Just a heads up

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 10:36 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Just a heads up

I was in San Antonio Thursday visiting one of the Ford dealerships and saw a memo from Fords Factory Service Director concerning aftermarket exhaust systems. They will be monitoring Triton engines with head and head gasket failures and these low back pressure exhaust systems. According to Ford engineers, it causes low flow thru the EGR and raises combustion and head temps considerably. The end target is to disallow any warranty on these trucks as the owners have essentially modified the emmissions system. As of now, it is in the monitoring stage and not in effect. Heads up.

Old 07-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, as I sit here flipping back and forth between this site and the magnaflow website trying to figure out what it will cost me to replace my aging true dual set up with an all stainless one, that strikes me as a very chicken s**t thing for Ford to do. Cheverolet actually designed thier exhaust systems to have true duals installed by the owner. Just seems like Ford would be a little more sympathetic to the folks that like to buy thier vehicles and tinker with them. Screwing over your customer base doesn't seem very wise in a volatile economy.
Rick

Old 07-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Is this a legitimate problem, or is Ford being foolish. Is there a way to remedy this if it actually does cause problems? Would an aftermarket chip take care of the problem.

Old 07-11-2003, 06:52 PM
This is a perfect example of Ford once again screwing the Customer to save their own butt because of the flawed product they are introducing to the market. Some friends of mine that have always owned Fords is now driving another brand because of this treatment. I've even heard them deny Warranty issues because of a drop-in K&N air filter yet I've had no warranty issues with my wifes Chevy with the K&N.

Old 07-12-2003, 05:30 PM
I think it just denpends on what dealership you go to. I just got rid of my 02 mustang GT that had so many warranty vilations it wasn't funny. I had to bring it in b/c the powerbrake booster was leaking and they covered it under warranty. The service mgr didn't even say a word about the mods. it had long tubes w/ off road x-pipe, cold air, bullit intake, pulleys, timing adjuster, bigger injectors, ignition booster, 87mm mass air, diablo chip and a few other things. I was told if the mod caused the part to go out then the warranty is voided. Such as putting gears in the rearend and the rear diff fluid is leaking.

Old 07-12-2003, 05:48 PM
I think that sucks too, but everyone is trying to save a penny nowadays. I'm gonna guess it's going to take Ford some time before they can build up the sample size to accurately correlate head gasket failures with dual exhaust. Anyway, I just lifted the truck, so the warranty is out the window anyway

Mike

Old 07-21-2003, 08:07 PM
I drove my Dad's 03 Harley yesterday and it sounds great, just what I am looking for, real nice tone. my question is this; how does Ford say that reduced back pressure causes EGR and head problems when the HD has to have less back pressure than a stock F-150.

Quick Reply: Just a heads up