cat problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003 | 02:23 PM
|
Question cat problem

I have a 95 F150 std cab xlt 2wd,I got it from a ex co-worker,what i want to know is how do I tell if my cat has been removed...it has duals on it and it is very very loud...with bad gas mileage.Recently it just keeps cutting out on me....is this maybe related to not having a cat installed

Old 04-13-2003 | 09:57 PM
The cat is an emissions device that resembles a small oval type muffler. It's more towards the front on the engine on the exhaust, under the truck. If you see just pipes from the manifold all the way back to the muffler then yes, your cat(s) have been removed. If not, you will see them on the exhaust. Not having cat(s) will contribute to the bad mileage. When the cat is removed from a computerized fuel injected vehicle, the computer doesn't know it but the 02 sensor will pick it up and send a diff signal to computer. I did this little ordeal on my previous 91 F150 and it ran ok but not right and the mileage went to hell.

As far as it cutting out, I have never heard of the cats being removed have some relavnce of the truck cutting out. Something the computer is sensing or the fuel, ignition is cutting off. This is very hard to judge what it is w/o actually seeing the truck in person. Hope this can help you out,,,,,,91

Last edited by f-150_91; 04-13-2003 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply: cat problem