Flowmaster Duals

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Flowmaster Duals

After much deliberation today, I said goodbye to my Gibson Supertruck. Gibson makes a great product and I was very happy with it. However, at the time I bought it I was more concerned with the volume or loudness of the exhaust than anything else. The Supertruck definitely turned heads. It also made awsome power in the upper RPM ranges, at the expense a a small amount of low end torque. Unfortunately, this is not what I was looking for. Today I had true duals with 2 1/4" pipe and two Flowmaster 50 series mufflers and an H pipe installed. At Idle, it won't turn any heads. When I accelerate, the Flowmasters come alive. What a great, deep rumble. I have absolutely no in cab drone, and I won't wake the neighbors up at 2 am when I come home from work. I love the sound. I also gained a lot of low end torque. I got back what I lost with the Supertruck and then some. I'm very happy with this aspect. It still exits in front of the right rear tire with two slash cut tips for now...until I can find tips that I like. For anybody looking to do this, it's not the loudest in the world, but performance is great.

Lok

------------------
TRUCK:
1997 F-150 Supercab 4X4,Royal Blue,4.6 V-8,Tow Package,3.55 LS

MODS:
K&N FIPK,Performance Accessories 3" body lift,
Superchip,Bosch Platinum +4 Plugs,
True Dual Exhaust w/ Flowmaster 50 Mufflers,
Smitty Nerf Bars,3.55LS Swapped For 4.56LS,
16X10 Eagle 589's, 315/75-16 A/T's,
Rancho RS5000 Shocks,Rancho Steering Stabilizer,
Alpine CD,Alpine 5 Channel Amp,PPI 5 X 7's,
Boston 10" Sub.

Pics at: http://www.f150world.com/loknload/

Old 04-25-2001, 06:14 PM
Talking

I totally agree. At idle there's nothing, but add some gas and its a perfect tone at the perfect sound level. I haven't found one person that didn't comment on the deep mellow sound.

------------------
2001 SuperCrew ORP 5.4L Gen I
MODS-Ramsey Brush Guard and Pro Plus 9000 winch, MAAP steps, Airaid, True Duals w/ 50 series muffs, Line-x, bugflector, and huskyliners.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1508480&a=11420452&f=0

Old 04-27-2001, 06:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

I'm now decided,I'm putting on some 40's next week Have you heard about the alleged demise of the 40 series?

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's,,too noisy
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Clear front corners
Grillcraft grill insert
Speedglo gauges w/carbon fiber overlay,might paint it black
Stillen Quad light air dam,Sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,and Soundstream P203e amplifier//Single 10" sub
Viper alarm
On the waywheels,tires,Proglass shaker hood,new leather seat
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

I just wish it was lowered

Old 04-27-2001, 09:22 PM
Onebad & Locknload,
I am thinking of dumping my gibson ss & going to flow 50 series.Can either of you shead any light on If I should do the delta or non delta.I want si/do the back.
txs
Mike

------------------
2001 Supercrew XLT 4X4
BLACK W/DARK GRAPHITE
5.4 EFI V8
17" 10 SPOKE'S
3.55 LIMITED SLIP
ENGINE BLOCK HEATER
SKID PLATE'S
POWER MOONROOF
SLIDING REAR WDW.
TRAILER TOW PKG.
BED EXTENDER
CLOTH CAPTAIN'S CHAIR'S
STAINLESS STEP BAR'S
GIBSON SWEPTSIDE
WINDOW TINT
VENT VISOR'S
LINE-X-BED LINER
FORD MOLDED MUD FLAP'S
K&N FILTER
HUSKY FLOOR LINER'S
HEADLIGHT/FOG SWITCH MOD.
BFG 265/70/17 AT/KO
STAMPEDE BUG SHIELD
WEATHERTEC WDW. VISOR'S

Old 04-28-2001, 01:56 PM
Cool

Mike,

I have never heard a non-delta 50 series. I can tell you that my delta 50 is definitely quieter than a friends non-delta 40. I am certain I got my exhaust system right this time (and after only 2 tries too!). I love the sound...not too loud, but it will also turn some heads. Great performance. One of the reasons I went with the delta flow is because of it's improved scavenging ability. That not only means decrease in interior resonances, but also increase in mileage, and better low end torque. I really like my exhaust and would recommend it to anybody thinking about performance first, and waking up the neighborhood second.

Lok

Old 05-23-2001, 08:27 PM
OneBadCrewX4,

I'm considering the same system on my 2001 SuperCab F-150 ORP with the 5.4L. Any performance information and system specs you can provide would be most helpful. Thanks

Jim

Old 06-01-2001, 02:40 PM
Hi Lok N Load...
I am thinking of upgrading my system to true duals as well but have not decided on the muffler. Flowmaster 50 is on the list. How does your system sound when you deaccelerate or let off the gas. Does it "pop" like some of the 40 series do? I think 2.25" is the way to go too.
Thanks - GDG

------------------
Stock Package: 2001 SuperCrew XLT, Silver, 5.4L, 4x4, 3.55 LS, Tow Package, 265x70x17, Sliding Rear Window,
Modifications: Tuff Spray-on Liner, JBA Headers Jet Black Coated, Ravin Z55 SI/DO Sideswept Catback, K&N FIPK with fabricated cold-air box and ram-air, SuperChip, ASP Pullies, 1" Thick Sheepskin seat covers (nice "seat-of-the-pants" feel!), Nerf Bars, PIAA Superwhites, 65W (9006) Fog Lights, Dual 14" Perma-Cool Fans w/ stock shroud, Baumann Shift Kit on Stage 4 with Sonnex Bypass Clutch control Valve, Pillar mounted Autometer Ultra-Lite Water and Tranny Temperature Gages, Amsoil front to back, TPS Mod to 0.997
Future mods - Roots Supercharger, modified sterio system

[This message has been edited by GoDogGo (edited 06-01-2001).]

Old 06-02-2001, 12:55 AM
I just have a FM40 Delta Flow in stalled
with dual exhaust. I have a 2001 F150
Super Crew Lariat 4x4 , 5.4
I sounds Great !!

Low deep rumble at startup and idle.
Loud on acceleration, but fairly quiet
when cruising.

Les

Old 06-02-2001, 01:46 PM
Thumbs up

GDG,

Nope, doesn't pop at all. When I let off, it just has a real smooth sound to it. Now that I have some miles on it, I love it even more. I can tell the system definitely made some performance improvements. Like I said above, I would recommend this setup to anyone.

Lok

Old 06-03-2001, 11:53 PM
Sorry, i've been hanging at the world for a while. I have a AVI file i can send, it does pop a little. Performance, definitly helped but something might be better. True duals is the way to go on these trucks its too easy. Makes the deep sound i was looking for. E-mail me at Onebadcrewx4@aol.com for video

Old 06-05-2001, 02:42 PM
Loknload,
Do they actually put two catalatic converters on with this set up? How much was the whole installation? After all that I have been reading this sounds like the way to go. Thanks for any info....

y2knit

Old 06-05-2001, 06:26 PM
Cool

Our trucks have 4 cats on them. 2 on each side, then a y pipe (probably the worst one I've ever seen)into a single pipe, then into the stock muffler. These trucks are set up to run true duals. All you have to do is have a shop cut the y pipe off and run the new system. Mine was $450. Not the cheapest estimate I got, but i felt comfortable with the place that did it and they have worked on alot of 97-up F-150's.

Old 06-05-2001, 10:34 PM
Just got back today from the shop with my new FM40 true duals! YIPEE! They ARE loud I'll tell ya. Tonight, on the way home, I actually saw a couple of teenagers turn their heads to look. I admit, sadly, that I think that I might have lost some (albeit very minimal) off the low end, but it seems as thought the whole damn system is running better now.

So, from the get go, the pick-up speed seems a bit slower, but once I'm rolling I seem to have more? Does this make sense? Or is this what most mean by losing some low end torque?

------------------
Black 98 F150-XL, 2WD, 4.6L Slappin Windsor Triton, 5spd.,
RegCab, Short WB, 3.08 rear, Air, Rear Slider, Triton V8 Badges,
Duraliner Boxliner, K&N, Ziebart, Castrol Syntec, HAWK Plus Bedcap, profile+ wrap-around bug deflector, Blazer Neon-Blue projector fogs, custom look'n door cracks Tinting: #4 RearCab & Bedcap Windows,
#2 Cabside Windows

My Site

Old 06-05-2001, 10:41 PM
Question

Does anyone know if true duals are louder than an equalvillant single pipe system? For instance, I'm running 3" mufflerless turndown, and it's still very quiet, yet many say their true dual FM 50's 40's etc. are "very loud". Does the "Y" pipe, or just the fact that their duals make that much of a difference in sound / power?

BTW, did you have an "H" pipe installed defacto? If not, that may be your problem, and I hear the "H" pipe gives LOTS of low-end back, and even gains over than stock.

-AR

------------------
2001 F-150 XLT 4x4 Off-Road, SuperCab, Flareside, Black[*] 4.6L Triton V8 HPI[*] 5 Speed / 3:55 Reg. Axle[*] Keyless[*] Premium Audio CD

Mods:[*] K&N Intake (Chopped Airbox)[*] Removed Elbow Silencer[*] 3" Cat-Back (No Muffler, Turn-Down)[*] Cranked Torsion Bars[*] APC XENON PLASMA Super Whites[*] '01 "L" Taillights[*] Bugshield[*] Bedliner[*] Ventshades[*] Taillight Covers (Slotted)[*] Removed Mudflaps[*] "Light Argent" 4x4 Off-Road Decals

Audio:[*] Clarion 6675[*] Rockford Fosgate 5x7's[*] Rockford Fosgate G360A2 Punch Amp[*] JL 12W3-D2 (Ported)[*]Viper 500 Alarm

Build Date: 8/23/00 (Kansas City Plant)

arobbins@mail.liberty.k12.mo.us

Old 06-05-2001, 11:02 PM
Jackal:
As far as I know, there is no H pipe, and if this is integral, then you're right on the money with that one. Can an H pipe be placed on a true dual system? To be honest, I don't know what an H pipe is

------------------
Black 98 F150-XL, 2WD, 4.6L Slappin Windsor Triton, 5spd.,
RegCab, Short WB, 3.08 rear, Air, Rear Slider, FM40 True Duals
Triton V8 Badges, Duraliner Bedliner, K&N, Ziebart, Castrol Syntec
HAWK Plus Bedcap, profile+ wrap-around bug deflector,
Blazer Neon-Blue projector fogs, custom look'n door cracks
Tinting: #4 RearCab & Bedcap Windows, #2 Cabside Windows

My Site

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Duals