Why are SI/SO sides better than duals out the back?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why are SI/SO sides better than duals out the back?

I would think that duals would provide the most airflow and having them shoot back would provide less resistance.

You guys are way ahead of me in the wrench-head category, so why is side exit the best and why do most people prefer singles vs. duals?

Thanks in advance for the help!

------------------
2001 Bright Red Supercrew
4X4
5.4 V8

Mods:
BFGoodrich TA KO 285/75/16
Airforce One intake kit
Ravin 55 (Planned)
Rhino Liner (Planned)
Husky liners

Go Buckeyes!

Old 10-18-2000, 07:02 PM
Angry

That is the exact question I want to know. Also, if anyone could give some pictures of duals out the back vs. duals out the sides it would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
-------------
2001 f-150 sport 5-spd
3.55 bug guard, pendaliner
4 wheel disc

Old 10-18-2000, 07:55 PM
Cool

Single or dual pipe needs to properly sized; either can flow beyond your trucks needs. There are charts for this, professionals know or use these. Having either oversized can cause a loss of low end performance; although can provide high top end HP. If running true duals (completely separate), remember driver's side gas tank clearance. Running dual exits/tailpipes (using 1 single in muffler/dual out) flows like a single because the muffler can only flow out as much as it can take in; one pipe. Flow is limited by it's most forward restriction. Good Luck !

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
Class III tow/Payload #3/Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back,
3" exit Y-pipe, Hellwig rear anti-sway bar,
Rancho RS9000s.

Old 10-18-2000, 07:59 PM
Singles are much easier to install. If you notice most of the kits are 3" singles or 2.5" duals. This is to try and keep some back pressure for the engine.

You also have to think about the weight penalty. A dual exhaust is going to weigh more than a single exhaust and even more than an exhaust cut out before the rear wheels. Also look that if you go over the rear wheels you have to bend the pipe to accomodate. If you cut it out before the rear wheels, it is less pipe the exhaust has to travel thru and less restriction.

lastly look under the truck. it would be VERY hard to run a true dual out both sides like a mustang in the 4wd trucks. not going to happen unless you put like a body lift on there and snake it between the frame and body. What people do is cut the Y pipe and run duals down the passenger side.

[This message has been edited by Matt90GT (edited 10-18-2000).]

Old 10-18-2000, 10:31 PM
I guess that's my point...single in, is basically single out, even with "dual" pipes. So why get dual pipes?

I'm still a little fuzzy on which is best and why.

I don't plan on running true duals, I plan to leave the y joint prior to the muffler intact. I think it's a law that it has to stay intact.

It sounds like one pipe going the shortest distance is the most effective.

Is that true?

------------------
4X4
5.4 V8

Mods:
Airforce One intake kit
Ravin 55 (Planned)
Rhino Liner (Planned)
Husky liners

Go Buckeyes!

Old 10-19-2000, 09:01 AM
Talking

every one i heard from when i was doing mine has 1 in to 2 out. why? cause it looks better. as far as weight gains, take a look at the size of the muffler on your truck, its huge compared to a performance muffler(about 10" longer and 3"thicker)so throw that weight thing out the window you will actually save weight by going with a new setup regardless of what you choose. true duals are very expensive to do because you need more pipe, more bends nad two mufflers as well as a crossover pipe which=more labor=more$.out the side or out the back doesnt make a difference its all what look you want. good luck

------------------
2001 Silver F-150 SuperCab 4x4 Flareside Sport..5.4l auto,vinyl tonneau cover,pendaliner bedliner w/paintsaver, flowmaster delta 40 single in-dual straight out the back

Old 10-19-2000, 02:41 PM
My stock exhaust come out duel each side goes through separate cats (4 total, 2 per side) then the driver side crosses over just past the transfer case. Connecting duel in with a single out muffler.

What a waste.. I feel Lincoln (FORD) should have just ran the drivers side straight out making it true duels. They were so close.
They must have had some reason for making it a single out. (save money)?

------------------
2000 Navigator. Laser Red, Every option. K&N Filter, Superchip, Rear air deflector, Bug deflector, PIAA headlights (SUPERWHITE)

Old 10-20-2000, 12:56 AM
Cool

Wingnut33- single in/dual outs if for looks/preference. The Y-pipe can be modified; anything from the cats back is ok. The cats are a 50 state federal law. One pipe is easier, cheaper, and performs the same if you leave the factory Y and single intermediate pipe feeding the muffler. You are not going to have restriction running the exit before or after the rear wheel. Your most forward restriction is the Y-pipe. Take a look at it; mine was a 2.5" exit. One 2.5" exit is the restriction. The drivers side pipe also enters at a poor angle and is squeezed down to approx. 2.25". The factory muffler is restrictive too, I was told it flows about 200cfms.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
Class III tow/Payload #3/Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back,
3" exit Y-pipe, Hellwig rear anti-sway bar,
Rancho RS9000s.

Old 11-07-2000, 01:34 PM
Wink

Take a look at the size of the truck. Mine weighs in at a hefty 4,896 lbs. wet. Come on. I don't know about you all, but I did not buy my truck for speed. I would prefer to look good, and have great low-end pulling, gut-wrenching torque anyday out of my Blue Oval beast. The 5.4L does just fine. I am going to go with the 2.5" Flowmaster 40 single to dual out back. It looks good and doesn't steal my torque. If you wanted speed, you should have bought a Corvette...ok, ok, a Cobra R or even a Lightning if it needs to be a truck.

------------------
2000 Ford F-150 Super Cab Flareside 4x4 Lariat Black/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, Off-Road, Class III, Installed accessories included so far are: Lund X-Terminator bug shield, Vent Shade Vent Visors, GTS headlight blackouts, Westin Black nerf bars, more to come soon... visit http://www.bmgsite.com and http://www.isurfwebdesign.com and http://www.bmgsite.com/truck or http://www.f150world.com/lariat4wd/ for truck pics.

Old 11-07-2000, 10:31 PM
lariat4wd

How did you find out the weight of your truck? A scale? Or, do you have any other information regarding our trucks weights?

------------------
My Ride: 1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications: K&N FIPK, Stepshield door sill protectors, Performance Accesories 3" body lift, Lift Lips, Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST Shocks and Daystar front anti-sway bar polyurethane bushings.

Photos at: http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

Old 11-07-2000, 10:32 PM
Question

lariat4wd

How did you find out the weight of your truck? A scale? Or, do you have any other information regarding our trucks weights?

------------------
My Ride: 1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications: K&N FIPK, Stepshield door sill protectors, Performance Accesories 3" body lift, Lift Lips, Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST Shocks and Daystar front anti-sway bar polyurethane bushings.

Photos at: http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

Old 11-09-2000, 03:06 AM
Cool

Wingnut,
Duals don't always flow better. Depends on type of setup, make, motor, etc. Also keep in mind that often the exhaust that has the best flow and high RPM power has less back pressure, and do to this, often loses some low end torque and power.
Personally I use my truck for work and prefer the low to mid range power. Others will buy a system that will give them the best flow and top end power.
With a little research, you can get the power curve you want, and still pick your exit location and singles or duals.

Old 11-09-2000, 08:05 PM
Signman,

Thanks for the post. I talked to a local exhaust guy today and he recommended just running straight duals from the y back with no mufflers.

I may give this a try. I'm looking for the best performance and mileage with the least sound.

I'm not sure if his suggestion will work, but if not I can easily add mufflers in.

What are your thoughts?

------------------
4X4
5.4 V8

Mods:
Airforce One intake kit
Ravin 55 (Planned)
Rhino Liner (Planned)
Husky liners

Go Buckeyes!

Quick Reply: Why are SI/SO sides better than duals out the back?