Muffler suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler suggestions

I just purchased a 2003 F150, 5.4, Lariat, auto, 3:55LS. I want to put duals on it but I want a nice deep mellow sound, not too loud. I have the power moon/sunroof so I will be driving with it open in nice weather which is why I dont want duals that are too loud. I also dont want any exhaust drone in the cab. Rarely, I may pull a 2 horse trailer. The dealer's after-market salesman suggested a Flo-Pro. I am considering also the Magnaflow and the Flowmaster 50 series. Any suggestions?

Old 02-15-2003, 11:01 PM
sounds like you need a Magnaflow catback or even Magnaflow true dual system. They sound great!

Old 02-16-2003, 12:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I say get some flowmasters.

Old 02-16-2003, 01:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience is that the Flowmasters don't give off too much sound, but there is not much to be gained from them. You're better off going with something with a straight through design. If you're going to spend the money on an exhaust system, you may as well gain something from it. Magnaflow will give you a nice gain; it's best to go with a true dual setup (X-pipe and all). You'll be quite happy with the results. From what I understand, the Magnaflows are fairly quiet, but very agressive sounding (I.E. Muscular, yet not overpowering). Mike Troyer has them on his Lightning, and he reports no cabin drone.

-Flea

Old 02-16-2003, 01:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Texcowboy9,

To try to decipher what you mean by drone in the cab, a member posted some sound clips of 2 types of Magnaflow mufflers.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=106767

Take a listen to these and see if it is more cab drone then what you want.

The other thing to stay away from is a Side dump system, if you don't already know that ( don't know how much research you have done already / in the mean time ).
The dump in front of the rear tire adds some cab noise.

The last thing to stay away from is an expanded tip larger then the pipe size. This seems to work as a megaphone of sorts ( i.e. A Bassani type cat back with the larger tips ).

The last item is you want Duals on the truck, is this true duals, or something like a SI/DO system ? I just want to clarify what you are after in terms of duals, so I don't start giving out advice you were not after.

I am being rather careful with my reply, as this not the norm with the noise level kicker, while still wanting duals.

You can go a few ways depending on what you are after dual wise and what you consider acceptable noise levels.

I will tell you to remove from consideration the Gibson ST and the Bassani cat backs, as both of these dump in front of the rear wheel, which on the surface seem to be above the cab drone level that you might be looking for.

If you can take a lsiten to the cips, and let us know what you want in the way of duals, it would help in determining what you are after.

I have an exterior clip of the Gibson ST and an interior clip of the BAssani True duals with the X pipe, and the rear window open if you want me to email them to you. Just let me know.

Last edited by SSCULLY; 02-16-2003 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:30 PM
SScully:

I had listened to those sound clips before and I am thinking the Part #12579 of the Magnaflow may be what I am looking for. I intend on putting the SI/DO system on the truck, the true duals is probably more than i want to spend. I have a list of dealers in my area that I got from the Magnaflow website and one that is real close had put the SI/DO glasspack setup I had on my 2001 4.2. It was loud, of course a V6 is going to sound a lot differant than my 5.4. I am going to do some calling around tomorrow and get prices on the Magnaflow SI/DO and true duels, at this time I am considering Magnaflow first and Flowmaster second amd maybe FloPro.

Last edited by Texcowboy9; 02-16-2003 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2003, 03:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Texcowboy9,

Depending on the xhst note, then you have the SI/DO on either the Magnaflow or the other is the Gibson with the SI/DO, that dumps behind the rear wheel the same way the stock setup does.

I have the understanding ( mis-understanding ) that the FlowMaters are noiser then the Magnaflow or Gibsons. This maybe due to only hearing one series.

Steve

Old 02-16-2003, 03:50 PM
I've got a Flowmaster 50 series SI/DO in front of the right rear tire. If you go to fordtruckworld and look my gallery up, thier is a sound clip of it.

Old 02-16-2003, 06:52 PM
Flowmaster 40 Series

I have the Flowmaster 40 Series and it is the loudest that they make!!! Great deep sound with a good amount of interior sound. A step down would be the Flowmaster 50 Series...great muffler if you don't want so much interior sound!!!!

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2363

98 Supercab
XLT Lariat 4X4
FIPK K and N
Airaid Throttle Body Spacer
Flowmaster Exhaust
2 MTX 8's
MTX 325 amp
Radio Bar (neon)
2 Neon under the front seats
Connex 3300 CB
150 Watt Linear

Old 02-16-2003, 07:09 PM
If you go to flowmaster site they have samples of every muffler they make. It is pretty cool and helped me make my decision I have the 50 series w/5.4l single in and single out 4" cat back and it is nowhere near loud. I have a sunroof (not a factor in the least i live in both in hawaii and southern California Ialmost always drive with all windows open)
Re: extremely high flow exhausts, an easy general rule is more flow yields less low end. not to get real technical on the subject but the more backpressure the more compression potential By the air and resistance of the pathway (i.e exhaust tubing from manifold to tailpipe) within the cylinder yeilds more torque. If you are looking for horsepower then by all means airflow airflow airflow. If you are looking for torque keep this in mind

Old 02-16-2003, 07:26 PM
I am going to put a new exhaust on mine very soon. If I don't change my mind AGAIN, I'm going to go with a "Dynomax Ultra-Flow, 6" round stainless muffler, SI/SO with a 8" stainless, straight cut, rolled edge tip." Say that 10 times fast! No need for stainless pipe since I'll only be keeping the truck 3 more years. LONG LIVE FORD!

Old 02-17-2003, 03:22 PM
Thank all of you for your suggestions, I had a Flowmaster 40 Delta Series installed today, SI/DO with 3 1/4 " chrome tips with rolled edges. It has just the sound I want, mellow, but not "Hot Rod" loud. I got the whole deal for $250.

After inquiring at several shops that carry Magnaflow I was told that their distributor no longer had a supply of Magnaflow. This seemed to be an area wide problem, I dont know if they all were speaking of the same distributor or not.

Last edited by Texcowboy9; 02-18-2003 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Talking TexCowboy hows the new exhaust??

Hey man how do you like the new exhaust!
$250 caught my eye, did you install it yourself man.
I just got a 2003 F150 supercab Fx4 off road. I want a new air intake and exhaust, the sound of yours that you described is exactly what I am looking for. Does it exit in front of rear tire, or out the back. Is it dual or single. And have your noticed any benefits from it yet.
And lastly where would I be able to get one like it

Thanks Tex
Jim

Old 02-19-2003, 12:05 AM
Neck,

I had it installed here in Fort Worth, it was $250 installed, single pipe into the muffler, two coming out. I had the exhaust exit under the rear bumper. You can see a picture in my gallery. If you live in the Fort Worth area, let me know and I can give you the name of the shop, I called several and this was the best price, the workmanship was great.

I cant really tell much with performance as I only have about 250 miles on the truck now and dont really have anything to compare.

Quick Reply: Muffler suggestions