-17-2000 | 08:11 PM
|
Cool

Thanks deezer -

Looks aint no big thing as the mufflers are not visible and the pipes before and after the mufflers are the stock 2 1/2.

k

------------------
2000 Silver Lightning
SnugLid
BedRug
dual Ravin Z-33 Exhaust
Valentine 1
Hyper Bright Headlamps and Foglamps
Mobil 1 Tri Synthetic and Mobil1 Filter
Mobil1 FactoryFill Plaque in Engine Bay
Matter/Antimatter Exchange Unit

http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293534625