Raven a big waste of time and money!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2000, 08:43 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flows make my 6 sound like an 8. I get asked all the time, is that a 4.6 or 5.4? I have to pop the hood to prove its a 6

------------------
'97 F-150 XLT Clearcoat Red
4x2
4x4 wheels
Stepside, K&N, bedliner
32inch tires,flowmaster
tint, matching ford sticker
5spd fully loaded, hidden hitch
Comming soon:
spark plugs/wires,leveling kit,toolbox,
bed rails,push bar, CB with whiplash,
clear corner lenses,brush guard, blackouts,
edlebrock shocks, hypertech, K&N induction system,KC highlighters,
bed xtender, BOSE audio or infinity gold, disc changer,
side steps, dixie horn, white faaced gauges, and those small fender flares some 4x4's have,
matching boddy color of course, and some of those door guards,ventshade visors, power pulleys, that is all
i can think of right now

Old 11-05-2000, 11:29 PM
RkyMtn,
sheep?baaaaaaaaaaaBaaaaaaaaaaaa
Seriously though, for the most part,Mufflers and cat back systems are a matter of personal preference.If we like the ravin,we like the ravin(maybe its the name and the sound) I honestly don't think there was a diff of 100 bucks on two identical system at two diff shops.perhaps one was a cat back s/i s/o going out the side and a s/i d/o going out underneathe the rear bumper(extra piping adds up).
As far as us beating this thing into the ground goes, you don't like it, don't read it.Pretty easy.
Heres a little story about big companies not knowing about their products.2 & 1/2 months ago I ordered a part for my shotgun through walmart.I have impatiently waited while walmart tried to get their sh*t together and figure out how to order this part for me.I was told this part would be ready for me in 7-10 business days. To expect every company to have all employees trained about a new or special order product imediately is obserd.
Your brother worked for them.Why was his career there halted?Fired maybe?12 years is a long time to invest in a company to just up and quit.I think I am gonna stop now before I really say something I will regret. If you really don't want us to get mad refraine from the name calling. Well this sheep is off to get sheered.

------------------
-----------------------
2000 f150 4x4 sport,black, 3.55 5spd ,4.2 liters of fury ------mods----pioneer cd,alpine sub,cadence ultradrive amps,alpine mids&tweets,Delta tool box,class III reciever hitch,herculiner bed liner,taz floor mats,profile bug guard,custom painted tail light covers,headlight covers,cranked torsion bars,pirelli scorpion at(265/75 16), modified air box(crash1 style),JET air filter,blue cargo lights

www.lightningcrashz@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by lightningcrashz (edited 11-05-2000).]

Old 11-06-2000, 12:15 AM
Dear Lightning, He has moved on to a higher paying job. Lets face it you can only be worth so much doing something (in the mechanic world) like brakes and shocks so long until your just not going to make more money no matter how fast you work. He took some classes and moved up the high tech ladder. Thanks for thinking of my feelings though. You always been this sensitive? Please don't hold back I can take it. I'm all grown up now. I'm a sheep to! I have been looking at all these msg's and can't make up my mind. And I must admit I'm looking into one of bro's old work buddies getting me a square deal on a Ravin cash and carry. Don't come down on me so hard for calling you sheep, it was pretty accurate if you think about it. And I'm only going to say this once so listen! Every Midas Muffler in the country has a computer. This is the year 2000. Why do you think it is excusable for a national chain not to know about a major product offering and have standard pricing? This msg board is full of prices for Ravin that varied alot. This thread started out with why the price difference so don't take this post to personel.

------------------
1999 oxford wht F150 4x4 s/c, 5.4, XLT, ORP, Tow pkg, Alpine/Infinity, K&N, GlassTite over the rail style topper.

[This message has been edited by RkyMtnFordFan (edited 11-06-2000).]

Old 11-06-2000, 12:57 AM
Exclamation

ddhotshot, I know everyone is always partial to what they're driving or just spent their hard earned cash for. I was at 4x4 Wharehouse buying my airaid system and asked them how much a Gibson system would be for my truck installed, they said with installation and tax I would be looking at around $500. So on a wim I stopped at Enochs muffler shop in Burbank since he did a system on a van I had 7-8 years ago. He looked at the truck and said I can run 3" pipe from the Y back with a Magnaflo muffler exit in front of the wheel with a chrome tip for $250 out the door. I asked about the Gibson and he said I install them for 4x4, he charges them $60, they were tacking on a $100 + tax. Now this was a friday afternoon before Labor day, let's do it 40 minutes later nice growl. Even if it doesn't make as much horsepower as the Gibson the money I saved will pay for my Superchip, which will more than make-up the difference. It always makes you feel good when you know you weren't raped for something because it has become popular, although how popular can it be if midas dealers never heard of it? I rest my case.

------------------
'97 F150 4.6L XL WHITE,FLEETSIDE R/C L/B, LEER SHELL W/FISHING POLE RACK, BED MAT,LIMMITED SLIP,245/75/16 DESERT DOGS ON POLISHED ALUM, WHEELS.
AIRAID, 3" CAT BACK OUT THE SIDE w/MAGNAFLOW MUFFER

Old 11-06-2000, 03:54 AM
The reason that prices vary is very simple. Each Midas is independantly owned and operated. There is no "set" corporate price. Another thing, if you call a shop and "think" that you know more than they do (whether or not you do), you can guarantee another $100 tacked on top of it all. I know that when people try to show me up, they get screwed. So what if they dont know what is going on? All they have to do is weld the freakin thing to the truck and go. It's not like there would be a problem, they do have a nationwide warranty.

Rely on information gathered from word of mouth and the experience of fellow truckers like us.

Old 11-06-2000, 09:43 AM
Had the Magnaflow si/do installed on my 2000 F150. I am very happy with this setup. Nice quiet rumble at idle, performance sound at throttle, no annoying interior resonance from high frequencies, etc.
I went to Midas here in town and took a drive in one of the guys trucks that works there, a 98 F150 with the Ravin Z55. I wasn't too impressed with the sound. Would be great on a stock car, but very annoying for a truck, especially as a daily driver. Long trips would prove the Ravin to be too much interior noise.

Just my opinion.

Old 11-06-2000, 01:28 PM
franks&beans
Cool

ddhotshot,
Drop me an email (in sig), I'm also in San Diego and recently had the Ravin Z55 installed.

pix of my truck can be found here. Just remove the spaces.
www.f 1 5 0 w o r l d.com/darin

------------------
1998 (50th anniversary series) Solid Pacific Green Metallic F-150 XLT Supercab, 4.2L, Automatic (4R70W), 2WD, Limited Slip, 8.8 axle, Tow Pkg, 6' bed, Rear slider

Accessories added:

Performance:
Superchip / 4.10 gears / K&N air filter / Outerwear’s pre-filter / Ravin Z-55 muffler signal 3" in, dual 2.25" out

Suspension:
Edelbrock IAS shocks / Hellwig rear sway bar

Other accessories "added":
Color keyed outer grill / Perfect-fit bra / Stull polished grills / (4) 3A Racing 55 watt driving lights / (2) **** Cepek 150 watt driving lights, all controlled by SPDT switches / Clear corners / Fiberglass hood / Chrome F-150 emblems w/ side indicator markers / Trenz billet antenna / Power mirrors / Custom painted mirror housings / Muth signal mirrors / Driver side grab handle / White face gauges / Lloyd custom colored and embroidered floor mats Husky floor liners / B-Quiet sound deadener / Carr side steps / 3" rear seat lift / Black Max soft tonneau cover / Black Max cargo cleats / 3" body lift / OEM Chrome differential cover / Smart Park 2000 / (2) Lighted Ford logos / (2) KC HiLight 55 watt back-up lights / Viper 550 alarm (remote start) / OEM fender flares / Lift lips / BFG AT's 265/75/16 tires / (Custom painted OEM air dam, antenna cover, tailgate handle, slotted taillight covers, all plastic covers under the hood, and stone guards) / 23 tooth speed-O gear.......

Stereo:
still building......

Boston ProSeries 6.5" / Competitor 10" Subwoofer / Stock head unit with 6 CD changer.

Contact me at;
lmaox10@hotmail.com

Old 11-06-2000, 04:59 PM
RckyMtn
Good for your bro.Honestly I think cash and carry is the way to go,if you have a good custom exhaust shop that will put it on at a good price.The sheep thing irratated me because this site is here so we all can help each other-one big family.Yes, there are some very heated discussions in here but no one calls each other names.I haven't put ravin on my truck because I want to make sure its the sound I want.I am also considering magnaflow.So far just from what I have heard in here Ravin is my top choice.I am going to listen to both before I make any decision.

------------------
-----------------------
2000 f150 4x4 sport,black, 3.55 5spd ,4.2 liters of fury ------mods----pioneer cd,alpine sub,cadence ultradrive amps,alpine mids&tweets,Delta tool box,class III reciever hitch,herculiner bed liner,taz floor mats,profile bug guard,custom painted tail light covers,headlight covers,cranked torsion bars,pirelli scorpion at(265/75 16), modified air box(crash1 style),JET air filter,blue cargo lights

Old 11-06-2000, 07:33 PM
Cool

Lightning, I to am looking for that sound. You would think my brother could help but he takes that "you will be happy no matter what you put on, and quit thinking it through so much" attitude. But I'm very picky about things like that. I can't say enough how I enjoy the msg board here. It looks like I'm new however I was a member from the time I bought my new truck 16 months ago. Got a new broadband cable hook up and new E-Mail so I took advantage and picked a new name I had always wish I had chose. You can change alot of things in your profile and name is not one of them...lol. Anyway let me know what you choose and why cause I'm confused. By the way I was up your way last summer. Nice area with great fishing! I could live in Oregon or Washington State for sure! By the way if you were really a Sheep you would not still be looking around..lol.
Take care,
RkyMtnFordFan

------------------
1999 oxford wht F150 4x4 s/c, 5.4, XLT, ORP, Tow pkg, Alpine/Infinity, K&N, GlassTite over the rail style topper.

[This message has been edited by RkyMtnFordFan (edited 11-06-2000).]

Old 11-07-2000, 12:11 AM
RckyMtn,Yes the fishing is excellent here.However, you cannot fish the rivers for trout because of the endangered species of cutthraot trout that live in them.Really a pitty the rivers offer the best trout fishing.There is also great big game hunting(Elk,blacktail deer,bears,and cougars).The part about this that sucks is how rugged the terraine is because you will not find the animal on the roads very often.Its not unheard of to shoot a deer or elk a couple of miles from a road.Its real fun packing them out(not).
The guys at my local midas seem pretty cool.I had talked to them a while back (when I had my 98 f150) about doing exhaust on it.They pretty much told me that they would do whatever I wanted.No pressure from them on what to do.It was kinda nice compared to the other local exhaust shop."You don't want to do that you will only gain about 10 hp"I never went back after they told me what not to do w/ my truck.The 4.2 doesn't have a lot of performance accessories yet, and that 10 hp is 10 more than it had before.Those idiots had never even heard of gibson or magnaflow.

------------------
-----------------------

Old 11-07-2000, 10:25 AM
With the precats and cats on these trucks, I don't think any catback exhaust mod makes much extra if any power increase. Exhaust mods on todays trucks and cars are primarily a sound preference. You definitely won't be able to tell by the seat of the pants. One "may" see an increase on a dyno, but not by much.

Old 11-07-2000, 06:40 PM
Cool

Had the magnaflow on my 4.2 and lost some low end and had a loud drone on the highway.it was si/so using stock pipe.I replaced it with a dynomax super turbo and got back the low end and lost the drone.just some feed back on the magnaflow and a 4.2.good luck on what ever you choose.

------------------
------------------------- 99 SILVER XLT/REG.CAB/4.2/5SPD/3.55/K&N/Dynomax Super Turbo/Westin Black Nerfs/SuperChip/Hellwig Rear Swaybar/Energy Suspension Front Swaybar Bushings and Endlinks/Trenz Billet Antenna

Old 11-07-2000, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback,Mike150.I plan on using the stock pipes in an effort to keep or maybe add to the low end power.Have to wait and see.

------------------
-----------------------

Old 11-07-2000, 09:40 PM
oops

------------------
-----------------------

[This message has been edited by lightningcrashz (edited 11-08-2000).]

Old 11-08-2000, 07:59 PM
Waldo-

What is yourset up with your flow? Mine is a SI/SO stock pipes and a 40 series delta on it? Cause mine doesnt sound like a v8 and i want a deeper sound.

Anyone actually heard different mufflers back to back on their trucks? Cause i would be interested on hearing their comparison since it is the same truck.

------------------
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]
Things to come: coil spacers, 4.10 gears, Grill
ilmagill@aol.com For Pictures :
www.geocities.com/ilmagill

Quick Reply: Raven a big waste of time and money!!!