Need Exhaust Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003 | 01:43 PM
|
Need Exhaust Advice

Hi All,
I'm new to this site so please excuse me if this has has been asked before. I recently got a 2000 F-150 Supercab with the 4.2L V-6. I really like this truck but would like to add a little noise to the exhaust system. I don't want it loud in the cab, but a little noise would be fine. I have read many of the past postings (this site really is a great source of info) and have looked into Magnaflow, Flowmaster, Gibson, and Dynomax systems but just keep getting more and more confused.
It seems Flowmaster and Magnaflow don't make the SI/DO systems for the 4.2L. Gibson makes one SI/DO that fits the V-6 and both V-8's. Dynomax makes only a SI/SO system.
My questions are: The Gibson is a 2.5" in with 2.5" duals out for all motors. Is this size really the best for the V-6. Does one size really fit all? I mean will I give up any low end power by using this system. The Dynomax site shows the 4.2L system with 3" in and 3" out - that seems way too big. Lastly, I am leaning towards picking out a good SI/DO muffler and taking it in to a muffler shop to have a system made up. Any suggestions on what size pipes I should ask for? From what I've read here 2.5" in, 2.25" duals out seems about right. I don't mind if I don't pick up any power, but I don't want to loose any either. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 05-14-2003 | 06:52 AM
APT
Re: Need Exhaust Advice

Originally posted by DStarMoto
...I am leaning towards picking out a good SI/DO muffler and taking it in to a muffler shop to have a system made up.
That is the best route for you if you want duals on a V6. 2.5" in and 2 or 2.25" for the tail pipes. No compant makes a dual kit that I recommend for V6's. 2.5" is too large.

Quick Reply: Need Exhaust Advice