To all the Magnaflow experts

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003 | 06:59 PM
|
Question To all the Magnaflow experts

I am trying to install a SI/DO system on my '02 SCrew and was wondering if any of you had done the same? What muffler size would give me more sound than the muffler included in the 15609 system?? Again, I'm looking to do a SI/DO with a sound level that is well above stock (while still keeping/increasing the torque and HP). How would a SI/DO sound with a 5x8x14 Magnaflow muffler? Pretty loud? How about a 5x8x18? Would my performance dip with either? Your inputs are appreciated. Thanks.

-Mike

Old 06-18-2003 | 10:49 PM
Lightbulb

DD976;

First my background so you know where the advice is coming from. I have over 45 years in the exhaust business and probably install at least two performance systems a day on F 150s. Most of my work is performance oriented.

Now for my advice. Being that you have an OBDII emissions system on your truck my advice would be to run a muffler with at least 2 chambers to trick the last oxygen sensor. Do not run a straight through muffler or you will eventually trigger an emissions light which in turn will cause a runability problem. For deep tone run a Flowmaster 3" in with dual outlets of at least 2 1/4" each. You may want to choose a 50 series or better if you want to avoid cab drone.

Good luck and may your pipe dreams come true!

Old 06-18-2003 | 10:53 PM
I haven't really heard of the above mentioned happening. If the O2 sennsors fail, just buy a new one.

Old 06-21-2003 | 03:55 PM
on my pervious truck ('99 SCab 5.4 4x4) I had a SI/DO glasspack with duals installed by a local individual muffler shop. The glasspack was only about 16-18" long...you could see all the way through it.

I felt like I lost a little bit of low end torque, but the high RPM power was greatly improved. Sounded fantastic and had no oxygen sensor problems, but perhaps the '99 had no second sensor to fool.

I am looking for exactly the same result as you are DD....so I will be watching this thread close. Hope someone has a good answer!

Old 06-21-2003 | 10:35 PM
Uh the above thing about the sensors is all wrong....get the 14" it will be louder. Straight through is the only way. I had a Flow and now I have a Magna and I will never ever go back. Take it form experience get the Magna.

Old 06-22-2003 | 12:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

DD-976,
The 14" are above stock noise level, but are nowhere near straights. If you are hooked on a DO, that is cool, if you don't have a specific dump requirement, and just want to remove backpressure ( not to be confused with TQ that is the old wives tail ) you could look to a Magnaflow SI/SO and put it in place of the stock mufler, with a short makeup pipe. Add some sound and tone, remove some backpressure.

My 2 cents on the other part :
Sounds like the last actual muffler shop I shopped at before I had a speed shop install my Bassani Duals.
Waxing petic about CELs, and the likes, without any basis.
This is the reason I paid the additional shop rate at a speed shop.

Before the Duals, I had a Gibson ST on the truck, pretty much straight through design similar to the Bassanis.

Total time on the clock with the "bad choice" 20,000 miles between the 2 systems, no CEL.

Don't know what you are trying to trick on the last set of HO2S . ???? That just does not make sense to me at all.

Damn It, why didn't Mike tell us about this ( yes that is a BIG joke ). And damn that Neal how is is running his..I know he pulled the light bulb from behind the CEL instrument area ( again with the jokes ).

No offense intended, but without the DTC, I could not even suspect how this gets attached to a muffler change out.

Quick Reply: To all the Magnaflow experts