Pissed about Gibson

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2001 | 03:24 PM
|
Thumbs down Pissed about Gibson

Is it true that the Gibson I have on my truck is not even built by them? Someone at a shop told me that they are not a manufacture but only a company who puts someone else's stuff in a Gibson box. He showed me a competitors muffler that they use for stock and it was a Gibson without the damn name on it. What gives? I paid hefty for a so-called Gibson. He also said if they really test their product, then why does a V6 truck have the exact muffler as a 350 and 5.3 and so on.

Any insight would help because I'm about to go through the roof and call them.

Old 05-09-2001 | 04:25 PM
god i hope not and don't blame you if its true. check this out. they may be making exhaust for other companies instead of companies makeing exhaust for them.

http://www.gibsonperformance.com/index2.html

------------------
2001 F-150 4X4 Supercab
XLT 139" WB style side
5.4L V8 3.55 LIMITED SLIP AXLE
MODS:
AIRAID FIPK
SUPERCHIP(FLIP CHIP)
ROLL & LOCK TONNEAU

sitting in garage mods
GIBSON CAT BACK
GIBSON HEADER
REFLEXX COBRA HOOD
STREET SCENE GRILL
HOLLEY THUNDER SUPERCHARGE
ALL TO BE INSTALLED IN 20 DAYS

Old 05-09-2001 | 04:40 PM
|
I can see that they are on show trucks, but that doesn't mean anything.

The guy I talked to sells Gibson to the "I have to have it" customer. But he laugh's he said because they don't make their own mufflers which is the heart of the damn thing. That's why he say's 5.3, 4.3 Chevy's have the same exhaust as our 4.6 and 5.3. I did a little checking and it's true. Check out the online catalog they have. They sell the same damn kit for all size motors. What the hell is that all about?

I bought because they say they test everything. I'm starting to think it's bull****. How can Gibson get the same power to each engine using the same exhaust when Ford themselves can't.

Old 05-09-2001 | 04:43 PM
|
Whoops I meant 5.4.

I just type fast when I'm pissed.

Old 05-09-2001 | 04:53 PM
Doc
Red face

Yeah. I was asked to present the 'Gibson'
to the muffler shop before installation.
The owner (someone I trust) said that
"some" Gibson mufflers were coming thru with
a 'tagged' type *GIBSON* name plate on the
muffler (instead of 'stamped into' the
muffler - as mine is.)
He examined the muffler, noted the stamping,
also checked the appearance inside and said
it "appears" to be a bonified Gibson.
Apparently Gibson either bought out or obtained a large percentage of some other
muffler company? Not sure which one. I bought
thru our online store and so far, I feel okay
about this Sweptside for my 4.6.
Anyone else got further info? Post it...

Old 05-09-2001 | 04:58 PM
|
My buddy said to call them and pretend I was local to them and ask for a tour. he insured me that there isn't a muffler plant at all behind the doors. And as far as buying out a company. He said, it's bull. They say that because it sounds better then "Yes we buy from them and have them put our stamp on it"

Hey, I'm not bashing, but if this is all true, I feel like I was take'n

A boified Gibson can be just that since it has thier name on it, but who's to say it;'s not another brand with the Gibson logo on it?

Old 05-09-2001 | 05:15 PM
Doc
Just called Gibson... advised them of the
heated debate. Spoke with Robert in tech
and he said absolutely all Gibsons, stamped
Gibson, were Gibsons...
As far as 'who makes' them? Well, I didn't ask him. Things stamped FORD are not always
made in any Ford plant (hopefully they are
assembled in a 'real' Ford plant).
My exhaust guy said the company that 'may'
be substituting is known or called by (he
recalled only) FlowPro...?
That's what I know. My SS goes on Friday AM
and we'll see how she works.

Old 05-09-2001 | 05:26 PM
|
That's cool. And I undersatnd that not everybody makes thier own stuff. But I just wanted to make sure it's their designs them not just picking another manufactures mufflers for fit. I was told they got nailed years ago using Allied mufflers and claiming it was Gibson's own and now they use someone else's. Maybe this shop has a hard-on for Gibson and is picking them apart. But I just wo0uld hate to think I could have spent a couple hundred less on a muffler shop brand and gotten the same damn item.

Thanks guys.

Old 05-09-2001 | 05:32 PM
be sure and let me know doc as i have one in the garage but won't be putting it on for a few days cause i'm ****ering with ford about my radiator and holding back on mods.

Old 05-10-2001 | 11:02 AM
If you look at all of the exhaust kits out there, the supplier takes their muffler that fits best and then build a system around it. I don't think anyone makes a different muffler for each application (not even Borla or Banks). That's why the 4.2 and 4.6 have the same muffler.

As far as the manufacturer goes, who cares so long as Gibson designed it?

Ian

------------------
99 Expedition EB
5.4l, 4x4, 4.10 LS
WMS Tube, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust, Superchip Flipchip, PIAA Superwhites

Old 05-10-2001 | 06:52 PM
Just thought I'd let you know that I have been at Gibsons place in Corona CA, and whether or not there manufacturing the mufflers there I can't answer but they certainly do bend the pipes and so on..
But as a previous and current Gibson owner I don't care where their stuff is made cause it works! Mine has helped performance greatly and sounds just right and as for the price, well tou could buy a Borla and be happy for 2 x the price ( assuming your SURE that their actually making theirs too ).

------------------

Old 05-10-2001 | 07:10 PM
Howdy!

That's why I don't use Gibson. LOL. Oh uh, maybe I should check my Flows too. You never know...

Have a high-flow day.

------------------
My ride:

Basics:
- '99 XLT F-150

Under hood and back:
- Ram air (Don't ask me how )
- AiRaid intake
- Flowmaster DF 50 Series
- 24x3.5" Stainless steel slashed tips (Yes! Solid polished SS, no cheesy chrome-plated)

Outside:
- Precision polished billet grille and plate holders
- American Racing 17x8s polished Pythons (Flushed front AND back)
- Goodyear.. something tires (Expensive is all I know. LOL. No Firestone firecrackers for me either)
- Rhino liner
- Ford nerf bars
- Ford bed rails

Inside:
- My girlfriend!

Fun stuff:
- Dual sirens Black Widow alarm system/keyless entry (Enough decibels to go deaf in a garage )
- Custom driving lights (Just a cool blue)
- 2 High-Watt lights behind grille (For people who cut me off )
- Dual horns (For people who, again, cut me off)
- Dual wheel locks (So I won't be driving home on bricks!)
- Spare wheel lock (So I won't have to use a brick as a spare )

Best of all:
- Texas A&M University aTm front plate! Gig'em Aggies!!

Stephlan

Old 05-11-2001 | 02:11 PM
|
Helloe, what do you work there? Listen to what you just said. So they bend pipes. Big damn deal! That's what I'm trying to understand. Why pay hundreds for a Gibson when I can get a muffler shop that does the same damn thing for less. Mufflers that fit instead of ones that are tested? Isn't that what muffler shops do?

I paid for a muffler that was supposed to be tested specifically for my motor and I feel from everything I'm reading is all I got was a mass produced EXPENSIVE muffler shop exhaust.

I will probably not use a Gibson or any other damn mass produced one on my next truck. I don't see the value added. I bet if tested the Gibson wouldn't give any more HP then a cheap muffler shop one.

Sorry to rant, but I feel like I got taken for a ride on this one. You call Gibson and depending on who you talk to the vehicle get anywhere from 9 to 20 HP. Heck, if they tested it, wouldn't everybody have the same results at the factory to go off of.

Guess what, I got mine from a shop that said I will gain 25 HP. So I have more HP then the ones that you get from Gibson directly...........what a crock.

Old 05-11-2001 | 03:25 PM
Howdy!

Hmmm, this is getting boring!

Have a boring day.

Old 05-11-2001 | 03:44 PM
Talking

I am pissed too! I went to the grocery store and bought their brand bleach only to find out it is made by clorox. this is ridiculous. I can't believe I bought some farmed out bleach. It probally won't clean my whites as well. Damn it!

just kidding!

Quick Reply: Pissed about Gibson