BORLA QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001 | 02:07 PM
|
Rudy, the Borla web site indicates a 10-12 horsepower increase along with 15 lb. of torque with their catback system alone.

Old 05-02-2001 | 02:18 PM
Exclamation

Howdy!

Zach,

Those stats are theoretical maximums. You might get an increase up to that many hp but I wouldn't bet my rims on it.

RUDY,

You'll notice that your wallet is lighter by a couple hundred bucks. LOL.

Have a nice day.

------------------
My ride:

Basics:
- '99 XLT F-150

Under hood and back:
- Ram air (Don't ask me how )
- AiRaid intake
- Flowmaster DF 50 Series
- 24x3.5" Stainless steel slashed tips (Yes! Solid polished SS, no cheesy chrome-plated)

Outside:
- Precision polished billet grille and plate holders
- American Racing 17x8s polished Pythons (Flushed front AND back)
- Goodyear.. something tires (Expensive is all I know. LOL. No Firestone firecrackers for me either)
- Rhino liner
- Ford nerf bars
- Ford bed rails

Inside:
- My girlfriend!

Fun stuff:
- Dual sirens Black Widow alarm system/keyless entry (Enough decibels to go deaf in a garage )
- Custom driving lights (Just a cool blue)
- 2 High-Watt lights behind grille (For people who cut me off )
- Dual horns (For people who, again, cut me off)
- Dual wheel locks (So I won't be driving home on bricks!)
- Spare wheel lock (So I won't have to use a brick as a spare )

Best of all:
- Texas A&M University aTm front plate! Gig'em Aggies!!

Stephlan

Old 05-02-2001 | 02:45 PM
Cool

Rudy- The Borla muffler flows more than 4 times the OEM garbage can; you will get increased numbers. That is one of the best systems on the market and utilizes a modified straight-through design. As for your questions: Sweet sound/not too loud, more power and torque; especially mid to upper ranges (possibly up to 10HP or so), and marginal if any mpg increases. You'll love it as long as you are not wanting loud and throaty.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL, RC, LB, 5.4L, 4R70W, 3.55LS,
Class III tow, Payload #3, & Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS, Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner w/Paintsaver & gas/wheel/spare locks,
K&N F.I.P.K. w/Outwears pre-filter, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back w/ 3" Y-pipe,
Hellwig front & rear anti-sway bars, Rancho RS 9000s,
Mobil 1, K&N oil filter.

Old 05-02-2001 | 04:56 PM
|
LeanNCut...If Rudy's wallet is only lighter by two hundred bucks, then I would be steamed since the Borlas run nearly twice that amount AND we both ordered our Borla's from the same place yesterday!

Someone needs to phone Borla and tell them their in-house dyno is only good for theoretical maximums.

Watch those exhaust fumes in Plano!

[This message has been edited by Zach (edited 05-02-2001).]

Old 05-02-2001 | 11:08 PM
Cool

Try to get the FIPK when you can, Rudy. It has made a difference. I'm still gathering tankfull's and numbers, but I can tell I'm a lot longer between fill-ups. I added my Borla last week. All I can say is: "Sa-weeeeet". I'll ditto MaxMitchell. The Borla is not obnoxious at all. What a mellow, gurgly warble!! Anyone can make noise. But I love my "theoretical maximum" HP increases. Be advised: It seems to take about 100-200miles before the new pipes sound their best. I suppose it takes that long for the computer to get used to all that new air and <grin> "theoretical horsepower increases"

Old 05-02-2001 | 11:54 PM
Thanks for all the information & Theoretical maximums.By the end of the summer I probably will be getting an Air Force One FIPK then maybe electric fans.Its hard not getting carried away with these MODS,but that would be it.No chip don't want premium gas.

------------------
2001 F150 Supercrew
5.4 4x4 Lariat
Oxford White/Harvest Gold
Captain's Chairs
Power Moonroof
Sliding Rear Window
Skid Plates
Class 3 Hitch (1.42 Rad)
Bed Extender
Limited Slip Diff

-------------------------

MODS:
ARE LSII Cover
Line-x-Bed Liner
Lund Bug Shield
Husky Floor Liners
Westin CPS Step Bars
Undercoated

Old 05-03-2001 | 12:26 AM
Lightbulb BORLA QUESTION

I have ordered a Borla split rear for my supercrew.Don't plan on FIPK for a while & don't have any performance mods.Will I notice any difference other than sound? more power,more torque,better gas mpg ,etc ??

------------------
2001 F150 Supercrew
5.4 4x4 Lariat
Captain's Chairs
Power Moonroof
Sliding Rear Window
Skid Plates
Class 3 Hitch (1.42 Rad)
Bed Extender
Limited Slip Diff

MODS:
ARE LSII Cover
Line-x-Bed Liner
Lund Bug Shield
Husky Floor Liners
Westin CPS Step Bars
Undercoated

Old 05-10-2001 | 11:45 AM
|
Thumbs up

Heads up Rudy, we ordered our Borlas the same day (May 1st), mine arrived by FedEx Ground this morning.

Truckperformance.com gets a thumbs up for great service. I phoned them the day I ordered online and was told the system was on backorder due to the volume of sale priced systems sold. I wasn't expecting them for another 10 to 14 days.

I plan on installing on Sunday, "theoretical maximums" and all!

As luck would have it, I was ordering an Airaid FIPK from the Online Store here when the Borlas arrived.

------------------

2001.5 Lariat SCrew 4x4
Bright Red
Medium Graphite Leather
3.55 Limited Slip
Sliding Rear Window
Trailer Tow Pkg.
Off Road Package
Captains Chairs
6 Disc CD Changer
Rear Seat Entertainment
16x8 Weld Typhoon wheels
285 Bridgestone AT's
Valentine One

Waiting to be Installed:
Borla Stainless Catback

On order from F150Online Store: Airaid FIPK

[This message has been edited by Zach (edited 05-10-2001).]

Old 05-10-2001 | 10:43 PM
Hey Zach,Received mine yesterday afternoon & had it installed this afternoon.The Truck Accessory Center down the street from my house installed it and spot welded all joints for $60.Everything is perfect,fit,sound(nice tone not too loud just right),power(seems the same,definately no loss).I had the technician install it so the tips end at the bottom of the bumper so you don't have to worry about hitting your knees on them.Looks good that way.Good luck with your install & let me know how the Airaid goes with the Borla System,thanks.

------------------
2001 F150 Supercrew
5.4 4x4 Lariat
Captain's Chairs
Power Moonroof
Sliding Rear Window
Skid Plates
Class 3 Hitch (1.42 Rad)
Bed Extender
Limited Slip Diff

MODS:
ARE LSII Cover
Line-x-Bed Liner
Lund Bug Shield
Husky Floor Liners
Westin CPS Step Bars
Undercoated
Borla Stainless Cat-Back

Old 05-29-2001 | 01:00 PM
Thumbs up

Rudy,

I just put the Borla split rear catback on my 1998 F150 this weekend. Great sound, not obnoxious. I can't agree with the other responses regarding the HP gains. For all I know, it may have increased my HP by 50, but only a Dyno would tell the truth. I also installed a new air intake. I went with the K&N and would not recommend any other, espescially anything made from any steel/metal. Cold air is the best for your engine, why use a material that will heat up and retain that heat? Go with the composite K&N. Again, HP gains, who knows. If you really want to feel the power you've added, you need the HP to translate into torque. Only one way to do that - torque converter. That's my next add on, along with a superchip. Hope this long-winded post helps.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RUDY:
I have ordered a Borla split rear for my supercrew.Don't plan on FIPK for a while & don't have any performance mods.Will I notice any difference other than sound? more power,more torque,better gas mpg ,etc ??

</font>

Old 05-31-2001 | 05:00 AM
jjboods,

I am not trying to be a smartass by saying this or put you down in anyway. But please tell me how the plastic intake on an f.i.p.k will be cooler than the metal ones? They both are subjected to the same heat from the engine and will absorbe that heat. Just one a little quicker than the other. The only thing that will keep either from heating up will be an insulator....But both will heat to the same temp though.

------------------
ecm747x

2001 SUPER CREW XLT, BRIGHT RED
5.4L Triton, automatic 3.55 gears limited slip
tow package
16" tires
side steps
bed extender
ford/duraliner bed liner
60/40 seats
6cd changer
moonroof
sliding rear window

Soon to come Mods...

Adding. Power pulleys and electric fan in next month. Front grill guard. With light kit

MODS....
1) Lund x-terminator bug shield
2) Super Chip&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;Well Worth the Money
3) Airforce One F.I.P.K.
4) Borla Catback Exhaust
5) Gibson Headers

Old 05-31-2001 | 07:15 AM
Cool

Also, not trying to be a smartass. Think of a pan on the oven. Pan gets hot, handle stays cool/cooler. Metal is a better conducter of heat.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ecm747x:
jjboods,

I am not trying to be a smartass by saying this or put you down in anyway. But please tell me how the plastic intake on an f.i.p.k will be cooler than the metal ones? They both are subjected to the same heat from the engine and will absorbe that heat. Just one a little quicker than the other. The only thing that will keep either from heating up will be an insulator....But both will heat to the same temp though.

</font>

Old 06-02-2001 | 12:31 AM
Thumbs up

I have both mods on my truck and I Love them. You want HP and Gas milage? Try f150 xlt extended cab going from Dallas to Alabama on a tank and a half? 0ver 600 miles

Quick Reply: BORLA QUESTION