flames out of the exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001 | 10:06 PM
|
guys, we are running out of ideas! we tried putting the plug closer to the exhaust tip so it would get more oxygen, we tried blowing air into the exhaust pipe, we tried drilling extra holes on the exhaust to see if more oxygen would enter...we are out of ideas! we definitely have enough fuel running through the exhaust, and we know the spark plug is lighting. we have gotten it to light a few times, but the flame only lasts about a second and then doesnt come back. any other ideas? help!!!

[This message has been edited by Donate54 (edited 06-19-2001).]

Old 06-19-2001 | 10:20 PM
You need to rig up a manual choke. Get the truck moving in gear, let off the gas while you pull the choke,light the spark plug. Though I've never seen it in person, that's my understanding of how it is done. I don't believe just having the engine running rich is enough. It needs to be really rich.

------------------
97 XLT S/C Long Bed 2wd, 4.6 Romeo, 4R70W trans, 208,000 miles

Old 06-19-2001 | 10:24 PM
Lightbulb

I help a Friend put one on a 55 merc. One thing we found out it is trial and error. Two thing that made a difference for us was a bigger tip exhaust. two and a half inch that we used. Also make sure that the spark is very good.use a saprate ingition for the plug and make it hot. When we flame it up we rev up the motor and pull the chock out it almost will kill the motor and then turn on the spark plugs, just before the motor stops push the chock in and rev it up.Propane is alot easer but not as cool looking. Also the spark plugs are about one to two inch from the end. If this does not help I will try to give you some more hints. It took use about three weeks just to get a little flame now we shut them off and it looks like a cannon going off. Also watch out for the police it is against the law in ILL and many other.
Good luck

Old 06-20-2001 | 10:04 PM
Well I guess I've heard of this mostly using v-8 engines. My understanding is that you have to have the ability to redirect the spark from one of the cylinders directly to your plug in the tailpipe. This way the cylinder you rob or borrow the spark from is basicaly like an air compressor cylinder only it is pulling in a healthy blast of fuel as well and pushing this nice shot of atomized fuel & fresh air straight down the pipe at your plug. A v-8 can spare a cylinder or two especially when just sitting around & showing off. You would have to play with it a bit throttling the peddle & experimenting for your best flame. I don't know what type of switch you would use but I hope you get what I'm saying. Like on a typical old distributer you would route a plug wire from the cap to a switch in the car that would allow you to select weather you were firing normaly to that cylinder or re-routing the spark to the tail pipe.
Hope this helps.

Old 07-02-2001 | 08:08 PM
|
ok, we finally figured out how to do it! last weekend we went to a car show and met up with a guy that has flames coming out of his exhaust and we asked him how to do it. turns out you need a model A ford ignition coil instead of a regular coil (he explained to us why, but i dont remember the reason. now, does anyone have any idea where i can find a ford "model A" coil????? the guy we talked to says you can get them in the internet, but he couldnt remember where...anyone know??? thanks!

Old 07-04-2001 | 08:39 AM
I sure hope he doesn't mean the Model A, circa 1903 or so. It was one of ford's first attempt, had two cylinders proucing 8 HP. If ignition coil (if it even had one) can be found from that, it'd surely be a collector's item.

There was another Model A that apparently ran from '28 to '31. Check this website out...

http://www.dmafc.com/

Quick Reply: flames out of the exhaust