received my Magnaflow 15609 from Troyer Performance, but got a problem....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
received my Magnaflow 15609 from Troyer Performance, but got a problem....

I ordered a Magnaflow 15906 cat-back system from Troyer Performance last week and I received it today. I couldn't wait to get started on it after work. Got started and found out what I had hoped wouldn't happen. As you all probably know the '97 & '98 F-150 stock exhaust exits before the rear tire, but the '99+ exits after. This kit is supposedly a direct bolt on for '97-'03 F-150. I understood that the tailpipe would exit after the tire except before like the stock setup, which is fine with me. The problem is the factory rubber tailpipe hanger is before the axle and the Magnaflow kit has the hanger welded on the tailpipe after the axle. I was affraid this would happen but I assumed that Magnaflow had a way to take care of it for the '97-'98. I called the Magnaflow tech support and the dude said I was the first person he heard of with this problem and the only thing he could suggest was to try to make a hanger for it where needed. I know I can come up with something. I could easily go to the local auto store and get one of those universal bolt on hangers, but I don't want some ghetto looking setup. I don't want a nice looking exhaust system being held on with some cheap *** auto zone bracket. The point is that you'd think that after spending a few hundred dollars on a "bolt on" kit there wouldn't need any fabbing to get the kit to work. I'm sure other '97-'98 owners have bought this kit and had the same problem. Why would Magnaflow not know the difference between the exhaust on those years. Why not have it listed for '99+. The kit looks great though, nice quality. Anyhow, sorry for the long rant. The reason for my post was to ask if any other '97-'98 owners have installed this kit and what did you do to make it work. I'd rather just make it fit rather than go through the hassle of sending it back.

*edit* Sorry, just realized I posted this in the regular exhaust section and not the aftermarket exhaust systems section like I should have.

Last edited by Jarrett97F150; 06-10-2003 at 11:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:37 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Regular exhaust section of Aftermarket - doesn't seem to matter.

Anyway, I would first call Mike T to ask if he has any suggestions. The only other thing I can suggest is to stop by an exhaust shop and have them weld a hanger for you. Mabe they can make something that will look better. Or, just stop by and let them look at your truck. Maybe they can just give you an idea.

Old 06-12-2003, 11:29 PM
Well I got back under there today to check it out some more. Figured out that this system won't even fit at all. If I line the twin hangers on the muffler up with the factory ones, the tailpipe doesn't reach the muffler and also the mid pipe between the cats and the muffler is about a foot too long. If I line up the mid pipe with where it connects to the stock system, then the output of the muffler is almost at the axle leaving no room for the tailpipe. So it looks like I'll be calling Mike T to set up a return. I want to check out some '98 or '99+ F150's to see what the factory hanger locations look like and where they're at. I'm suspecting that the '97 ('98?) is different. I've looked on Borla's website and noticed that they have different systems listed for '97 and '98+. I was so excited about getting this system installed because of all the praise that it's gotten on here. The way that those of you who have it talk about it, I think it's exactly what I'm looking for (sound). I'm so dissapointed that it seems as though Magnaflow's R&D department didn't do their homework too well. Now I just need to find a place witha good price on a Borla kit, or maybe a Gibson. I'm looking for something with a deep mellow tone, not much in cab drone yet a very noticeable sound outside. Oh well, sorry for another long post.

Old 06-15-2003, 01:58 PM
Have you heard anything yet? I want to get the magnaflow for my 97, but I am waiting to hear the resolution of your problem.

Old 06-16-2003, 07:43 PM
I rode to some used car dealers this weekend and looked at several 99-02 F150's in the same configuration as mine, supercab shortbed. Crawled under them and looked at the factory exhaust. Noticed that the hangers are in completely different places than my '97. The bracket on my truck that has the double hangers for the muffler is mounted to one of the crossmembers and extends toward the front of the truck. The '99+ trucks that I saw had this bracket mounted in the same spot, but extending toward the rear of the truck. I thought I could flip this bracket around but to get to the nuts to unbolt it you;d have to take the bed off. Since the kit exits after the tire an additional hanger would have to be added to the truck after the rear tire, since the stock setup exits before. This wouldn't be so bad to do. I figured it was too much trouble to try to get this kit to fit, especially having to pay so much for a "bolt-on" kit. I called Troyer Performance today and they got a Magnaflow rep. to call me. We figured out that this kit won't fit without a good bit of modification. Troyer contacted me again to get the return authorization info setup, and they told me they couldn't refund the shipping, which was $40. So I'd lose $40, plus I'd have to pay $40 to ship it back, so in essence I'd be paying $80 just to find out that this kit won't fit on my truck, although Magnaflow advertises otherwise. I asked Troyer to give me a week to try to sell the kit so I don't lose so much on shipping, and if I can't sell it I'll just have to settle for returning it and lose the shipping. I'm going to try to sell it on ebay and also on a local auto site. I'd try to sell it here but I'm sure anyone here could just buy it from Troyer Performance and not have to pay that extra shipping I'm trying to recoup .

Old 06-16-2003, 08:39 PM
I'm a little disappointed to hear you have to pay for return shipping and that the original shipping wasn't refunded. Thats not the customer service I would have expected from them based on what I have read here and my experience buying from them.

From their website....

"15609 Magnaflow cat-back exhaust system for the 1997-2003 Ford F-150 with 4.6 or 5.4 V8 engines. Fits most body configurations in 2WD or 4WD, Extended cab short-bed (which is by far the most common) as well as SuperCrew. Can also be used on the very rare Extended cab long-bed configurations with a short additional length of stainless tubing which we can supply. Will also fit regular cab by slightly shortening the systems intermediate pipe, which is easily done."

I like the "Fits most body configurations" part. Thats the way out I guess.

It certainly seems to be advertised as a system that would fit a 97 with little modification. I know when I talked to them, they thought it was a simple bolt up mod. They thought it would run just like the stock exhaust, and come out before the wheel.

I guess it is still a new part and the lessons learned are going to be coming out.

Sorry to hear about your trouble, but I sure you saved a few of us the same problem!

Thanks

Old 06-16-2003, 11:45 PM
Why go thru all that trouble returning it? Put the system in your bed, get in the truck and take it to your local muffler shop! I'm sure they could bolt it on and weld it for a leak free professional installation. With the headache, money and time lost returning it, then looking for another system all together, you coud've spent the effort getting it installed at your local muffler shop. ...just think of this extra expenditure an investment. ...you wont be sorry...

Last edited by kaliscrew2k2; 06-16-2003 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:07 AM
Good point.

That $40 shipping fee will knock off a good chunk of the installation charge!

Old 06-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Re: received my Magnaflow 15609 from Troyer Performance, but got a problem....

Originally posted by Jarrett97F150
As you all probably know the '97 & '98 F-150 stock exhaust exits before the rear tire, but the '99+ exits after.
I know that MY 98 exits behind the rear wheel. Always has.

Old 06-18-2003, 12:10 PM
APT
BTW, there is a TSB on getting the exhaust to exit behind the rear wheel for 97 models. My brother has a 97. After a couple years, the wheel cap was corroded. The dealer repalced the cap and moved the exhaust. Presumeably, they added hangers. Maybe you can get the dealer to do that first, then you can bolt on the 15609.

Old 06-18-2003, 04:50 PM
TWO WORDS: Custom Exhaust. I paid $299 for a true dual- 2 flowmasters and chrome 18" tips that exited out in front of real wheel. This of course, included installation. The muffler shop did a great job of installing this setup and the only break I had in it was from 4 wheeling when I broke a small weld and they fixed it for free. Plus, most places will let you watch them install it, which is cool- you get to see what you are paying for. Look in the yellow pages for a good reputable muffler shop in your area. Everyone I know has their pipes done custom. Dual custom pipes with glasspacks only runs $150 down here. Now thats a deal.

Old 06-25-2003, 11:31 PM
I just went to a local shop that sold magnaflow. I had a 5x8x18 with 3" pipe and 18" SS tip put on. WHOA....I like the sound. Thanks to all those who posted regarding the sounds. I used this site for my decision.

I called several places from the magnaflow web site. I was trying to get a 15609 system put on my 97. After reading that it wasn't a bolt on installation and it required hangers installed, etc, I wanted to have someone else install it. Only one said he would install it, but he would recommend just installing the aluminized components....the others all said to just install the aluminized components. I am sure if I pushed it, they would have installed it, but they were concerned about the cost. They don't even want to install SS mufflers. "They all have a lifetime warrenty, why install SS when you can't see it?"

I had the aluminzed components installed, with a SS tip which comes out after the tire. Looks nice and sounds great and cost was much less.

Old 06-29-2003, 11:49 PM
Update!

After listing it on ebay and not having the reserve met, I tried to sell it locally. Couldn't find anyone to buy it. I decided to look into it more to see how I'd have to get it to fit. After about 4 hrs of work I got it done. It was a total PITA. I just couldn't see losing $80 so I had to install it. I'm still undecided on the sound. It sounds good, but it's not really what I was expecting. It's not too loud, which is definitely good but I'm just not sure of the tone of the sound. Does this system change any sound after a while?

Old 06-30-2003, 08:37 AM
APT
It should get a little deeper and louder over the first couple thousand miles.

Old 07-29-2003, 10:15 AM
Jarrett.......How did you get it installed? I have a 97 with the exit in front of the right tire. Thinking about getting this set up and would help a lot.

thanks,
TJ

Quick Reply: received my Magnaflow 15609 from Troyer Performance, but got a problem....