FM40's or Open Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003 | 12:43 AM
|
FM40's or Open Pipes

Hey guys I need some opinions. Should I go with Flowmaster 40's SI/DO or dual Staight Pipes? anyone know what either of them sounds like? Thanks. Oh and if you could give me a general price range for either. Thanks!

Old 06-18-2003 | 02:14 PM
I bought the 50 series SUV and had it installed and got no sound from it so I just had them cut it out and put in a new y-pipe for my dual straight pipes. So basically its the factory y-pipe dual going to single into a homemade y-pipe single going back to dual. I thought I'd never go straight pipes but it sound really good! Quiet at highway speeds but mean when you step on it. Cost me $180 for everything at Car-X with custom bent behind the wheels dual exit pipes. This price also included the welding of my SS tips on also. Would have been about $150 out the door without the tips. If I get sick of it eventually I will goto a FM 40.

Old 06-18-2003 | 10:30 PM
Lightbulb

Mr. Thunder;

Go with the 40 series for the agressive sound. If you want to avoid some of the cab drone up it to the 50 series deltaflow. Make sure that your muffler shop starts upgrading your exhaust at the wye behind your cats and opens it up to 3". You will find if you keep your exhaust in a single inlet (you can run one or two outlets), you will have your best overall performance gain.

It's a longwinded explaination but here we go. When your engine goes into it's firing order or when one cylinder fires it creates a pressurized ball so to speak and behind that ball is a vacuum. What happens when that one pulse hits that single 3" pipe is it pulls out the next pulse behind it helping eliminate unessary burn't gas in the cylinder, therefore leaving room for air and fuel our friends for combustion or power! This process continues each time a cylinder fires.

I am new on the sight and own a performance exhaust shop in California. I hope I gave you the answer you wanted and a little bit of extra knowledge to make your best choice.

Pipe dreams can come true!

Old 07-06-2003 | 09:25 PM
Where exactly in california is your shop at???

Old 07-07-2003 | 06:22 PM
I just had straight pipes put on and i opened up a thread on it in this forum. I love the sound and i didnt notice any power loss. It sounds awesome--now i need to save for Magnaflow cats, headers and true dual straightpipes....

Old 07-09-2003 | 02:58 PM
i've had straight pipes after the cats and it sounded GOOD and there was no power loss from stock but then i got a glasspack put on and it had alot more low end but wasn't loud enough,now i have a si do flow 40 and it sounded good with the cats on but it's a hell of alot louder and sounds alot better with em off

Quick Reply: FM40's or Open Pipes