Reccemendations on a Full Exhaust Setup!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001 | 02:24 AM
|
Question Reccemendations on a Full Exhaust Setup!!!

I am looking for an aggresive exhaust and headers setup. I own a 2000 Ford F-150 5.4L Supercab, Flairside 4x4. Looking to put an aftermarket exhaust and Headers on very soon. From what I gather from all of your posts is that everyone has their own opinion. I know that. However, I was concidering a DYNOMAX Ultra Flow with ceramic coated Headers, but I am hesitant because someone on this message board mentioned that they were cheap and are prone to rusting out very quickly in wet climates. I live in Virginia Beach. I don't know anyone here who has ever had a set. I went to their webpage and the sound files were impressive. That is all I have to go by. I was also considering Flows. I am looking for an eggresive sound but nothing that will bother the neighbors like glasspacks. A low bellowing tone at idle and an absolute Moster when you step on the throttle. Gibson just didn't sound aggresive enough for me. And the Borla pipes, from what I have heard, have that popping when you slow down? I want dual pipes out the back. Price is no object. Any suggestions on a full setup? Your comments and advice is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-10-2001 | 02:50 AM
www.flowmastersmuffler.com

[This message has been edited by fordtec2001 (edited 06-10-2001).]

Old 06-10-2001 | 07:01 AM
if price is no object, be sure you get stainless steel. i know flows and ravin are very loud systems in certain models.

------------------
2001 F-150 4X4 Supercab
XLT 139" WB style side
5.4L V8 3.55 LIMITED SLIP AXLE
MODS:
AIRAID FIPK
SUPERCHIP(FLIP CHIP)
ROLL & LOCK TONNEAU

being installed as of 5/22/01
GIBSON CAT BACK
GIBSON HEADER
REFLEXX COBRA HOOD
STREET SCENE GRILL
HOLLEY THUNDER SUPERCHARGE
PILLER GAUGES

Old 06-11-2001 | 12:11 AM
Cool

FMs and Ultra-flow welded are aluminized steel, Ultra-flow SS is stainless steel (they will last much longer than either). Both Ultra-flows are warranted for life against rusting out. Their parent company is the largest manufacturer of exhaust products in the world, and will be there when you need them. I agree that if cost is no object, to buy a SS system. The Borla and Bassani setups are nice SS systems.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL, RC, LB, 5.4L, 4R70W, 4.10LS,
Class III tow, Payload #3, & Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS, Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner w/Paintsaver & gas/wheel/spare locks,
K&N F.I.P.K. w/Outwears pre-filter, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back w/ 3" Y-pipe,
Hellwig front & rear anti-sway bars, Rancho RS 9000s,
Pirelli Scorpion Zero 275/60/16s, Mobil 1, K&N oil filter.

Old 06-11-2001 | 12:31 AM
Thumbs up

I've been looking for a while & while not convincedI'm gonna spend the money this is what I think i would get http://spintechmufflers.com/spintech/spintechindex.asp
Check the whole site read EVERYTHING then call the place . They also have an"X" pipe from the cats if you don't go true duals,that looks like the next best soloution to me.
My $.02.
WT

------------------
Ordered on 11/2/00:
VIN'd on 11/13
Built on 12/4
Picked up 12/28/00

4X4 Lariat
SCrew, Arizona
Beige, 5.4 Liter, Offroad
Pkg, Moonroof, Rear
slider, Capt's seats,
Side steps, Bed xtndr,6
CD, L S D 3.55

******* X2K Lid, Line-X Spray-in liner, Eventualy: Intake/Exhaust mods.

Old 06-16-2001 | 04:35 AM
Personal opinion......

Many of the louder sounding exhausts sound that way due to reduced flow resistance. Not enough backpressure, loss of low end. Finding a loud muffler that will preserve or hopefully enhance your low end might be tricky.

If you're looking for throaty, and don't mind the different look, check into Supertrapps. I've had them on a load of vehicles and they do work as well as they claim. Anybody who thinks that the backpressure doesn't affect performance has never played with one of these. They are packed, but I never experienced any of that "glass pack" sound like you get with the cherry bomb type packs. They last very well, even the regular steel lasted 8-10 years.

On my '95 I went with a Gibson, but I was looking for something more mellow. Although I'm happy with the system, this truck may end up with a Supertrapp as well. They do make repack kits that are fairly inexpensive if it gets too loud. Be warned that they take several weeks to break in. The first time I put one on I cranked the bike and it was almost stock quiet! That will change quickly though.

Know how a 5.0 Mustang with Flows sounds? There's a 5.0 with two Supertrapps here in the Beach area that will make those Flows sound like childs play.

Old 06-16-2001 | 04:48 AM
Yo Chief...
I personally can recommend the Borla Dual out the back...
I'v had them on for 3-4 months...and NEVER heard the poping sound when de-accelerating???
They are though NOT aggressive sounding as some other systems out there. (thats why I got them)
They are stainless steel, high quality.

Although, my first choice would of been the Bassini "Quiet Thunder" setup...
from headers to high flow cats...X-pipes, duals out the back...and since you said money is no object...about a grand from:
http://www.bassani.com/exhausts.htm

check it out...very sweet!

------------------
MY 01 4x4 SuperCrew
5.4L Triton S/C
  • XLT Package
  • MODS....
  • PowerAID T/B Spacer
  • AirRaid Kit
  • BORLA dual out the back, Phantoms Tips
  • SuperChip
  • Speed Grill (Nascar style)
  • Interior enhancements
  • White faced speed gauges
  • Race style pedals
  • Rhino sprayed on bed liner, RED to match truck
  • SONY CDX-CA605X Deck
  • POLK 5x7 3ways in front, Polk 2 ways in back.
  • 01 lightning tails/heads...corners on order)
  • Lightning Wheels
  • TOYO Proxes S/T 285/60/18"
  • Hellwig Anti-Sway bars on rear...front being manufactured?
  • Eldebrock ISA's all around, (on soon)

Wish no longer
  • SuperCharger..on order: install week of June 4-8th!

[url]http://home.rcsis.com/cart/index.htm[url]

Old 06-16-2001 | 09:46 AM
Wink

I'll ditto NoDrive55, Chief. If you're looking for an aggressive sound, then Borla is not for you. While I am extremely pleased with Borla's low, gurgling warble and distinctive sound, it is hardly obnoxious or loud. I purchased this system specifically for the longevity I would get from the SS construction, and respect for my neighbors peace (while still retaining enough growl for folks to notice I'm not running a stock system).
Signmaster also has an excellent point. Careful what you buy. If you get a system that's really aggressive, your trade-off may be loss of low end torque if you decrease back pressure too much.
I thought the Supertrapp recommendation was a good one. I've seen several on 'Vette's around here.

------------------
01 Black SuperCrew 5.4; Airaid, Borla Split Rear, Line-X, Matched Tint windows. Black. Black. All Black.
-------------------
Blaupunkt "Munchen" HU; JL Audio Stealthbox, DiamondAudio M551 components, Kicker Impulse coax (rear), RF250a and Kicker 350xi amps

Old 06-16-2001 | 02:52 PM
Question

Nosedive55
I just went to the site & I didn't see a system listed for the SCrew do you know if they have one ??
WT

Old 06-18-2001 | 09:10 AM
Zap
I have put on two Bassani ceramic coated complete systems. The build quality is first rate and everthing fits. No torches, pry bars, Moto tools necessary. You would probably need to order directbecause of the cab length. Most kits in dealer's hands are for std. cabs. You will hear it fire off with Bassani. It's fully SS headers to tips.

------------------
1993 Lightning,Complete Bassani,FoMoCo mass air conv,K&N,Bilsteins,pheno spacer, roller rockers
1994 Pace Car,full Bassani, K&N, 3.73, pulleys
2001 Lightning, box stock
2001 Saleen S281SC Speedster #613, box stock

Old 06-18-2001 | 11:26 AM
i dont have the supcrew but i do have a ravin z33 i opted to replace the stock muffler first with a glasspack and then swiched to a ravin z33 dual out which dumps over the axel which has a awsome idel and isnt teribally loud only time i notice it is pulling the car trailer at 75mph in drive otherwise some guys with other super cabs here in town have no mufflers but y pipe to dual exits which are much louder but i like the tone of mine better. but some days louder would be nice. but it is noticeable is very simular to the pack i had but better louder tone the pack wasn't all theat loud (30 inch thrush)

Quick Reply: Reccemendations on a Full Exhaust Setup!!!