Bassani Cat-Back for 02 Screw

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bassani Cat-Back for 02 Screw

I know there has been many threads about Bassani exhausts but I was wondering if this is the system for my truck (I have an 02 4X4 Screw w/a 5.4L) :

http://http://proficientperformance....&Store_Code=PP

Will this system bolt right in....no welding/cutting?? What do you guys think of this price? I also would like to look into Bassani hi-flo cats some day too. I remember an F150on-line member installed the x-pipe (or is it a Y pipe?) with hi-flo cats and dual tips out in front of the rear tire for his Screw. I think his name was Steve? Looked great and that is exactly what I want to do some day.....but I think he dumped over a grand and had a muffler shop do some welding.

Old 06-17-2003, 11:33 PM
Steve=SSCULLY

He has a nice set-up.

-matt

Old 06-18-2003, 01:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I retro fitted a True Dual system for a L to my truck.

Stock Cats still, but the stock Y pipe was cut out and the X pipe that came with the system was installed.

I had a speed shop do the welding and fitting work ( out of Gas and wire for SS on my welder, still haven't gotten it yet ), and there was a bit of of-set bending to get the system to fit 100%.

If you are considering High flow cats and a X pipe, don't speed the money now on a system that you will be removing. I made that mistake already by installing a Gibson ST system, then 18 mos later removing it for the Bassani system ( ~300.00 down the drain ).

I could not get the URL to load a page, and when I looked through the catalog it had the same problem ( Zone Alarm blocked 3rd party cookie settings ).
I think the one you are looking at is the SI/DO cat back system, rather then a X pipe and 2 SI/SO mufflers.
If you are going high flow cats, you might not want to mess with re-installing a better Y pipe, and then re-installing the SI/DO cat back system.

If you are going with true duals, wait and do it all at one time, don't mess around with an interm cat back system is the advice I can give ( don't **** the money down the drain ).

I am waiting a bit for long tube headers to do the high flow cats. Once I install these, I can re-mate the duals to the cat output, as there is about 33" of additional pipe needed to retro the L kit to the SCrew wheel base.
So the "kit" was 1 90* elbow in 2.5" 16 ga 304 SS, and a total of ~60 of 2.5" 16 ga 304 SS pipe along with the "cat-back" for a L.

Glad you think it looks alright, performs great.

Steve

Last edited by SSCULLY; 06-18-2003 at 01:38 AM.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:45 AM
thanks steve for the feedback. your set up is exactly what i'd like to do but with hi-flo cats. yours looks great, seems like you did an OEM quality design.....I wish you had a wave file so I could hear it too!

not sure why the link didn't work (i think its my computer) here is the main web page:

www.proficientperformance.com

click "Bassani", then go down to the "Bassani forward exit cat-back system", then click the "F-150/SUV 97-03" link (6th one down). Its the single in-dual out set up, so I guess it work if and when i decied to do the true duals.

Do you think the true dual set up will net a lot more HP than just a bolt on cat-back? I'm not sure if I want to spend the $$ for your design if it doesn't yeild some serious ponies.

Old 06-18-2003, 11:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Drop me an email in my profile, I have one of an acceleration at speed with the windows open. Haven't gotten to the "no load rev' one yet.

My Zone Alarm was blocking the site, due to 3rd party cookies, it had nothing to do with your computer. I just have the security cranked down kind of tight on my computer.

I don't have the g-tech times here, but I did get lowered 60' times between the Gibson ST and the Bassani System.

Part of the high cost was I used a speed shop for the work, I could not find a muffler shop worth a damn that I would trust to do it. If you have a good muffler shop that can bend and weld SS pipe, you can save some of the cost over what I paid in labor.
The shop rate at the speed shop is the same if he was doing my duals, or building the Blown Ty project he had waiting to deliver.

Check around for a good local muffler shop that can bend and weld SS pipe, and ask them. If they start waxing poetic about getting CELs, and having a rough running engine, walk away. I did that 3 times before I gave up and went to a known qty to have it done.

If nothing else you will be shocked how bad the factory Y pipe is. The driver's side is about 1.5" in diameter when it goes into the pipe from the pass side to form the Y.

Ask around local, Neal did the Magnaflow Duals, at the same time he replaced his old Headers ( JBAs I think ) with Kooks Long Tube Headers as well as took out his old cats for High Flows and did the X pipe and 2 SI/DO mufflers in Magnaflow parts. Don't know if it is any cheaper that route if cost is the main concern.
I don't think uless you can bend and bell SS pipe yourself that the complete install won't be much less then 900 or 1000 as a SWAG.

Part of the high cost is the SS pipe. 16 ga 304 SS 2.5" pipe is not cheap. You can get lower quality SS pipe, but if I was spending 650.00 on the Bassanni parts alone, I was not going to try to save 100.00 in pipe costs by using a lower grade pipe. I think the pipe parts were ~ another 200.00 so there was 850.00 in parts alone.

Ask Mike T what the costs would be for the parts in Magnaflow to get an idea. I got my kit from Chickenears, and the pipe parts from Mike T.

Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

Steve

Quick Reply: Bassani Cat-Back for 02 Screw