A Fact Finding on Flowmaster Just for You Guys!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2001 | 10:58 AM
|
Fallscrew...The 2.5" is the norm on late model F150's at my buddies shop. The drivers side pipe must be routed between the spare and the drivers side rear shock but it's not a problem if the installer knows what he is doing. Absolutely no drone at highway speeds. I didn't think it was possible to take my enjoyment of this truck to another level, however, the exhaust system has done it. If the FIPK furthers that enjoyment I may end up with a smile on my face that a mortician can't remove.

Regarding your question of tires and the spare. The Goodyear web site specs out the 17" Goodyear RTS tires (the ORP tires) as having an diameter of 32". The BFG AT KO's and Bridgestone Dueler AT's both have a diameter of 32.9" (according to their respective web site specs). A big plus of the Weld wheels is that the factory Ford lug nuts are used with most of their standard wheels, hidden below the optional Weld lug covers (held on by two stainless steel screws). You can probably see where this is headed, I am simply not worrying with the spare, the factory spare will stay in place on my truck. Nor am I concerned with the very slight difference in speedometer reading.
I'd be happy to send you some pics of the exhaust routing, as well as the 3.5" diameter tips. I can always break out the digital camera. And for what it's worth, I think my buddy would be willing to sell you some tips, though I'd have to ask verify it with him first. UPS picks up here at my hunting equipment business every day. Just a thought.....

Old 05-23-2001 | 07:12 PM
Zach

The info you provided here is excellent. This mod is very close to reality for my truck. Since sound is so different to each ones ear can you relate your system to a Mustang Cobra or regular v-8 stang. I like the sound of a stock Cobra. I don't know any one with a exhaust mod to check out the sounds. I just had a new nieghbor move in and a friend of hers has a modified F-150, I asked her to invite this guy back so I can talk to him.
We need to compare our system options (borla,FM,gibson,etc) to other stock cars like stangs instead of "...it's a little louder/quieter.."

Great info. Hope you can make a comparison.

Thanks
REDBUCK50

------------------
1998 F-150 XLT 4X4 Supercab Flareside
Bright Red, Med Graphite 60/40 Int
4.6L V8, Auto, 3.55 gears, HD/Tow Pkg, ORP
Slider, Keyless Entry/Alarm, Pwr/W/L/M/S

ADDED

Uniden PRO520XL/Wilson 1000 CB
Alpine CHM-S655RF 6 CD Changer
Ventshade Stepshields in grey color
Stillen bumper cover
Bladerunner grill insert
Clear Corner Lenses
Rage 160 17x8polished wheels

Old 05-23-2001 | 07:58 PM
Zach,
Good new's! I spoke to the muffler guy today who is doing the actual bending of the pipe's and he also said the 2.5's would be fine.The 3.5 slash tip's that he has will be fine.I looked at them today and the plating is nice so I skip the rolled tip's for now.
I will give him the routing suggestion that you wrote about between the spare & the shock on the driver's side & let him make the call.(I don't want to offend him by telling him what to do.) Anyway's my truck goes under the torch on tuesday,so I'll keep you posted on the outcome.I'm really excited! If you can post some picture's that would be great,but if it's a hassle don't bother I'm sure it will turn out great.They did an exhaust for me on a chevy that I had a few year's ago & did a great job on that.
Thank's again
Mike

Old 05-24-2001 | 01:05 PM
|
Redbuck50....To give an honest comparison between my exhaust and that of a stock GT or Cobra 'Stang, I would really need to hear one parked next to my truck, both vehicles idling. Then a back to back comparison drive would be in order. Sorry I can't give you more feedback than that.

Fallscrew....If the pics aren't needed I won't break out the digital camera or the creeper. With the SI/DO muffler, running the drivers side tailpipe between the shock and spare is about the only way to do it right. You've had good experience with this particular shop in the past, I doubt you have anything to worry about.

New goodies arrived this morning! Pre-cut window tinting for the front door glasses on my SCrew. (rear doors and back glass have factory privacy glass) I saw a segment about pre-cut tinting for specific vehicle applications on a Crank & Chrome episode aired on TNN two Sundays ago. The company which offers this is GILA Window Tint. FIPK and window tint to be installed this weekend.

Old 05-29-2001 | 10:36 PM
Zach & all you other guy's,
Here are my finding's.
Today I had a flowmaster 50 delta si/do the back with 2.5" tail's with 3.5" tips.
(in place of my Gibson sweptside)
Holy crap it sound's awsome !!!
When I first turned the key to start it I was a grinnin from ear to ear.From what I read I did'nt think it would sound that powerfull & musle truck like.Nice for highway driving,no droan at all & not much louder than stock, great sound off the line & in passing gear.
I don't know about low end torque.When I had my Gibson I noticed an improvment over stock but I still could'nt roll the tire's over from a stop.Today I was at a stop light & put it to the board's upon take off and lit them up. Never happened before. Yahoo!!!
Although with the price of my 17" BFG's I won't be doing that very often (just an experiment you see).That's where I'm confused because everyone say's that the gibson give's good low end & the flow's are good on mid to high end.?? Go figure!!
Sorry about the rambling post.
Thank's again Zach
Mike

Old 05-30-2001 | 10:32 AM
|
Thumbs up

Outstanding Mike!

Old 05-31-2001 | 06:43 PM
Woooops Wrong room I think I took a Wrong Turn...LOL...

------------------
[img]HTML=http://www.angelfire.com/nd/pobox/truck.jpg
[/URL][/img]2001 XLT ect.CAB stepside running boards Sport all power keyless entry 4.6 V-8 FireTruck RED...
**NEW** K & N air fliter
**NEW** Duel Chamber Flowmaster Dumped in front back axel..
ALSO 1967 Dodge coronet R/T 426 hemi(FAST!)

Quick Reply: A Fact Finding on Flowmaster Just for You Guys!