Reason Ford Trucks not as loud as Dodge and Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003 | 04:21 PM
|
Exclamation Reason Ford Trucks not as loud as Dodge and Chevy

Guys,

I was talking with someone today at a Truck Performance shop about cat-backs and mufflers and what I should do with my new truck. I asked him why the Fords (because I've owned 6 of them) always sounded quieter then the Dodge (Brother has) and Chevy's I've heard with the same setup.

He explained to me that Ford has two inline Resonators along with the Catalitic Converter which rob the sound from the engine. He then said I could have a custom muffler shop chop off the resonators and replace with pipe and the sound would then be comparable to the Dodge and Chevy trucks because Ford is the only one of the three that puts the sound resonators on their vehicles.

Has anyone else heard this? It truely makes since as I had a 2001 F-150 w/ 4.6 and went to the same place my bro took his dodge got the same setup single inlet dual outlet flowmaster 40 series muffle with pipes straight out with 3.5" tips and his sounded twice as loud and twice as mean as my Ford!

Now he has a Hemi Dodge and it sounds mean stock where as my New 03 Ford STX 5.4 Ext Cab Flairside is just as quit as can be!

I want the LOUDER TRUCK!!!! hehe

I want the Dodge and Chevy drivers saying That Ford Sounds Bada$$!!!!

It looks like this is the way to my OUR FORDS SOUND GOOD!!!!

Adam

Old 06-06-2003 | 12:50 AM
The newer F-150's have four catalytic converters, hence the lack of sound. It's against federal law to mess with the cats. for five years or until they need to be replaced; however, some places are more strict than others in enforcing the law. After five years (or if you feel daring) you can replace the four stock cats. with just two Magnaflow stainless steel hi-flow cats. These are the only aftermarket cats. that reportedly don't set off the "check engine" light. If you do this mod. you will most likely get the same effect as running straight pipe, but you will still pass emission's tests.

Some go with flowmaster 40 series mufflers, which are boarderline irritating as far as sound and resonance. I will be switching to the Magnaflow system soon. I'm getting tired of the noise!

Anyway, good luck!

Last edited by mf150; 06-06-2003 at 01:15 AM.
Old 06-06-2003 | 01:18 PM
Highflows are the only way to go if you want your truck to sound mean and still pass emissions. Some single chamber Flowmasters or Dynomax Race Bullets and that truck will roar.

Old 06-08-2003 | 10:10 PM
I asked a buddy of mine who owns a ‘99 Z-71 with true dual straight pipes why his are louder than anther buddy of mine with an ‘02 Z-71 with y-pipe straight pipes. He said was it was because of new emission standards that chevy had put in to effect that kept him from putting true duals on his truck. Also he has the old 5.7 instead of the 5.3, not sure if that has much to do with but probably does. So... while checking the piping under my ’97 f150 I noticed that the stock exhaust system prevented me from putting true dual pipes on it. My friend’s truck with true duals will pop and crack at about 3500 to 4000 rpm, while my friend with y-pipe will barely pop and mostly just burlbles on the way down.
So I guess what I’m trying to say is that if you want it really loud try to set it up with true duals.
BTW, not to sure on the exhaust system of a dodge, it could be that the truck has a 5.9L engine or the new HEMI.

Old 06-10-2003 | 01:17 PM
Talking

It's because Dodge and Chevys are all "BUBBA" trucks!!

You know the sound I'm talking about, you hear them coming a mile away. I always say, "here comes a POS Dodge or Chevy", and sure enough, that's what rattles by.........

I've heard my share of "BUBBA" Fords too, but sound is a very individual thing and what sounds good to one sounds like crap to another.......

Old 06-10-2003 | 03:36 PM
|
Originally posted by MitchF150
You know the sound I'm talking about, you hear them coming a mile away. I always say, "here comes a POS Dodge or Chevy", and sure enough, that's what rattles by.........
HEHEHEHEHE

I know exactly what you mean! But I thought the rattling sound coming from em was rods knocking!!!!

Adam

Old 06-10-2003 | 07:26 PM
if you want true duels on a new f-150 all you have to do is cut the y-pipe just before the Y and weld of each side and run it down to muffles you dont even affect the cats. we did it to a buddies 02 screw and ran them back in to a magnaflow x-pipe muffler, dont remember the name of it but its got to intlets and two outlets and has a built in x-pipe inside foe balancing out the two side of exhaust.

I'm fixing to do mine with a x-pipe just after the i start to weild the two pipes toward the back and run them into 2 spintech mufflers. very aggresive sound but not a crusing resinater like a flow master.

My e-mail is Randy86306@attbi.com if you want a diagram of how to do this

Old 06-11-2003 | 01:51 PM
Dodge and Chevy make 'em loud on purpose.... it drowns out the sqeaks and rattles...

Old 06-11-2003 | 03:26 PM
I work at the local exhaust shop here in town. Yea Emissions have something to do with it but I don't think that's the main reasons why.

Every car manufactuerer is different in 1 way or another. Engines, tranny's and all are diff. IMHO, I think it's all the way the engine is setup, exhaust design and how well it is designed. Then you get into little things like, angle of the pistons in the block have something to do with sound, head work, and intake setup.

Every muffler has it's own design whether it's a **** poor desgin or something more high line like Flowmaster or Magnaflow. Now I"m not gonna start a debate to whether what's the best muffler design, best intake setup and all that garbage.

High Flow cats do increase sound level alittle and do help out with performance but just like with every other peformance setup you have to find th at right balance between freeing enough and still get good power and not loose your low end. FReeing up enough and freeing up too much is 2 diff things. Unless your just looking for sound.

Dodges, Chevy's, and Ford ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,all diferent and I think bottom line is how it's all setup and the design of it. JMO $.02,,,,,91

Quick Reply: Reason Ford Trucks not as loud as Dodge and Chevy