Gibson installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2001 | 02:13 PM
|
Thumbs up

------------------
1997 F150 4x4 Off Road, SuperCab, Short Box, 5.4, Royal Blue/Silver, K&N, Gibson SS, LT265/75/16 Wild Country APT's

[This message has been edited by MitchF150 (edited 05-07-2001).]

Old 05-07-2001 | 02:19 PM
|
Thumbs up

The gibson SS in my kit included a new hanger to attach to the frame and that clamps to the tail pipe behind the rear tire. My 97 came with the stock tailpipe behind the rear tire already. It had the factory hanger, so I didn't need the extra piece. For the Dual Sport, you'd need an additional hanger, which I'm sure would be included in the kit. You should get two rear hangers with the 97 kit.

I kinda wish I went with the DS, but I'm happy with the SS. It did everything I was wanting a cat back exhaust to do.

Good Luck.

------------------
1997 F150 4x4 Off Road, SuperCab, Short Box, 5.4, Royal Blue/Silver, K&N, Gibson SS, LT265/75/16 Wild Country APT's

Old 05-08-2001 | 12:29 AM
Post Gibson installation

Thanks to this awesome site, and the knoledge of the readers, I have finally narrowed down my exhaust search to 2 models. The Gibson single swept side and the dual sport. I am more inerested in perfomance than sound. My 97' SC flare side has the stock exhaust exiting in FRONT of the passenger rear tire. Does anyone know how the Gibson install is effected by going to the rear of the tire? Are there any additional mods I have to make? Any info. would be appreciated?

Old 05-08-2001 | 04:25 PM
|
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2winturbo:
Hey Mitch,
Just wondering why you are having a change of heart with the SS. Any performance difference in the two?
</font>
Mostly just thinking of the looks. It would look cool having two 3.5" stainless tips coming out the side. When I went with the SS, I was under the impression that "all" the SI/DO setups lost you some low end torque. You gained it all back and then some in the higher end, but I'm interested in hauling and towing, so more low end was needed. I later found out that the Dual Sport was "ok" for towing and that it didn't lose any low end. I never did see what the Dual Sport cost, but I'm sure it's more then the SS (I paid $279 + tax from a local 4x4 shop). But, depending on the cost of the DS, I'd still vote for the SS.

------------------

Old 05-09-2001 | 12:33 AM
Hey Mitch,
Just wondering why you are having a change of heart with the SS. Any performance difference in the two?

Old 05-09-2001 | 02:08 PM
mitch,

i purchased my ss swept side within the past year, and i could swear i read the same about torque loss as well.

i thought that performance wise the s/i s/o swept side was the best performer of all the gibson cat-backs.

i know that was why i chose the one i did.

i though i read something on their page where it said something to the effect of 'for the highest performance go with the swept side...'

also there is a posting titled something like
'nice little 4.6 exhaust mod' on this page that discusses replacing the stock y pipe on the 4.6 motor. i did this as well and i now get a nicer sound from the system (and it seems to be performing better, but i have nothing scientific to back that)

------------------
mr k
_ _ _ ____________ _ _ _
1999 f150 xlt ex-cab 4x4
4.6 triton v8
5 speed manual
3:55 rear
towing package
k&n f.i.p.k.
gibson ss swept side with custom ss y-pipe
AR OutlawII's/Michelin LTX M/S 265/70/16

Old 05-09-2001 | 03:10 PM
|
Thanks billycouldride for remembering about the Gibson site talking about the torque loss. I knew I saw it there. I was suprised to find that they don't say it anymore! Must have been losing sales on the other products. That was my main reason for going with the SS too.

I saw that post on the 4.6 Y pipe. I think it even showed a before and after someplace too. It is very different from the 5.4 Y pipe. The modified 4.6 one looks like the 5.4 now. Is it still 2.5" dia? I have thought of doing this, but make it a 3" and replace the additional two feet of 2.5" pipe to the muffler with 3", but I have also read that this will really not gain anything, because it is still being squeezed together at the Y. I think the 4.6 gains more, because the original 4.6 Y is so restrictive.

Thanks again.

------------------

Old 05-10-2001 | 12:15 AM
Exclamation

Mitch,
I was under the impression the largest tip for any GIbson was the Split Rear and they were 3". Is the dual sport 3.5" or 2.5". Also from reading the Gibson info. on the web page none of their systems cause a low end torque loss. I May be wrong. Is there any differnece in the amount of HP or torque increase or fuel economy increase between the SS and DS. I am more interested in performance, but if it's just about the same it would be cool to have the better sound as well which I think the DS is a little more afggressive than the SS. To your knowledge is the SS quiter than the DS? Also the price you paid seems pretty cheap. Is that Stainless or ALum. I know from carparts both are way over $300.00 maybe even over $400.00. If you know a coupon # for them I would appreciate it.
Thanks for all your help.
Thanks for thfo.

Old 05-10-2001 | 12:59 AM
|
I just "assumed" that the DS had the 3.5" tip too. If not, I know they are available. My SS came with a 3.5" one. I also just have the alum. version. The tailpipe itself on the DS will probably be 2.5". The SS tailpipe is 3". The SS is the quietest of all the Gibson's, but it is still a couple db's above stock at idle. Sounds pretty good at higher revs too.

As far as losing torque with the duals, that's the impression I got when I did all my research a couple months ago. I have since learned that this maybe just a "myth" or Gibson just changed their "information". I would swear that I saw on Gibson's site that the duals would lose some low end. I also got that impression from this site. I read so many posts about it, that I figured it had to be true..... I'm not sure what to think now. I am still very pleased with the SS and would consider the DS only if the price seemed resonable.

Sorry, I don't know of any coupons. I have read other posts that mention some. You could do a search for "coupons" and see what pops up. I just got mine locally, so no shipping or wait. Walked in, paid, loaded in the truck. I did have a muffler shop install it for me. I started to do it myself, but lost interest really fast when I found I needed to cut the old out and weld some of the new on.

Glad to help. I know I have gotten a lot of advice and insights from this page.

------------------

Old 05-10-2001 | 09:19 PM
the y-pipe post is under 'aftermarket', then 'exhaust systems'. i think the title was 'nice little 4.6 exhause mod'.

i do believe it is specific to the 4.6 (i have never seen the crossover pipe on a 5.4

if you are already doing the cat-back (and having it installed) i would think the y wouldnt add much the overall price. i saw somewhere (maybe a dynomax) that was selling an aluminumized pipe for under 40 dollars.

Old 05-11-2001 | 12:00 AM
I really appreciate all the info. I think I will go with the SS for the performance. Mitch, I think you did say it is a little louder than stock which is great, how does it sound when you get on it, as we all tend to do from time to time...Also, can you give me more info. on the Y pipe thing. Do you know if that post is still on here or do you know where i can get more info. on it. Also, do you know of any chain auto parts stores that carry Gibson.

Old 05-11-2001 | 12:57 AM
|
Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2winturbo:
I really appreciate all the info. I think I will go with the SS for the performance. Mitch, I think you did say it is a little louder than stock which is great, how does it sound when you get on it, as we all tend to do from time to time...Also, can you give me more info. on the Y pipe thing. Do you know if that post is still on here or do you know where i can get more info. on it. Also, do you know of any chain auto parts stores that carry Gibson. </font>
It's not much "louder" at idle, but has a much more pronounced "rumble" that it didn't have before. With the windows open you can tell a difference too. Still, not "loud", but a noticable rumble that just keeps going the faster you go. The wind and engine noise take over after 35 mph, but with the windows up and the radio off at 65 mph, it sounds really cool in the cab. No drone at all, just the muffled rumble of a V8 coming in. Put it to the floor, and WOW, the tach goes to 4 grand, you get pushed back in the seat and you get more engine noise then exhaust, but you can still hear the exhaust. I'd like to ride in the bed while it's being driven to really hear what it sounds like at the pipe sometime. I was really concerned about the cab noise when deciding which one to get. I've had my time with "loud" mufflered cars (86 Mustang GT) and now just wanted something more then stock, but something the wife would want to ride in! Anyway, I'm rambling on pretty good and not answering your other questions.

I can't recall the specific post on the 4.6 Y, but I think it was "4.6 exhaust mod". Just do a search on this forum and it should be there. If you have the 5.4, I wouldn't spend the money to get the Y replaced. It's already flowing as much as it can, and even making it a full 3" won't net you much at all, if anything. You'd have to cut the Y out completely and go with true duals with a crossover pipe between them to see any change, then you need two mufflers and two tailpipes, etc. I'd only go this way if you were only looking for sound.... Only my opinion...

I'm not sure of any chain stores that carry it. I got mine from a place called Central 4 Wheel Drive. I think they are only local, but I'd guess that most 4x4 shops will have them. The best thing about buying it local was that I was able to open the box before leaving to make sure it was all there and in good condition. I've heard some say that when they got theirs over the internet, the shipping banged up the box and the contents pretty good and had to return it!!

Are you planning on installing it yourself? It can be done, but.....

I'm sure you will be happy with the SS. Just don't expect it to sound like a Flowmaster!!

------------------

Old 05-11-2001 | 12:59 AM
Having installed a Jardine (1st), and a Gibson SS (current) on my Expy, I wanted to add my 2 cents. The Gibson SS is slightly louder than stock, and most noticable in the 1500-1800rpm range. At highway speed, it's virtually identical to stock. If you get on it?, nice sound but not mind-blowing. You'll be very happy with the choice.

BTW, the reason I removed the Jardine? It sounded like I was stompin the pedal all the time. That sucker is great for someone who wants to turn some heads. Besides, the interior drone drive me nuts.

------------------
Jeff's Expy: 2000 Wedgewood Blue Expy XLT 5.4L 4x4, C&C group, beige leather interior, captain's chairs, 6 CD Changer, 255/70R16, towing package, Mobil1 5W-30 Synthetic w/ Puralator filter
MODS
  • Ford all-weather floor mats (2/15/00)
  • Ford Bug Deflector (2/15/00)
  • Superchip (3/11/00)
  • Airaid (3/23/00)
  • Edelbrock IAS shocks (3/23/00)
  • Under Seat Locking Storage Drawer (6/6/00)
  • MPC Rear Air Foil (7/2/00)
  • Ford fog lamps (11/15/00)
  • Wizard Super-White Headlamps and Foglamps (1/15/01)
  • Gibson Swept Side catback (2/8/01)
  • Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar (2/8/01)
  • Ventshade Window Ventvisors (3/4/01)
  • Stull Billet Grill (4/21/01)
  • APC Clear Corners (4/21/01)
  • Nokia Hands-Free Phone System (5/7/01)
  • PIAA Super White Running Board Lamps (5/8/01)

Old 05-11-2001 | 08:08 PM
I just put on my gibson SS last night and it sounds perfect and doesn't seem to affect low end at all. It is much lighter than the stock system and sounds way better. You can get some good talk back if you stomp on it but otherwise it's barely louder than stock and if you add a FIPK the combination is a real bolt on bang for the buck. I got my SS for $260.00 + tax from Performance Products. Check out there website @ performanceproducts.com. It lists for $300.95 but I picked it up at the shop and the guy cut me a great deal!

------------------

Quick Reply: Gibson installation