Need some help on exhaust!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2001, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some help on exhaust!!

I need some exhaust help! I have a new 2001 SuperCrew 5.4 4X4. I would like an exhaust that sounds good and full, but not like a dragster. Any suggestions???? I am not mechanically inclined so I know when to ask for help!
Thanks

Old 07-01-2001, 12:41 AM
Thumbs up

Welcome to the boards.

I have the Gibson Swept Side on my Expy. CLick on the link at the bottom of my sig.

I'd advise reading on their website too. I have a couple of recordings there too, but I have to say, this thing sounds better at idle now that when I first installed it. At first it sounded stock just about. Now it sounds great. It has a old "big block" rumble, but not loud. Great system for power too.

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
-->Follow Me...<--

Old 07-01-2001, 01:11 AM
I too have a Gibson Sweptside..
Then I pulled it off & went to flowmaster delta flow 50's with dual out the back.
The sound was nice & throaty.
I did'nt loose to much low end torque with the flowmaster until I tried to pull a heavy trailer then I really noticed a drop in the pulling torque over the Gibson.I pull equiptment quite a bit so I switched it back to my Gibson sweptside I would recommend the gibson Much better for low end & pulling power.(it is a quiet system though)Just my opinion though.I also heard that you could flip the gibson around & it would be a little louder but I don't know how true that is.There are lot's of different system's out there & alot of opinion's to go with the system's.Good luck & let me know if I can help any further.
Mike

------------------
2001 Supercrew XLT 4X4
BLACK W/DARK GRAPHITE
5.4 EFI V8
17" 10 SPOKE'S
3.55 LIMITED SLIP
ENGINE BLOCK HEATER
SKID PLATE'S
POWER MOONROOF
SLIDING REAR WDW.
TRAILER TOW PKG.
BED EXTENDER
CLOTH CAPTAIN'S CHAIR'S
STAINLESS STEP BAR'S
GIBSON SWEPTSIDE
WINDOW TINT
VENT VISOR'S
LINE-X-BED LINER
FORD MOLDED MUD FLAP'S
K&N FILTER
HUSKY FLOOR LINER'S
HEADLIGHT/FOG SWITCH MOD.
BFG 265/70/17 AT/KO
STAMPEDE BUG SHIELD
WEATHERTEC WDW. VISOR'S

Old 07-01-2001, 02:47 AM
Cool

I have the Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 series SI/DO and I have been very happy with it. No experience pulling a load besides my waverunners, though. I really like the sound- low and rumbly, not too loud, not too soft, and minimal cab drone.

------------------
1997 F-150 XLT 4x2 SC 4.6L
  • 6" ProComp Stage II Pro-Ride Lift
  • 35" ProComp AT Tires
  • American Racing Baja 16x8 Wheels
  • Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flow with 3.5"x22" Chrome Slash Cut Tips
  • Kicker 8" Subwoofer
  • 200 Watt Amp
Future Mods:
-4.56 Gears
-3" PA Body Lift
-Stull Billet Grille
-Clear Corner Lenses
-Euro Taillights

Old 07-01-2001, 03:28 AM
Hey carterjustice, I would have to whole heartedly agree with offroad guy and FALLSCREW, I have a Flowmaster(not sure which series but I think its the 40 series)on my, and I apologize, Dodge dakota with a 5.2L and it sounds great and not really loud in the cab of the truck. Gibsons are good as well but I'd have to say go with Flowmaster.
John

Old 07-01-2001, 08:24 AM
Angry

You might want to consider Dynomax UltraFlow. I don't know which "series" UltraFlow was compared to, but in all the testing that I read, Dynomax UltraFlow beat Flowmaster...beat Borla too, that's why I picked Dynomax. Hope that helps.

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat

4.6 Liter, 3.55 Limited Slip, Dynomax UltraFlow cat-back w/ single 3" exit, K&N Gen II FIPK, Superchip

Old 07-04-2001, 10:46 AM
exhaust

Hey carterjustice; Just a thought.Have you tried Midas muffler shop? they carry the Ravin performance mufflers,I have the Z55si/do on my F150 4.6L and they sound great. The price seems to vary from state to state so youll have to call around for a good price installed. i live in western Pa. and mine cost 326.oo out the door.This also included crome tips. Now I have JBA Headers on also so I dont know if theres a lost of low end torque. But the sound is very Mustang I know you will love it. Give them a call.. Good luck OLDGRAY

Old 07-04-2001, 11:01 AM
Based on what I've read on these boards over the last 15 months, if you change your exhaust and DON'T change the "Y" pipe, all you get is a louder sound. I first had a Magna-Flow, which sounded nice, but no change in performance. Last fall, I got caught up in all the Ravin hype and had one installed. Again, no change, except for low end loss. As of today 7/4/01, my "Y" pipe is on order from racerpartswholesale. I will report results after I have it installed.

Mark

Old 07-04-2001, 02:39 PM
Cool

I beg of you. Please look into the Spintech muffler systems. They come with an "X" pipe to replace the "Y" that so desperately needs replacing. Spintech has many options to make a sound to your taste. http://www.spintechmufflers.com is the web site. I have one on my '00 Expedition and what a difference. I also have them on a Sprintcar that I crewchief. Muffler to Muffler there is no comparison.

Quick Reply: Need some help on exhaust!!