Removing the Cats

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 03:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing the Cats

Ok, where i live, emissions are not required. I am considering removing the cats mainly just for exhaust sound reasons. I found a part on Jegs that is meant for 96-03 mustangs w/o cats. It "filters" out the error code coming from the second O2 sensor so that a check engine light does not appear. Does anybody know if this will work with our F150s? Heres the link:
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...71&prmenbr=361

Thanks for your help!

- Rick -

Old 05-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks real similar to the Casper Electronics MIL eliminators.

These are just for the second set of O2 sensors. not the first set.

Sound wise I don't know how much you will gain with removing the second set of cats. It sounds like a whole lot of work for little gain in the sound department ( as well as the perf dept ).

If you are going to go to the trouble of redoing the xhst to remove the second set of cats, you might as well do the long tube headers and high flow cats. Then do a X pipe with the straights that you are looking at.
Might as well get some performance gain out of all that work.

Check where you got the chip from on the reburn needed for the long tube headers.

Old 05-30-2003, 09:11 PM
I was also planning on welding in a 40series Flowmaster muffler to my stock pipes. Im on a very limited budget right now, but with no cats and a better muffler, it should sound awesome. My friend has a v6 Firebird with no cats and an 80 series delta flow catback, and it sounds like a v8 with good exhaust!

I was wondering however, if the product i listed that was on Jegs, if it comes with one or two of those. I would need two, but at 60 bucks a piece, i dun think so, but if 60 for two harnesses, i would go for it.

My friend at work said i might want to go ahead and remove the cats, and see if i would even need the O2 harnesses. Jegs says that when the O2 sensors cause a CEL, the computer will adjust the timing and what not. But if i get a Superchip, the chip is in control of all that right?

Thanks again!

- Rick -

Old 05-30-2003, 10:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rick,

You need the MIL eliminators to stop the timming and fuel delivery from getting changed.
With or without a chip, the limp home mode is still active. That is part of how a chip does not wreck an engine, it does not bypass limp home mode. Stock without a CEL is going to run better then a truck with a CEL and a chip.

I don't know how BBK packages them, Casper is per MIL Eliminator.

If you are moving the second set of cats and welding in SS pipe, you might as well put in the MIL eliminators. I think it is a 95% chance within 2 drive cycles that a MIL will be set, then it is going to run worse then it did with both sets of cats in place.
The PCM checks the second set of O2 sensors and will set a code for HO2S 22 and 12 with the cats missing.

Good luck, lot of work to be done, bending the SS pipe and welding it in place of the cats is not a minor feat, then add to this, are you putting in SI/SO mufflers on each dump without a X pipe, or are you putting the stock (crap) Y pipe back in after all this.
Might want to wait and see what else gets posted, putting the stock Y pipe back in is kind of silly after going to all this work.

Old 06-01-2003, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the informative response SSCULLY!

What i am planning on doing is taking out all the cats if possible, and then weld in a single 40 series muffler onto the stock pipes. My truck came stock with Roush side exhaust tips, and i really want to keep those tips. The tips are dual but have a y pipe right behind the tips, so i would have to keep the tips on one side without some big mods to the tips. Im still saving money for the chip, efans, and pulleys, so thats why this is a cheap project for now.

Thanks again!

- Rick -

Old 06-02-2003, 03:20 PM
I just put an x pipe an dual 40 series flowmasters on my NASCAR truck an dumped them. It sounds really good. I had thought about getting rid of the cats but it's more trouble than it's worth. If any thing like sscully said put headers and hi flow cats on and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Removing the Cats