Y-Pipe on a 98 5.4 expy...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001 | 11:15 AM
|
Question Y-Pipe on a 98 5.4 expy...

I have noticed alot of post about swapping out the Y-Pipe since the stock one is so bad. I was planning on doing this when I bought my catback. I was under the truck this weekend and I notice that the stock one looked pretty good. It didn't look like how many of you are describing. I keep hearing that the stock one apears to have the driverside pipe just running into the side of the passangerside pipe. Mine looks like a nice smooth transition with an O2 sensor installed in it. It also apears to be a fairly good size. Maybe not quite 3 inch, maybe 2 3/4? It is definitly bigger than the tail pipe. Is the y different on different years or different engine sizes? Mine is a 98 5.4 in an expedition.

------------------
98 E.B. Expedition - Airaid, Exhaust and Superchip coming soon.
89 Mustang LX - Novi supercharged, A4 block, all the go fast goodies.

Old 06-25-2001 | 03:02 PM
I can't be sure, but on my Y, there is what looks like a "cover" over the actual pipe. I say this because of the the "seam" that appears to go around the whole thing.

My guess is that under this cover, there is just standard exhaust pipe welded to make the Y. So the pass side one is the continuous one and the driver side just gets welded to it. They punch a hole in the pass side that is actually smaller then the pipe, then just weld the drivers side to it. Then cover it up with a fancy cover to hide this.

Remember, I'm just guessing at this because of what I have read here too.

Old 06-25-2001 | 03:33 PM
Thumbs up

That's exactly right. It looks like a good setup from the outside...wait till you get a peek inside.

-AR

------------------
2001 F-150 XLT 4x4 Off-Road, SuperCab, Flareside, Black[*] 4.6L Triton V8 HPI[*] 5 Speed / 3:55 Reg. Axle[*] Keyless[*] Premium Audio CD

Mods:[*] K&N Intake (Chopped Airbox)[*] Removed Elbow Silencer[*] Flowmaster "Y" Pipe[*] 3" Cat-Back (No Muffler, Turn-Down)[*] Cranked Torsion Bars[*] APC XENON PLASMA Super Whites[*] '01 "L" Taillights[*] Bugshield[*] Bedliner[*] Ventshades[*] Removed Mudflaps[*] "Light Argent" 4x4 Off-Road Decals

Audio:[*] Clarion 6675[*] Rockford Fosgate 5x7's[*] Rockford Fosgate G360A2 Punch Amp[*] JL 12W3-D2 (Ported)[*]Viper 500ESP Alarm

Build Date: 8/23/00 (Kansas City Plant)

Old 06-25-2001 | 05:15 PM
|
Thumbs up

Thanks guys. I hadn't heard about this cover, before when people were describing it. I'll definitly get the Y-Pipe when I do my catback. Thinking about getting the Magnaflow, since the Gibson seems like it will be too quiet and flowmaster would be too loud. Thanks again.

------------------
98 E.B. Expedition - Airaid, Exhaust and Superchip coming soon.
89 Mustang LX - Novi supercharged, A4 block, all the go fast goodies.

Old 06-30-2001 | 08:26 AM
Smile

BoostRetard:

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
1997 F150 reg cab, flareside
4.6 5spd 2wd 3.08
Steeda pulleys
Jacobs DIS
Accel coil packs
K&N FIPK
Airaid poweraid