Exuast suggestion for a new F150 owner

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2001 | 05:54 PM
|
Question Exuast suggestion for a new F150 owner

I bought my 2001 F150XLT 4x4 4.6L w/ Sport package two weeks ago. Even before I bought it I knew one of the first upgrades I want was a nicer exhuast.

I'd like dual out the back, with a nice, deep, agressive tone, but not something so obnoxiously loud my neighbors are going to complain, or I can't hear my stereo. Basically something that just lets the rice burners know where it's at.

Suggestions and how much $ am I looking at?

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2001 | 12:21 AM
I too would also like to know what a good set up would be. My situation would be pretty much the same as worc_mass_F150's, but i would be curious if it would be the same setup for the 5.4L 4x4.
Thanks in advance!

------------------
Tony

Old 01-09-2001 | 09:24 PM
I am very happy with my Gibson Supertruck. Rumbles at idle and growls under acceleration. Exiting in the rear is called the Gibson Split Rear and retails for around $279.00 plus shipping. It's suppose to sound strong too. Both comes as bolt on systems ready to go with mandrel bent piping.

------------------
My Ride: 1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications:
K&N FIPK
Gibson Supertruck Exhaust System
Stepshield door sill protectors
Performance Accesories 3" Body Lift
Superlift 3" lift blocks
Performance Lift Lips
Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST Shocks
Daystar Front Anti-sway Bar Polyurethane Bushings
Heckethorn Steering Stabilizer
35x12.5R16.5LT BFG All Terrain KO's
16.5x9.75 American Eagle 589's.

Photos at: http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

Old 01-10-2001 | 12:22 AM
Hi.... My suggestion for a deep throaty tone Flowmaster 40's not as deep is the 30's series...Had my HD exhaust removed and Flow 40's installed....

How are things back home much snow...Am from RI originally...john from NC

http://photos.yahoo.com/agrv8ng

Old 01-10-2001 | 11:04 AM
|
Talking

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm going to go with the Gibson because it's what the guy at the performance shop reccommended. I'll let you know how it turns out.

ps: JMTruck, your ride is beautiful! Good job.

Old 01-11-2001 | 12:46 AM
As for the 4.6 and 5.4 systems, I think every manufacturer will be the same for both engines. At least my flowmaster system was. I installed the flowmaster cat-back on mine and my fathers truck. I have a '99 4x4 reg. cab short bed w/4.6 and he has 2000 4x4 s/c short bed w/5.4. Flowmaster system was the same for both trucks.

Old 01-11-2001 | 08:41 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the compliments.

------------------
My Ride: 1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications:
K&N FIPK
Gibson Supertruck Exhaust System
Stepshield door sill protectors
Performance Accesories 3" Body Lift
Superlift 3" lift blocks
Performance Lift Lips
Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST Shocks
Daystar Front Anti-sway Bar Polyurethane Bushings
Heckethorn Steering Stabilizer
35x12.5R16.5LT BFG All Terrain KO's
16.5x9.75 American Eagle 589's.

Photos at: http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

Old 01-14-2001 | 12:06 AM
Cool

I have a 2000 SC 4X4 5.4. I installed the Gibson aluminized 3" inlet 2x2.5 outlet muffler, and I love it! I had Midas run duals behind each rear tire. I love the sound! Under normal driving, it is noticeable, but mellow, step on it, and it starts to really rumble. But when you let off the gas, it doesn't pop like some flowmasters i have heard. I do not need to add the fancy chrome tips to produce the desired sound, but that is an option if I ever want to make more noise.

Addtionally, while on a test drive with a ford service manager, he remarked how much he liked the tone. Immediately after installing the muffler, the Midas mechanic quipped "Thats what a Triton should sound like!".

The sound is louder than stock (without the drone in the cab) and when pulling a trailer, it becomes somewhat louder. I noticed little to no low end power loss, and highway mileage is consistant at 17mpg.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-16-2001 | 04:13 AM
Question

Personally I think that flowmaster is the way to go. What about a single in dual out FM 50. Those sound sweet if you don't want to much exhaust sounds. Flowmaster also offers their delta flow technology which limits sounds inside the cab

------------------
SpliT

2000 Work Series
Deep Wedgewood Blue
Standard Cab 5-Spd
4.2L V6 3.08 Gears
Mean Streak Cat-Back Exhaust(Anyone else have one, I hate mine)
Weld Super Single Wheels
Pioneer Deck DEH-P7200
Tinted Windows
Clear Corners
Superchip
AutoMeter Tach(Not Installed Yet)

Future Mods: FIPK, Bedliner, Billet Grille w/ Painted Grille Surround, Color-Keyed Bumpers, 6.5" Fabtech Ultimate Suspension Lift!!!

Email Me at: F150v6@Aol.com

Old 01-16-2001 | 09:31 PM
I just installed CGS Motorsports' single 3"inlet, dual 2 1/2" outlets on my 5.4L. This is the only muffler that I am aware of that is designed for low-end torque and power. Flowmaster, Magna Flow, Gibson, etc. are designed for performance at high RPM's. That's why you hear a lot of people complaining about loss of power and torque with these mufflers. How many of us actually run our trucks in the 5K to 6K RPM range? CGS Motorsports' muffler has a great deep sound without any drone in the cab. It also has a lifetime guarantee unlike Flowmaster and Gibson. Check out their website or give them a call, "www.cgsmotorsports.com"

Quick Reply: Exuast suggestion for a new F150 owner