High flow cats- worth it ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003 | 03:46 PM
|
High flow cats- worth it ??

Hey guys, I'm looking for opinions b/c I keep getting conflicting info. I have a 01 Screw with the 5.4 and it has headers, pulleys, intake,Superchip and Ravin Z-33 si/do dual exhaust. I always liked sound it had but no want it sound a even more aggressive. I have been told hi flow cats would be the step to take (like Magnaflows) I have called 2 muffler places that are Magnaflow dealers and they are telling me its not worth it b/c they dont really do much and that the stock cat is more durable anyway. I think theyre just trying to get me to buy a new setup from them (not happening)

I checked with a few other members and they had great info. , now getting mass input to my dilemma. The Ravin tech people even said that the Ford truck has 4 cats that restrict sound and moving to hi flow would certainly make it sound better Let me know what you guys think, thanks !

Old 04-09-2003 | 06:59 PM
Cool

HI!... I went from the 4 stock cats to 2 high flow S/S MAGNAFLOW cats. Your exhaust tone will get a bit louder. You will gain a bit of power all the way through the powerband. My stock cats were plugged so this was the next step for me. I'm very happy with the MAGNAFLOW high flow cats. Magnaflow is one of the only after market cats out there that will not set off a SES light when going from 4 to 2 cats. I got all my MAGNAFLOW stuff from MIKE TROYER at PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS.

Old 04-09-2003 | 07:02 PM
Interesting that you brought that up I myself have also considered the "HIGH FLOW" cats but seeing how there are 4 of them this coul dget very expensive. With saying that I have also been told by many shops including friend that the stock cats actaully flow really good and the high flows do not flow any more and are usaully of lesser quality the the stock cats. Now I do not know for sure but have just given the info that has been relayed to me by many shops.

Richard D.

WHILE YOUR HERE CHECK OUT MY GALLERY:
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2479

Old 04-09-2003 | 11:31 PM
I also have a 01 SCrew. I've been wanted to put a new cat-back on so I stopped by the local Munro Muffler shop. The guy there told me the same thing. The OE system is good enough and he's had several people come back to him wanting to put the OE setup back on their trucks. Not sure what to do now.

Old 04-09-2003 | 11:41 PM
pudidog we were not talking about a Cat-Back systems but were in fact talking about the Catylitic Converters which are completely differant. If someone told you that the stock exhaust system is better than a performance Cat-Back Exhuast System then you need to stay away from that shop they are not very knowlgeable.

Richard D.

Old 04-10-2003 | 07:09 AM
APT
The Lightning owners seem to get some gains by replacing their cats with high flow ones. I don't know how they would affect a mostly stock non-FI motor, though.

Old 04-10-2003 | 08:51 PM
I myself have talked to several people including Mike Troyer, about the Hi-flow Cats from Magnaflow. The fact that the 2nd cat is or can be left off is part true. It's purpose is to clean up the leftovers from the 1st cat, if the 1st is not doing its job. Sorta like an insurance. If the catalytic system is working as designed the 2nd cat CAN be left off.
Going to a single cat on each bank will definately improve flow cause there is half the restriction. I need some Very solid proof from say Neal, in order to push more tokens into my mobile slot machine!

Old 04-10-2003 | 09:00 PM
Question

HUH?????????

Old 04-10-2003 | 09:01 PM
neal....e-mail me your address

Old 04-10-2003 | 09:35 PM
BOSS LARIAT I was looking thru your gallery and have a few questions for you if you don't mind. First there is a pic that says "Color my engine" I see what looks like a radiator cap coming thru the top plastic rad. cover could you tell me what that is? Then what kind of paint did you use to paint all your plastic pieces? Is the Magnacharger intercooled and does it require any type of computer up[grde to compesate for detonation or if it does have an intercooler does that take care of the problem? Did you have to tap into the oil pan for lubrication or the supercharger?

Thanks,
Richard D.

Old 04-10-2003 | 10:10 PM
Great looking truck Richard P, that radiator cap is indeed a radiator cap for the intercooler supply tank. Yes , the magnacharger comes with an inter-cooler.
A body shop friend painted the engine parts over a year ago. I would imagine he used a flex agent w the paint so it would bond and not crack.
I contacted Mike Troyer @ Superchips. We discussed my needs and he hooked me up with a flip-chip.Tow package up-grade on the 1st side and Performance up-grade on the B-side.
No oil lines were required in this install.
Do a search on "Getting ready to install Magnacharger". That was my step by step install. Any time,ask me about the Blower i'll do my best to help. Go for it!!

Old 04-11-2003 | 11:05 AM
BOSS does the intercooler also tie into the regular cooling system or is it it's own seperate deal with no connection to the radiator?

Thanks,
Richard D.

And thanks for the compliment on my truck.

Old 04-12-2003 | 12:53 AM
Richard P, the Magmacharger's intercooler is added on and is separate from the stock cooling system.

Old 04-12-2003 | 01:48 PM
By the way it's a D not a P . P is somehitng I do in the bathroom.

Richard D.

Old 04-13-2003 | 11:37 PM
Thumbs up

LOL

Quick Reply: High flow cats- worth it ??