Loudest possible setup?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001 | 03:41 PM
|
Question Loudest possible setup?

I'm running a 3" mufflerless turndown from the "Y" pipe, and it's not loud enough. My girlfriend's 2000 Sunfire is louder with my old FM 40, and sounds awesome. I don't understand what some of you mean by saying that FM 40's are even too loud, because with no muffler, my truck sounds damned near stock at idle. Their is no way my truck is too loud for anyone's opinion here, I'm sure. So, what can be done to make her louder? Would it help to cut the "Y" and instal a custom one, or go dual with an "H" pipe? Would a 4" or 5" tip help? WHAT CAN I DO?!?!?! Thanks guys...maybe no one else has had this problem, so I may be on my own as no one has gone to these measures yet?

-AR

------------------
2001 F-150 XLT 4x4 Off-Road, SuperCab, Flareside, Black[*] 4.6L Triton V8 HPI[*] 5 Speed / 3:55 Reg. Axle[*] Keyless[*] Premium Audio CD

Mods:[*] K&N Intake (Chopped Airbox)[*] Removed Elbow Silencer[*] 3" Cat-Back (No Muffler, Turn-Down)[*] Cranked Torsion Bars[*] APC XENON PLASMA Super Whites[*] '01 "L" Taillights[*] Bugshield[*] Bedliner[*] Ventshades[*] Taillight Covers (Slotted)[*] Removed Mudflaps[*] "Light Argent" 4x4 Off-Road Decals[*] K&N & Flowmaster Stickers (Under the Hood)

Audio:[*] Clarion 6675[*] Rockford Fosgate 5x7's[*] Rockford Fosgate G360A2 Punch Amp[*] JL 12W3-D2 (Ported)[*]Viper 500 Alarm

Build Date: 8/23/00 (Kansas City Plant)

arobbins@mail.liberty.k12.mo.us

Old 05-28-2001 | 02:40 PM
Smile

Like how loud is this set up? I am running a Y pipe after the factory Y and have straights running straight out the back with 3.5" slash cut tips. It really echoes it, and have had lots of compliments on my system, its not obnoxiously loud, yet you know its there when you want it to be. Idling sounds almost stock from the cab, if you are behind it you can hear it really well.

The loudest set up would be true dual straight pipes, I'd run 2 1/4" pipes and run tips out the side or back, and have the tips in the 24" length, and slash cut, that will give you a nice power tone and the tips really make it louder.

Old 05-28-2001 | 02:45 PM
Talking

Almost forgot. Have the tips slighty pointed towards the ground, this makes it louder by echoeing the sound off the ground. Hope I helped ya out some.

I'm planning on recording mine soon, then you can hear mine and tell me how close it is to yours.

------------------
1999 Ford F-150 (5.4)
Extended cab
short box
Off Road Package
Nerf Bars
Straight pipes
Ford box bedliner
Captains Chairs
6 disc cd changer
Sliding Rear Window
Superchip
Fog lights

Old 05-28-2001 | 03:00 PM
|
Talking

Cool!!! I'll try to record mine with my laptop when I get back to work on the 4th. I guess, what I need to know is how much sound the factory "Y" kills, and does it void engine / tranny warrenty by removing the "Y"? THANKS!!! I'll keep you updated. Hopefully the 4" x 24" tip will help?

-AR

Old 05-29-2001 | 01:19 AM
Fordman302
I would like to hear more about your setup. I have been debating the exhuast thing on my truck for over a month now. First thought Flows, then read Ravins were good, then read both still sound weak, then I heard a system similar to your except they had 24in glasspacks. I personally thought it was still to quiet. So I guess I need to go with what you have or true duals (no shops want to actually do the duals for me). I want to know what size pipe you used on the whole system and tip length? Also, any power loss or gains who have felt? Thanks and can't wait to hear your .wav

------------------
97 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 4.6L auto, Std cab/Long bed, 3.55LS rear axle, PW,PL, and PM, captian chairs w/arm rests
Sylvania Cool Blue Bulbs, Ford logo hitch and license plate, tinted windows, blackouts front and rear(w/ford logos on front blackouts),ventvisors all around, painted logos on door sills and under hood, 55w backup lights, K&N Filter, custom 4x4 emblems, cup holder/LED mod, 99 F150 Triton V8 emblems, and much more to come

Old 05-29-2001 | 07:45 PM
Lightbulb

To tell you the truth i had Flowmaster 40 series on my truck and did not like the loudness of it. It was not loud enough for me. So i took it back and they put true dual exhaust glasspacks on mine and now it sounds mean. To help you out the shorter the exhaust the louder. Plus like what someone else said have them curved down to the ground so they echo off the ground. Also if you have glasspacks you can heat the exhaust pipes up by driving for a while and then leave your truck on and throw some water up in the mufflers so that they break. It really helps the sound a lot. Hope i have helped

------------------

Old 05-29-2001 | 10:00 PM
Fordman302
Thanks for all you info. I will consider all of this when I get ready for my system. If I find a place that will do it. I would like to have the factory Y cut and have true duals 2 1/4 out the back with 18 or 24in tips (stainless if I can) with about a 18 to 24 in glasspack.

98lariat5.4
You are right about the water trick. I never liked water down the pipe so I would just get them real hot then splash cold water over them. Makes them crackle more, without having to drive them for 6 months first.

I guess all in all I can't make up my mind what I want. Everyone's opinion's are different on exhaust setups. Here's what I want I want a fairly loud setup that has a nice growl without pops or too much cackle (I know it's alot to ask). Here's the choices I came up with. Catback Flow 40 SI/DO, catback Ravin Z33 SI/DO, true dual glasspacks, y piped glasspacks, or straight pipes.

Old 05-30-2001 | 12:59 AM
Smile

KYFordFreak,
My set up is this: After the cat's, I had a Y pipe inserted. 2.5" going in, and 2 1/4" going out. Then I ran the pipes along the passenger side frame rail, and had them exit straight out the back. I had 18" (i believe) tips (stainless) installed with 3.5" slash cut. I was going to run true dual straight pipes but the shop didn't have the time to do all that work for me that day, so I just am running this for now, I think I will leave it. It has a lot of growl with a lil bit of gas on acceleration, and when you run it up to 3,000 rpms going from 0-65 it really barks at you and sounds great. If you just ease on the gas it sounds like an ol' pickup with glasspacks. If you punch it, I dont know how to describe it other than its a great sound.

I ran 2 1/4" pipes and I lost no low end. I think I might have picked up some low end, and I know I picked up mid-to-upper power also.

I will take pics as soon as my friend gets home with his digital camera, and also record it when he brings his lap top home.

Should be within a week or so i'm hoping.

------------------
1999 Ford F-150 (5.4)
Extended cab
short box
Off Road Package
Nerf Bars
Straight pipes
Ford box bedliner
Captains Chairs
6 disc cd changer
Sliding Rear Window
Superchip