A ? for those with Magnaflow Universal Split Tail pipes...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003 | 07:51 PM
|
A ? for those with Magnaflow Universal Split Tail pipes...

I am ordering a set for my truck and am wondering how they mount to the truck...do I need to order some clamps or those weld on hangers for them?? How did you guys do it??

I know that WLF has this setup up, maybe he could help me out.

Old 03-18-2003 | 01:56 PM
WLF
At the back of the muffler, I cut a two inch piece out of the original tailpipe where the hanger is. I then cut the top out of the pipe creating a cradle. I then coated the cradle heavily to prevent rust. Into this cradle I laid one of the new tail pipes, inserted the pipe into the muffler, then clamped them all together with one muffler clamp. I inserted the top ends of the hanger back into the original rubber grommets on the frame. The other tail pipe I just inserted into the muffler and clamped. This did fine to hold the entire back of the muffler up with the pipes.
In the rear where the tail pipes exit, I used universal hangers at the point where my stainless tips clamped onto the pipe. I then drilled a small hole into the truck frame above the clamp and pop-riveted the muffler clamp to the frame. It’s clean and also works well. I made sure I treated all the non-stainless parts against rust.
Good luck and have fun.

BTW the rear hangers I got from AutoZone. The one I used from the orriginal system is the one with two hangers on it just behind the muffler. I will get some pictures up this weekend showing how I did the hangers.

Last edited by WLF; 03-28-2003 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2003 | 05:07 AM
WLF
I worked on the exhaust this weekend to change some things I wasn't happy with. If anyone wants to see pictures of the hangers, I will post them. If no responce then I won't.

Old 03-24-2003 | 12:35 PM
|
WLF...

pics would be great!! I will be tackling the project soon.
-Matt

Old 03-24-2003 | 01:15 PM
Yes! Pics please.

TIA.

Old 03-24-2003 | 07:29 PM
WLF
Well the first try didn't work. I will have to do this in a couple of posts. Keep in mind these pictures were done under the truck with a digital camera and using artificial light. You also get to see my dirty truck. It's been a harsh winter and it needs detailing both under and the top can use a good waxing.
here goes:
This shows the bracket cut from the old tail pipe with a cradle left at the bottom.

this shows it lifted up to the muffler

Heres the muffler all bolted up to the pipes and bracket.

Last edited by WLF; 03-24-2003 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2003 | 07:36 PM
WLF
heres a couple of pictures of the universal brackets at the rear of the truck. I changed from rivets to grade-8, 1/4 inch bolts and just drilled a hole in the frame.

These pictures are of the right (passenger) side tail pipe. The bright blur at the bottom is the tail pipe. Ihe bracket is bent but the picture doesn't show this well so if you want, I can take a couple of more to try to show how the bracket is bent.

Heres the finished product with the stainless tips out the back

Hope this helps. Ask any questions.

Last edited by WLF; 03-25-2003 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-25-2003 | 12:24 PM
|
Very nice...

job!! Excellent work and great pictures. Thanks for the help and extra time spent, Ill be sure to let you know if I need anymore assistance. If not, Im definately going to post pics of my truck after Phase One (shocks, lift, tires, tailgate, etc.)! I have at least two other phases planned but just bought a brand new CBR600F4i sport bike so it may take a couple years now to complete the look I want

Again, great job WLF

Old 03-28-2003 | 12:20 PM
WLF
Just to let you guys know. When I orriginally installed the Magnaflow system I removed a side exit Flowmaster 40 series which was quite loud and droned at highway speeds. It did sound good at part throttle.
After install, the performance was there but the truck sounded like stock. Part of that was because the exit is behind the truck and the longer pipes tend to quiet the muffler. Part was because the Magnaflow does a good job of quieting the exhaust.
When I had it apart last weekend, I sleeved the single side of the muffler (about 9 inches of the SI side of the SI/DO) with stainless pipe to try to tune it a little.
The results are real nice. Got that nice throaty “Mustang” sound at part throttle but is quiet inside the cab and no droning at highway speeds. In fact, it is just as quiet at highway speeds.
I really like it now. Didn’t want it obtrusive but I did want to hear it a little.

Old 03-28-2003 | 01:06 PM
Hello WLF thats a nice setup, I'll bet it sounds sweet too! What do you mean when you say that you "sleeved" the pipe ? Did you change the diameter or just the material of the pipe (stainless)??

I see that you used those band type muffler clamps. I have seen them used on semis and big trucks but was told that they were no good for cars & light trucks. Is it your first time using them or do you have prior experience with them.

Thanks alot, Le Pew.

Old 03-28-2003 | 01:38 PM
WLF
LE PEW,
This is hard to explain but I will try.
The muffler is stainless. The Magnaflow is designed like a glass pack. It does not use baffles like other mufflers. Inside there is a piping that runs from one end to the other and has many holes in it so it can baffle the noise. What I did was run a stainless sleeve into the muffler to block the holes in the front half of the muffler. This stops some of the baffle effect and made the exhaust note just a little louder thus "tuning" the muffler to my taste. The note is different then the Flowmaster, more refined but aggressive just the same.

Yesterday when my brother heard it for the first time, he said "leave it just the way it is, it's PERFECT". That was good enough for me.

The pipe clamps work fine but first you have to use a regular muffler clamp to "crimp" the pipe so it will not move. Then I removed the standard muffler clamp and replaced it with this type so it won't leak or corrode.

Old 03-28-2003 | 03:53 PM
Thank you, your explanation was crystal clear.

I never would have though of that tuning technique, it's pretty ingenious and I'm assuming it's reversable too! You continue to broaden our horizons.

Le Pew.

Quick Reply: A ? for those with Magnaflow Universal Split Tail pipes...