exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2003, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust questions

Wanting to do a stock exhaust system replacement...My muffler guy says he can do it by cutting it out from just in front of the muffler (assumes he means to leave the stock "y") and replacing the rest of the stuff back...

Thinking about single inlet muffler with a dual outlet so I can get a dual system that runs a pipe back and on each side of the spare with a tip on each end...

Questions:

What size muffler for good rumbly sound?...4x9x18 or 5x8x18?...What difference does size and length of muffler make?
What about pipe size?...Should I go with a 2.5" inlet and 3.0" outlets on the muffler?
What about tip sizes?...Any difference by doing up in size on the tips?

I am a newbie when it comes to exhausts and will greatly appreciate any information you guys can pass on...Am leaning towards the magnaflow muffler after reading some of the posts and talking to my muffler guy...

I have an '01 Supercrew with the 5.4L V8....I am interesting in a good, deep throaty rumble (without a tinny or resonating sound) and maybe some performance increase...

Thanks

Old 04-30-2003, 10:34 PM
3" inlet dual 21/2" outlets to 3" tips..the longer the tips the more 'gargle' to the sound...18 " are fine...muffler size?..18 to 20 " will mellow the sound enough...and if you consider flows the series 40 #430402 is what you'll want

Old 05-01-2003, 12:13 AM
flowmaster 40 series if you want a lot of inside sound, or flowmaster 50 series delta flow if you tow or dont want as loud of noise inside... check out www.flowmastermufflers.com

Quick Reply: exhaust questions