Ravins

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2000, 02:42 AM
MNM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ravins

I stopped by the local Midas shop yesterday to get a quote on the Ravin for my 92 F150 w/ a 302 and 2 cats. The manager there quoted me $345 for a Z33 s/i d/o and $365 for a Z55 s/i d/o (both from the cats back). This seemed a bit high to me from what I've been reading here. He kept punching the buttons on his calculator rally fast and came up with these numbers. Questions: Is this a little out of hand pricewise? And, does anyone know what size exhaust I have running from my cats back now? I've heard here that the sound from a s/i/s/o 3" is awesome and that I won't be losing any lowend torque this way. How do they run a 3" pipe from my cats if they are currently smaller than 3"? Thanks in advance fellas.

Old 10-12-2000, 04:35 PM
365 is not bad at all. Mine cost me about 320, and I really had to press buttons to get it that low. Midas quoted me upwards of 450 to do it in the first place, so the 365 is really good. Just make sure that they do quality work. I know my 96 had 2 1/2 inch pipes coming out of the cats, so the odds are that your 92 does also. To use a 3" pipe, they "compress" (didn't know how to put it) the ends to just slide over the 2.5" pipe. It works out ok, that is how they did mine. If they are decent guys, they will explain everything to you in detail and allow you to stand to the side and watch the install.
Good Luck!
PS If you want the sound, use the 33's, I love mine on my new SuperCrew!

Old 10-12-2000, 08:49 PM
When I talked to midas, i asked what the price difference between the Z-33 and the Z-55, I was told it was less then $20. Just thought I'd throw that out for ya. Going to try another midas saturday.

------------------
Matt Watkins
RedClear55@yahoo.com

Black '99 SC: just came off the lease, goodies coming soon...

My Truck Page

Old 10-12-2000, 09:48 PM
That seems about right. Where in the country are you located?

------------------
2001 F150 SuperCrew, 5.4 V8, 4X4, Amazon Green, loaded to the max, K&N Gen II Cold Air Induction, Ravin Z55 Performance Exhaust, Line-X.

Old 10-13-2000, 12:00 AM
MNM,
I have the same pickup as you but I paid $260 for my exhaust. It is a cat back also. I had it installed at Exhaust Pros. IT consists of a glass pack with dual exits. I have them tilted out each side of my pickup with 3 1/2" chrome tips. If you want a Wav file just email me and I can send it to you. Also my pickup will have one cat as of tomorrow after noon! hehe

stangs69@hotmail.com

Old 10-15-2000, 11:18 PM
MNM
F150,
I'm from MD.
I don't know much about exhaust systems. I know that they free up your motor and allow it to breathe a little easier and they change the sound of your exhaust but, what is the difference between a cat-back system and just getting your exhaust replaced? At first glance it seems like the only difference is when they replace the pipe between your cats and the actual muffler? Another question: why would it be more expensive for the Z33? I mean isn't that their high-performance muffler, so shouldn't that be the more expensive unit? I don't get it.
Another thing, if I were to go with the s/i/s/o, what is the difference between that and the s/i/d/o? Do you lose the low end torque with that method and what happens to the sound?

Old 10-16-2000, 12:30 AM
MNM,

The reason Z-33 is cheaper then the Z-55 is basically this: there's less resistance, better flow meaning less chambers in the muffler. The Z-33 is also a bit smaller from what I've read compared to the Z-55, so I would perceive the price as being cheaper because you are technically getting less muffler. The price difference should be < or = to $20.

I will leave those other questions to someone who knows more than I.

------------------
Matt Watkins
RedClear55@yahoo.com

Black '99 SC: just came off the lease, goodies coming soon...

My Truck Page

Old 10-19-2000, 12:52 AM
Hey MNM,

What part of MD are you from? I'm from smithsburg. That sounds bout right for the ravin.

I still can't pick between the Ravin z55 or the FM40. i'm have it exit one on each side after the tire.

Also if anyone has a sound files of the z55 or the FM40 on a 4.6l please e-mail it to me at ICEMANS98F150@aol.com

ICE OUT

Quick Reply: Ravins