What will Headers do for me???

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003 | 02:41 PM
|
What will Headers do for me???

All,
I am a proud owner of a 2000 Flareside 5.4L... I have put on a set of DymoMax Ultraflow SI/DO. Love the exhaust! However, I was considering putting on a set of DynoMax Ceramic Coated Headers and replacing the stock Cats with thier "High Flow" Cats. What type of results will I expect to get from this modification. Will it increase top end, How will it sound, Is it worth the money, etc.... Any suggestions??? I was also looking at the Superchips, and a FIPK just to follow. Thanks for your replies.

Old 06-09-2003 | 07:29 PM
Unreal,

I have the mods you are asking about here. I would STRONGLY recommend that you get the Chip and FIPK before the headers. You'll get a lot more out of these two mods than you will the headers. Don't get me wrong, headers are great but just a ways down the list.

Old 06-09-2003 | 08:58 PM
|
What type of improvements did you see once you put your headers on. I was actually considering doing all three at once. Actually, Air Force One FIPK, Superchip, Electric Fan, and Headers all at once.

Did you headers change your exhaust Tone? I am looking for more sound than performance from the headers.

Old 06-09-2003 | 09:10 PM
I'm one of those guys who can only tell you seat of the pants feel. I don't have a before and after dyno sheet for the headers. The headers HELPED, others will tell you that they don't. Don't believe them. If you're doing all these things at the same time then by all means, go for it. I would still probably suggest that you look at underdrive pulleys either along with all the mods or before the headers. I put the JBA shorty headers on mine and to tell you that it has a great rumble to it would be a lie. I think that most on this board who have played with their exhaust will tell you, that in order to get some noise out of these systems, you have to get rid of the factory convertors and put a set of high flow cats in place of the 4 originals. I've got JBA's headers and cat back system. It sounds good under load or WOT but is pretty tame relatively speaking.

Old 06-09-2003 | 09:24 PM
|
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look at other options right now over the headers. I too was considering the underdrive pulleys too, just didn't think about it in my last post. I was also considering removing the 4 factory cats and going with the DynoMax high flow cats.

So I will get a deeper rumble installing high flow cats? That is definitely what I want to do then.

My truck has a very rich low rumble right now. Dont want to get rid of my Dynomax Ultraflows, just want it to hit a little harder. That is why I was considering headers. Thanks again.

Old 06-09-2003 | 10:02 PM
HI!... Unreal_VA : If your going to go through the trouble of installing headers and high flow cats on your 5.4 then don't waste your time with shorty headers. Get yourself a set of S/S JDM/KOOKS long tube headers and MAGNAFLOW S/S high flow cats. I had some ported JBA shorty's on my 5.4 before and I can tell you that the long tubes blow them away in performance and ease of installation. Here's a few pics of my set-up that I designed and put together for my reg-cab, 5.4. This in my opinion is the best exhaust system you can currently put together for our trucks.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...-793-29799.jpg
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...-793-29796.jpg

Check out my gallery for detailed pics.

Old 06-09-2003 | 10:11 PM
|
Hi Neal,
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely take your word on this. I have limited experience with motors, or what is best. I just had my unexperienced heart set on the dynomax only because I have the Ultra flow SI/DO muffler. I have about 2k to put aftermarket parts in my baby. I plan to do as much as I can with that and get the most bang for my buck!!! What is your advice?

I am divorced now so it is time to have some fun with my new favorite little lady!!!

Old 06-11-2003 | 01:38 AM
If you have two grand, I'd check out one of Mike Troyer's performance packages at : www.troyerperformance.com

You'll be spending about all your money with the exhaust Neal has, if not more. But, if you are a performance perfectionist, it doesn't get any better than what Neal "The HP Freak" has.

You could also get ASP underdirve pulleys in addition to the other things you mentioned above. They are a great mod that you can feel in acceleration.

Old 06-19-2003 | 10:05 PM
Any timeslips yet, Neal?

I picked up six tenths in the eighth mile on my cobra with the hooker longtubes and slicks (most of gain was from slicks), but I am still curious as to what they would do for my truck.

Old 06-22-2003 | 02:06 AM
Neal -

Did you have to modify anything to make those longtubes fit? I was thinking about getting some after I get my catback done, but all I saw was shorty headers, and I didn't want to pay that much to get something that wasn't overly better than stock. I was going to run without cats and use mil eliminators, so I assume you have to cut the cats off and use whats left to connect to the headers, so that wouldn't be an issue.However, would I have to do anything else to get it done? And how much does a pair of longtubes run for? Grazi.

- Goose

Old 06-22-2003 | 09:56 AM
He is running Hi-Flow cats on his truck.

Old 06-22-2003 | 03:20 PM
Cool

HI!... Goose52 : I paid $875.00(U.S) for my stainless steel JDM/KOOKS long tube headers. I then had them CERAMIC COATED inside and out. You don't have to, but I removed all my CAT heat shields for a cleaner look. Most of them were damaged anyway. I didn't use anything from my old exhaust set-up. I completely fabricated the whole exhaust system from scratck using all S/S tubing, mufflers, cats, "X" pipe, tips and clamps. I would suggest that if your going to go with LT's then t custom fabricate up your own system after the headers. It's much easier this way and you get a nice cleaner look.

Old 06-22-2003 | 04:17 PM
Neal,
Where did you pay $875 for your kooks headers?

I am also interested in some long tube headers.

How much HP do you think the headers produced alone?

Old 06-22-2003 | 08:27 PM
Cool

HI!... I got the JDM/KOOKS lt's from MIKE TROYER at PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS.

Old 06-22-2003 | 08:33 PM
are there any other long tubes out there that can fit an f-150, or is jdm it? and was 875 the cheapest kind you can get? im annoyed that all these mustang headers start at 500 and the cheapest i hear for my truck is over 800.

- Goose

Quick Reply: What will Headers do for me???