Side exhaust : before or behind the rear wheels ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2001 | 09:27 PM
|
Question Side exhaust : before or behind the rear wheels ?

I'd like to put a gibson super truck exhaust on my 2001 f-150 flare side, 4.6L EC/SB .It's sounding the way i want but .I found that they are only available for 1997.
Is somebody could confirm me if it's because it was the only year with the original exhaust exiting before the rear wheels.
I like that style but somebody told me it wasn't good for the wheels and/or the tires.Is it true ? and what is the problem?
Why the Lightning got that now,if it is wrong?
Is the hp/torque gain ,more important on the before wheels configuration?
I'm really looking forward for your advices folks. Thousands thanks!

Old 02-10-2001 | 09:35 PM
I have the system and i love it. It sounds great. especially when i am really on it. I have had no problems with the wheel turning black.

------------------
97F150 4X4 OFFROAD K&N CAI POWERAIDE TB SPACER, GIBBSON SUPER TRUCK CAT BACK

Old 02-10-2001 | 09:39 PM
From: Overland Park, Kansas (Kansas City) - Soon to be Ft. Worth, TX
I am a Lightning owner and I have not noticed my wheels blackening from my exhaust being in the front. The only downside from the side exhaust on the L is that people on the left side of the truck can't hear/feel the rumble of the supercharged 5.4. Oh well.
One great thing about the side exhaust is the look of the exhaust early on a cold morning... most cars exhaust comes out the back, yet, I leave a trail of white smoke out the side of my silver baby.

------------------
2000 Silver Lightning
Born on date: May 9, 2000

Mod's (in order of purchase):
1. Black Ford slush mats
2. 20% window tinting
3. K&N air filter

Soon to come: hard silver toneau cover, superchip, new speakers, bug deflector, brushed alluminum dash --- now i just need money

Old 02-11-2001 | 03:09 PM
Zeus 2k1 says:
>>The only downside from the side exhaust on the L is that people on the left side of the truck can't hear/feel the rumble of the supercharged 5.4. <<
>>One great thing about the side exhaust is the look of the exhaust early on a cold morning... most cars exhaust comes out the back, yet, I leave a trail of white smoke out the side of my silver baby.<<

Old 02-11-2001 | 03:11 PM
The exhaust was moved to the back of the wheel because it does cause damage to the wheel. Looks like the wheel has been etched in acid. It may take a while. There is a TSB out on it. I had mine changed and they also replaced the wheels that had been damaged.

Old 02-11-2001 | 03:19 PM
I'm glad I'm getting Dual out the rear exhaust. Right now I have a single pipe that exits about 2 before the right rear wheel.

------------------
1997 XLT Teal 4.6L Flareside 4x4. Automatic, Reg. cab, tinted windows, bug deflector, Dual exhaust, K&N Generation 2 air filter, BullDog keyless entry/remote start(installed myself), Custom 16" wheels, bedliner, Covercraft tonneau cover. Going to add headers.

Old 02-11-2001 | 05:31 PM
WOW KENSTER ~ Get up on the wrong side of the bed? I do appreciate the sound of a nice exaust, and believe me, I'm well beyond being a teen age boy. Maybe I should take that as a compliment. Do you have a Lightning? I don't know if there were other models with exhaust comming out before the wheels. If you do, must have really upset you to mess those Lightning wheels up.

Dynobert - I'd vote for straight out the back - Kenster is right about the wheel damage and i just think that the truck looks balanced/classic with duals out the back.

[This message has been edited by Banzai83 (edited 02-11-2001).]

Old 02-12-2001 | 12:09 AM
It is available for all the years. You can confirm that in their web site or call them.

I am very happy with mine, no problem with the location. Sounds great.

------------------
My Ride: 1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications:
Split Fire Spark Plugs
K&N FIPK
Gibson Supertruck Exhaust System
Stepshield door sill protectors
Performance Accesories 3" Body Lift
Superlift 3" lift blocks
Performance Lift Lips
Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST Shocks
Daystar Front Anti-sway Bar Polyurethane Bushings
Heckethorn Steering Stabilizer
35x12.5R16.5LT BFG All Terrain KO's
16.5x9.75 American Eagle 589's.

Photos at: http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

Old 02-12-2001 | 10:50 PM
|
Talking

Thanks for your replies guys. Well I think I,m going to go with the super truck exhaust.In the worse case,i'll keep the damaged wheel for the winter tires,and i'll customize a rear double exhaust(second choice).A friend of mine is working in a Mr.Muffler shop and he's an artist of "tubing".He made a great job on my 1966 cyclone GT convertible restauring the double exhaust system ,front to back .
This guy told me that may be when you have only one exit,that concentrates the fumes in one spot;so wheels fading. With the Lightning exhaust ,there's 2 exit with an angle that dilutes the fumes;same for the gibson.Could makes sense to me.We'll see!
Thanks JMtruck for the in. I'm new on the net thing and i learn a little bit everyday.I went to gibson page,contact them and found what i need.
So i had a good time reading you folks. Thanks again.Keep on fordin'

Old 02-17-2001 | 08:45 PM
Red face

hey,
after reading a few of the comments on this subject i finaly can say i found my problem.I have a set of kmc aluminum rim on my 97 which has exhaust that runs out before the rear tire.that is the only rim on the truck that keeps dulling on me. looks like i will have to make a appontment with the exhaust DR.
Has anyone had this happen to their alluminum rims?

thanks you all,

Old 02-18-2001 | 08:04 PM
Smile

Just in case, since I have the Gibson Supertruck I guess that makes me a 39 year old teenager.LOL

------------------
My Ride: 1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications:
Split Fire Spark Plugs
K&N FIPK
Gibson Supertruck Exhaust System
Stepshield door sill protectors
Performance Accesories 3" Body Lift
Superlift 3" lift blocks
Performance Lift Lips
Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST Shocks
Daystar Front Anti-sway Bar Polyurethane Bushings
Heckethorn Steering Stabilizer
35x12.5R16.5LT BFG All Terrain KO's
16.5x9.75 American Eagle 589's.

Photos at: http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

Old 03-07-2001 | 08:01 PM
So, the acid thing cant hurt my truck if I wash it off once a week right? because I am getting two sweet a** tips in front of my back tire tomarrow, because its just so differant than standerd back exits.

Old 03-08-2001 | 10:50 AM
Zeus2K1, JMTruck....I'm right there with you guys, 45 years old and still enjoy the sound of a good exhaust, the look of a truck that is set up right, a muscle car from any era and any vehicle that an owner takes pride in, including my own. This is, afterall, a site for enthusiasts.

------------------
Ordered 2-20-01 TPW of 3-12-01 assigned on 2-26-01 '01 F150 Supercab XLT 4x4 SWB
507A Pkg.
Oxford white
Dark Graphite Interior
Captains Chairs
5.4 Triton
Auto Tranny
Off Road Package
Towing Package
Power Moonroof
3.55 Limited Slip
Heated Seats
AM-FM Cassette/6 disc CD
Power Drivers Seat
Sliding Rear Window
Adjustable Pedals
Electronic 4x4 Shift

Immediate Mods - Rhino Liner, 285's on Weld Wheels, K & N FIPK, Catback Exhaust

Old 03-20-2001 | 01:41 AM
Question

Can Anybody out there please direct me to a site where I can see this TSB? Or does anyone have a copy that they can mail me [I'll pay for the stamp! ] I just bought a 1997 F150 that still has the side-exit exhaust. I can't seem to find an official notification of this anywhere. Please help?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kenster:
The exhaust was moved to the back of the wheel because it does cause damage to the wheel. Looks like the wheel has been etched in acid. It may take a while. There is a TSB out on it. I had mine changed and they also replaced the wheels that had been damaged.</font>

Quick Reply: Side exhaust : before or behind the rear wheels ?