Questions regarding MagnaFlow Cat-Back Systems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003 | 06:13 PM
|
Question Questions regarding MagnaFlow Cat-Back Systems

Howzit Everyone,

I just returned from a few local muffler shops (MagnaFlow authorized) to get some prices for the MagnaFlow Cat-Back system p/n: 15609.
Both places that I went to said that they could order/install the kit but also told me that they could install the same thing as the kit (using all MagnaFlow parts), but for less money then the kit?
One place quoted me at $350 out the door.
One guy said that in ‘those’ kits they put in a lot of extra stuff that you don’t really need, i.e. hangers, brackets?

Anyways, I am thinking that at $350 this may be the way to go, as opposed to buying the kit alone for around $400?

My questions are:

Do any of you know what muffler MagnaFlow includes in their #15609 kits (I need p/n’s).

Have any of you ordered/done business with BigExhaust.com?
If so, how long did it take to receive your order, and if any of you had to return your order how was their customer service.

Thanks for any/all feedback, information, and suggestions.

Old 02-18-2003 | 08:22 PM
APT
Based on pictures of the Magnaflow system #15609, it looks to me like they use a 3" SISO muffler that has an offset on one side, and center on the other and it is a large muffler. Possibly #14589 is my guess. Magnaflow also makes a 3" one-piece tail pipe for the F-150, #15004. Add a 4" dia 12" tip and I think you have it.

Those parts are $104+43+25 = 175 plus shipping, one piece of 3" tubing from the muffler to the stock y-pipe connector, and the 2.5" to 3" converter pipe, and installation. Yes, you could build your own setup (or your shop could) for less than the system costs. I thought however that the $15609 whole system was T304 stainless, not just the muffler and tip. Regardless, I do not know that is the muffler Magnaflow uses, nor that the tail pipe design is as good as the system. Probably is, but who knows? That is the risk you take for customizing vs. going with a full system. The system has been dyno proven, yours may or may not achieve similar results.

STainless besides lasting longer is supposed to keep the exhaust heat hotter through the pipes which suposedly keeps the velocity higher than cooler air which the aluminized would do. I have no idea if there are measurable merits to this, just what I have heard.

Do you think you could put this system on yourself? If you get it from Bigexhaust for about $410 shipped, you can install it yourself in under an hour from what I am told. Looks pretty easy to me as the kit does coem with the necessary hangers to the same mounts as factory setup. If I were looking to save soem money, I'd probably choose that over a custom setup. The quality alone in welds is probably better than most local hack jobs.

I have just one recomendation. If you decide to go custom (or even if you go with 15609), cut out the factory y-pipe, repalce with a 2.5" 90* bend and a dual 2.5" to 3" Maganflow or FLowmaster y-pipe collector. If you are saving money with a custom setup, might as well do it right.

Old 03-01-2003 | 07:00 PM
|

MagnaFlow #15609 installed this afternoon ~ SWEET SOUNDING!!

Old 03-12-2003 | 09:19 AM
Wink Magnaflow

I had a Gibson Cat back system on my 98 F15 4.6 and lost a lot of low end.

I changed the muffler to a Magnaflow and am totally impressed. My low end is back plus!!! With the Gibson, could barely break the tires loose. With the Magnaflow, can smoke the tires. The only other mod is a K&N FIPK and BOSCH wires. I have 265X75 16 Goodyears and have tons of power. I also have 110,000 miles on the ride.

I think you will love the results.

Old 03-28-2003 | 05:44 PM
sclime -

I have the Gibson on my 1998 f-150 with 4.6L and want to change to MagnaFlow.... which MagnaFlow did you go with?

Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Questions regarding MagnaFlow Cat-Back Systems