h and x pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question h and x pipe

What does an h or x pipe do for an exhast system with duals on the website (flowmaster) it said it was reccomended why?

Old 02-20-2003, 10:45 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
jmorg1980,

The H pipe is an equalizing type device, that really adds nothing to the duals ( some will say it hurts the performance more then the help of the equalizer function ??? ) I really cannot say what the H pipe would do, never even looked at one.

The X pipe when done correctly is a flow accelerator that will increase the flow of the xhst gas, and increase the performance.

Usually these are used in a config where there is 2 SI/SO mufflers on the dual systems. I have not seen a posting on an install for a X pipe with a DI/DO mufler.

APT : I tried to hold off until you could post, but could not contain myself any more

Steve

Old 02-20-2003, 12:53 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve = funny man. Sorry, got busy with this whole work thing getting in the way. BTW, I am off the Magnaflow full system kick if you haven't read it yet. Still stand by the products, but not the complete 3" single system. Ripoff IMHO.

jmorg,

Steve gave a great description. I know very little about H-pipes, other than that many Mustang owners swear by them. The little discussions I have read about them suggest they are worthless except on equal length exhaust systems, which would explain why Mustang owners like them. But, most Mustang owners want the "Off-road" H-pipe which eliminates the cats. So, these people praising the H-pipe, are they getting the results from the H-pipe itselft or just because they removed a resctriction (cats)? I don't know as I don't follow Mustangs. F-150's are not equal lenth as the drivers side exhaust routing goes over to the passenger side just after the cats. Can't really make it equal length because of the gas tank on the driver's side.

Look at an H-pipe. Air flow velocity cannot be improved with a pipe perpendicular to the primary flow direction. And all we care about with exhaust is air flow velocity. A well designed x-pipe is a much better piece for keeping air velocity up, even accelerating as mentioned. Does it really help? I don't know enough about engine design. I write software for cars, not mechanical stuff.

Aaron

Old 02-20-2003, 05:16 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
jmorg1980,

If you don't believe Steve and Aaron check this out;

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/69238/

An X or H pipe is not needed if you do not have a true duel exhaust. Engines do not fire evenly. The triton V8 fires 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. So the passenger side would have exhaust as follows; Fire-Fire-Pause-Fire-Pause-Pause-Fire-Pause
In a perfect world it would be Fire-Pause-Fire-Pause-Fire-Pause-Fire-Pause The H and X pipes connect both banks and help even out these pulses. One is just more effecient at it than the other.

JMC

Old 02-20-2003, 05:19 PM
i have a si do so would i benifiet from the x pipe

Old 02-20-2003, 05:25 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Don't waste your money. Improving the area where the left and right side come together with a better "Y" pipe would be bettter. Although I do not know how much of an improvement it would be.

Old 02-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Sounds like the x pipe is right for me when I get my magnaflow system installed. However my local muffler shop is not cooperating with me, I have waited about a week and a half just to get prices. Oh well, if you want the best I guess you shouldnt get in a hurry about it. I will be patient,

Quick Reply: h and x pipe